Media Forbes: Conor Mcgregor is #1 highest earning athlete beats out Messi

He is smart. He used the prestige and popularity that comes from being a UFC fighter and build a company selling a product. Others fighters should do that instead of expecting UFC to give them millions. UFC keeps the millions because fans don't care about fighters, they care about UFC.

DJ was P4P King for years until he lost a split decision and went away. Fans don't care where he went, they kept watching the UFC events and moved on and didn't bother watching him in his next fights.

People complain about Paddy Mcdowell winning only 20k per fight in the prelims. Then Paddy Mcdowell gets cut and the same people are putting the whothefook.gif on his thread. And this is sherdog, where the hardcores obsess about the sport. Imagine how much the casuals care about poor Paddy

Last week Werdum fought for PFL, Rumble fought for Bellator and Michelle Waterson fought for UFC. Fans only watched UFC and look online for HL of the KOs in the others. UFC event was so watered down that you could easily switch their roster for that event with the one on PFL or Bellator. And still nobody would have watched PFL/Bellator and everyone would have watched UFC.

Whenever people complain about fighter pay... I actually think they are overpaid. Because no fan really gives a fuck about them to follow them outside the UFC and they are not making 20k in the prelims of Bellator

Maybe he should just buy himself a win.

He is smart. He used the prestige and popularity that comes from being a UFC fighter and build a company selling a product. Others fighters should do that instead of expecting UFC to give them millions. UFC keeps the millions because fans don't care about fighters, they care about UFC.

DJ was P4P King for years until he lost a split decision and went away. Fans don't care where he went, they kept watching the UFC events and moved on and didn't bother watching him in his next fights.

People complain about Paddy Mcdowell winning only 20k per fight in the prelims. Then Paddy Mcdowell gets cut and the same people are putting the whothefook.gif on his thread. And this is sherdog, where the hardcores obsess about the sport. Imagine how much the casuals care about poor Paddy

Last week Werdum fought for PFL, Rumble fought for Bellator and Michelle Waterson fought for UFC. Fans only watched UFC and look online for HL of the KOs in the others. UFC event was so watered down that you could easily switch their roster for that event with the one on PFL or Bellator. And still nobody would have watched PFL/Bellator and everyone would have watched UFC.

Whenever people complain about fighter pay... I actually think they are overpaid. Because no fan really gives a fuck about them to follow them outside the UFC and they are not making 20k in the prelims of Bellator
So if fans don't care about fighters and care about the UFC, why does every UFC PPV not sell identical numbers? Or at least in the same neighborhood of buys?

The Conor finance fans must be whacking themselves into a frenzy over this! They've been obnoxious little twats for months/years on the internet saying he's the best ever goat in MMA, turns out it was complete bollocks. At least he's rich though! I don't get why that makes some random nobhead on Sherdog happy? The guy you idolised and claimed was the best clearly isn't, so you then fall back to supporting Conor the businessman rather than Conor the fighter? WTF is wrong with you kids?

So if fans don't care about fighters and care about the UFC, why does every UFC PPV not sell identical numbers? Or at least in the same neighborhood of buys?
Fans will skip an event that doesn't have "big names" and tune up for one that has them but they have showed to not care to follow these "big names" when they get out of the UFC. These "big names" only seem to carry weight when they fight in the UFC brand. And these big names are all winning millions already so they won't leave anyway (Masvidal, Conor, Jones, Nate Diaz, etc...). It's still the same. Fans will only care about UFC in the end.

Fans will skip an event that doesn't have "big names" and tune up for one that has them but they have showed to not care to follow these "big names" when they get out of the UFC. These "big names" only seem to carry weight when they fight in the UFC brand. And these big names are all winning millions already so they won't leave anyway (Masvidal, Conor, Jones, Nate Diaz, etc...). It's still the same. Fans will only care about UFC in the end.
What big names left the UFC and are with other promotions now? I agree that the UFC has, to its credit and probably the detriment of the over all sport, built up a good amount of brand power. But people overblown it. Conor or Jones do big numbers with or without the UFC. Less, but still massive

It will be really funny reading some sherbro’s accusing him of fighting solely for money and not for loving the game.
He is literally the only guy on the roster who don’t need the UFC money and still keeps on fighting.

What big names left the UFC and are with other promotions now? I agree that the UFC has, to its credit and probably the detriment of the over all sport, built up a good amount of brand power. But people overblown it. Conor or Jones do big numbers with or without the UFC. Less, but still massive
Rumble fought this week in Bellator and did shit numbers. The UFC drops periodically big names like Pettis, Yoel, Rumble, Werdum and Overeem because they know that the fans won't follow them and watch them even if they go fight in the #2 promotion.

A name as big as Jones is very rare. The dude has been undefeated at the top for 15 almost years. But even him if he went to Bellator I feel would be a 1 time thing for the casuals watching Bellator until he losses in which case the hype will stop and his value would decrease in a big way. Similar to the Fedor hype 12 years ago with Affliction and Strikeforce

Conor is an anomaly. He sells and BIG TIME everywehere he goes, as many times as he fights. That's why he is winning 20 mill per fight.

22 Million for UFC 257. Seems legit.
<DontBelieve1>

Do they just pull these number out of their ass?

When did running your mouth on Twitter constitute someone as an athlete?

This is actually much closer to what I would expect given the multi-partner nature and stepped up purchase price of his liquor brand. I would say most sherdoggers might be surprised at what company founders actually get after taxes, incentive fees etc are accounted for. In Mcgregor's case, he lives a fairly lavish lifestyle which often the big banks will finance against owners equity, so for this year at least I would estimate he takes home comfortably less than $100M, possibly half that. I hope for his sake he has a good (and conservative) financial advisor, he earns plenty of money but appears to spend plenty as well.

View attachment 854042

This year, McGregor lands the winning punch, having leveraged his unmatched popularity in mixed martial arts to build a lucrative hustle outside UFC’s Octagon. The brash McGregor collected a total of $180 million over the last 12 months; most of that comes from his recent sale of his majority stake in whiskey brand Proper No. Twelve to Proximo Spirits for $150 million. It’s the 32-year-old’s first time at No. 1 and his second appearance in the top ten (he landed at No. 4 with $99 million in 2018 after the fight against Mayweather). McGregor clearly wants to put his money to work even beyond booze: He has floated the far-fetched notion of buying Manchester United, the Premier League’s most valuable team, in recent tweets.

Adding in his endorsements, McGregor made $158 million outside of his fighting career over the last 12 months, becoming only the third athlete, after Roger Federer and Tiger Woods, to earn more than $70 million off the field in a single year while still actively competing.

Three other superstars also surpassed $100 million in total earnings this year: soccer stars Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo and NFL quarterback Dak Prescott.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brettk...tars-unfazed-by-the-pandemic/?sh=1519ce8b26f4

TLDR: Gooby is fucken rich playahh lol
impressive

I'm a fan, but lol at the talks of buying Manchester United, you need billions to even considering owning a Premierleague Football Team.

Back