Forbes blasts the UFC after McGregor is compared to Ali

wowspare

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/21/7865169/forbes-blasts-ufc-conor-mcgregor-muhammad-ali

Prior to his bout against Dennis Siver this past weekend, the UFC has been pushing this "Irish Ali" comparison on Conor McGregor. Most fans have found the marketing push to be absurd, and even McGregor himself has gone on record to distance himself from the comparison.

"For me, Muhammad Ali is a special individual," McGregor said. "He is out on his own, and I cannot lay claim to something like that. He changed the cultural landscape of the world. So, Muhammad Ali is a special human being. For people to say that, I am honored. But Ali is a special, special man. I am on my own journey and doing what I do best."

But the ads rolled nonetheless, and the comparisons have continued up until the UFC broadcast. Mainstream outlets have taken notice, and Mark Heisler from Forbes has slammed the promotion in an article called 'If You Wonder How Close UFC's 'Irish Ali' Is To The Real One, Not Very'.

Here's an excerpt:

... That would be really popular. The actual Ali is arguably the biggest sports star ever despite being an African-American who flew in the face of approval rather than courting it when he refused induction into the Armed Services.

Well, it would make McGregor really popular if it was true.

Passionate as UFC fans are, they

Forbes going hard... just a shame they don't know shit about MMA. Why are they having a go at UFC's competition when the NBA/NFL have absolutely no competition either? I hate journalism.

Also you're ranking these American sports with viewings when the world cup and champion league finals get billions of dollars worth of viewing.

Saw this coming when they first started saying that, guys good no doubt. and he might even turn out to be THAT good, but its too soon to tell and to make that claim was pretty outlandish, no wonder he distanced himself from it. At least it shows his boastfulness has limits, actually makes me like him mcgregor a bit more.

The article is pretty dead on. inb4 butthurt UFC fans

Forbes via Bloody Elbow said:
The Forbes article went on to rank the top 10 sports organizations in terms of annual rights fees for their TV broadcasts. He had NFL and NBA with the highest numbers at 5 and 2.9 billion dollars respectively, with others such as MLB, NASCAR, NCAA, PGA tour, NHL and college football all listed above the UFC.

The UFC is number 9 on Forbes' list with $100 million, and only has the WNBA ranked below them.

lmao

"bigger than soccer"

Agreed. Pretty terrible of the ufc to compare Ali to the GOAT. Ali is nowhere near the GOAT's level.

The UFC is making their own bed with this type of stuff. The more mainstream they are, the more criticism that will come their way.

I hate the word "Humble" but they need to be humble going into this next phase

Not a good comparison at all. Sometimes hyping up fighters can go way to far as in this case.

Why is Ali so overrated as a person? He was not a very nice guy. At all.

I mean... UFC is surging recently... not all good though (lawsuit, Jones etc...)
And for those delusional McGregor fans, he's the Green.
0HzF98s.png

Because he had the balls to say things like this in such a hateful time (And thousands of other stuff Im not going to post)
[YT]4LvNDn1eBNw[/YT]

And done in such a smart and charismatic way.

No one thinks Ali was "Nice". He had balls. Gusto. Rage. Impact. Importance.
He would be the last person to describe himself as "Nice". After he came back from the Olympics, his life and views were based in a lot of inner turmoil and hate none of us can really imagine, and he used those things to become even greater than anyone thought he or any heavyweight boxer could be. Very important individual in modern culture. Very brave. Not nice.

Because he had the balls to say things like this in such a hateful time (And thousands of other stuff Im not going to post)
[YT]4LvNDn1eBNw[/YT]

And done in such a smart and charismatic way.

Ali vs Flair for a public office would have been grand

[YT]7EtAtvBFm_k[/YT]

No one thinks Ali was "Nice". He had balls. Gusto. Rage. Impact. Importance.
He would be the last person to describe himself as "Nice". After he came back from the Olympics, his life and views were based in a lot of inner turmoil and hate none of us can really imagine, and he used those things to become even greater than anyone thought he or any heavyweight boxer could be. Very important individual in modern culture. Very brave. Not nice.

You also have to take into account he came from a very different time when having that edge and burden he carried was a bit more.... necessary. But Ali also did have a moral compass and he stood by it.

Back