For those who like to use spider guard...

billzar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How long did it take for you to feel relatively decent at spider guard since first starting it? Been doing it for probably half a year and still feel difficulty hitting sweeps/submissions with any facility. Guard retention and recovery is decent, but it's been frustrating getting sweeps.

How long did it take for you to feel relatively decent at spider guard since first starting it? Been doing it for probably half a year and still feel difficulty hitting sweeps/submissions with any facility. Guard retention and recovery is decent, but it's been frustrating getting sweeps.

This is one of the first sweeps I started to use. (And still use) Its great on white belts and people not used to spiderguard because they always try to pass on the wrong side and actually HELP you sweep them. They think they are getting to side control then WHOOOP. you failed.

are you taught these sweeps by an instructor or is this just stuff u've seen in competition?

My spider guard is funky. I'll actually have double wrist control and push away, strecthing them out and taking their base out from underneath them and then so far I've only pulled off triangles like that, but I haven't gone for anything else cuz I'm a noob. I call it my daddy long legs guard.

The sweep Poppa Rotzee posted has worked great for me although a lot of guys in my classes are becoming wise to it and know not to pass to that side. I also dont really do the leg weave on the one arm I just put my shin on the inside of the bicep. Haven't

I suck at it. De la Riva too.

And pretty much everything else! LOL!

The sweep Poppa Rotzee posted has worked great for me although a lot of guys in my classes are becoming wise to it and know not to pass to that side. I also dont really do the leg weave on the one arm I just put my shin on the inside of the bicep. Haven't

If they don't pass to the wrong side, I just get on my side, then flip over for the omoplata.

(I fast forwarded it to where I do it in this old video of me rolling..if it doesn't work, its around 1 min)
YouTube - Colby Black Vs Bing - BJJ WAR

Last edited:
Well, TalkShowMute, you're at the perfect place to learn. The internet is an excellent resource.

The spider guard was my first go-to guard recommended by my instructor due to my previous experience as a gymnast. That being said, it took maybe 4 months for me to feel relatively comfortable with and proficient at it. I love to throw triangles from it, armbars, but most definitely my favorite sweep is when I slowly let them stand up and try to stack me... a quick pull over my head and flying they go. :)

However, as nice and exciting that guard is, I have put it in the background for a little bit in training as it is important for me now to develop my other guards. I have become decent at turtle guard and I have been drilling strongly half guard top and bottom.

I'll let you know when I get there...

My spider guard, aside from using it to get back to closed guard or some sort of open guard, is pretty much non-existent/crap.

The only thing I can regularly do from spider guard, aside from playing around with them for a few seconds, or going back to closed guard, is to lace a leg through their arm, fake resistance when they go to pass on the other side, let them pass, triangle my legs, and then bicep slice them. That's basically the extent of my spider guard.

It's tricky to sweep people from spider guard because you're not controlling the hips at all. The one Poppa posted is good but very basic and hard to catch good guys with. Most experienced guys will stand up to pass spider guard because they realize it's almost impossible to pass spider from the knees. In that case I like the sweep where you let go of one of his arms, hook under the leg and go to almost like an x-guard position and sweep from there.

I use alot of spider guard. I use it when people have a low posture or is pushing in to me (If they postures up/backs away I go to De la Riva).

My favorite attacks are:

The triangle (triangle your opponent when he opens the elbow that you want to slide your leg under, the arm that will be in the triangle)

The Omoplata: Use when you have a big angle and your opponent opens the nearest elbow.

This sweep:
YouTube - BjjWeekly.com ISSUE #010 EXPERT: Abmar Barbosa
I use this sweep when my opponent puts his weight to high/over me. Golden.

IMO It's important to also have a way to attack when opp. is having a high posture/backs away. You need to attack the legs and De la Riva is a way of doing that.

If anyone wonders my go to moves from de la riva is: Rollover sweep (Push the far leg away, make opp. fall forward) and the tomoe nage (when pushing into me).

It's tricky to sweep people from spider guard because you're not controlling the hips at all. The one Poppa posted is good but very basic and hard to catch good guys with. Most experienced guys will stand up to pass spider guard because they realize it's almost impossible to pass spider from the knees. In that case I like the sweep where you let go of one of his arms, hook under the leg and go to almost like an x-guard position and sweep from there.

Huh, I hit that sweep against standing opponents all the time. It is actually a very effective sweep against standing opponents. If you don't actually hit the sweep you have a lot of transitions to capitalize on their reactions. Omoplata, Omoplata sweep, there is a back take, a transition to x guard, etc.

My go to sequence from Spider Guard is the sweep Romulo Barral does a lot (Foot in bicep, push that bicep over their head, other foot blocks hip/knee, other hand pulls sleeve towards you). From there, if that fails, I triangle or omoplata (or go into the whole triangle, armbar, omoplata sequence).

It took me months to have an adequate spider guard. I started off using it on newer guys, then newer guys and smaller guys that were my skill level. Then guys my size, my skill level, and now on guys my skill level and bigger. Bit proud of how I progressed with it, TBH.

I am a blue belt. i've been trying to learn spider guard techniques all along. I never pulled them off in rolling until a few weeks ago. All of a sudden it just all came together, now I am playing spider and DLR all the time. That's how jiu jitsu is sometimes.

I'm 2 weeks into training and was rolling with a brown belt the other night and got swept like this. Right before I started to pass I thought, "This is too easy...", but went anyway to see what would happen. Then we both laughed.

This is one of the first sweeps I started to use. (And still use) Its great on white belts and people not used to spiderguard because they always try to pass on the wrong side and actually HELP you sweep them. They think they are getting to side control then WHOOOP. you failed.

im am pretty proficient with it. lately i have been using it as a conduit to other means of attacking (ie. de la riva, sit up etc)

about 2 solid private lessons. but it was mostly effective as a sub sequence against white belts. Now I use it to set more options up. Mostly if some one is just making life difficult in my guard, I use spider guard to open space quickly and take it from there. are they responsive to the guard? no? ok then go for a sub or sweep. if yes, then use that space to stand up or reset your game plan.

It was suggested to me to use because of my grip strength. the hardest part for me to get used to was using my hips as much if not more than my legs/arms. I just had to remember what a buddy would tell me. "picture you are steering a giant bus wheel. with a base that large you cannot use just your arms, you have to use your sholders. your hips are your shoulders" and it makes ALL the difference.

It took me about a year and a half of getting my guard passed before I felt comfortable in spider guard.

I'm still not very good at it. I can hold the position and transition and what not, but sweeps are rare for me. De La Riva guard is a much more natural fit. Anyhow, the way I learned spider guard was by implementing this guard first.

YouTube - John Machado Insider X-Control Part 1

It allows me to transition between closed guard and spider guard very easily, and has a bunch of sweeping options to boot.

Last edited:
Back