For those who defend the Rozen/Reem call as a TKO, what do you consider a knockdown?

It was stopped ostensibly for a TKO
The fight was called a KO, not a TKO. There is a big distinction here and I'm going to explain below.
Dan should have let the fight go for as long as Overeem was in no immediate danger.
There is no 10 count in MMA. When a fighter is deemed unconscious by the referee at any point in the fight, regardless of their state of consciousness after the call was made, the fight is to be ended by way of knockout. This isn't boxing.

Dan was looking directly in the direction of Overeem while the knockout was happening. He was in a perfect position to see if Reem was conscious or not conscious while he was falling down. He believed Reem was unconscious on contact of that punch, and so do I considering his entire body goes fully limp while he was dropping. By the rules of MMA the fight is supposed to be stopped. Anything afterwards is academic. The fight is already ruled a knockout while the fighter is still in the air.

Last edited:
The ref can call “time” in a situation like that, the doctor looks at it and makes the decision. At that time the ref can then inform the fighters to get back to swinging or it’s over.

The ref in an “injury “ situation doesn’t end the fight, just pause it for thebDr’s

So in that scenario it was STILL done INCORRECTLY

Did Herb Dean call in the doctor to stop the fight when Anderson Silva snapped his leg in his second fight with Weidman? Please, can you prove to me that it is incorrect for a referee to stop a fight if he deems an injury too severe for a fighter to continue? Can I see some sort of written proof of your argument in the rules?

This wasn't a cut above the eyebrow. Rozenstruik disfigured and mutilated Overeem's face with one shot.

If you were the ref, would YOU have had to call in a doctor to ask if a fighter can continue with his lip hanging off his face, when you're able to see his fucking teeth when he closes his mouth? Knowing that you also have the authority to protect a fighter in the event of an injury and the ability to veto the need for a doctor assessment? Was a doctor really fucking necessary here? Was a doctor necessary for Herb Dean to deduce that Anderson Silva's leg was broken?

Come on, man. *facepalm*

He wasn't out at all. Rozen could have easily finished with follow up punches but walked away like an idiot. This is very similar to Bisping vs Anderson. Silva probably could have finished Bisping after that amazing flying knee, but even though he was very hurt, Bisping was not out and because Anderson started walking away and celebrating there was no extra pressure for the ref (Herb Dean if I remember correctly) to stop the fight.
Bisping immediately defends himself and, after the round ends, gets up and walks to his corner.
Overeem sits there on the floor with BOTH of his hands down, looking at nowhere, and then walks to the land of nowhere (*before* the bell), having no idea what the fuck happened (and this is when the ref stopped)

He clearly goes fully limp... He even goes limp in the exact same manor he did against Ngannou.
CarelessLittleAmphiuma-size_restricted.gif

20f2x4.gif

The only difference between the two knockouts is that Reem wakes back up when he hits the cage.
One he is unconscious one he’s staring at his opponent and conscious. One he gets up immediately and one he doesn’t. You’re not correct here sorry

Did Herb Dean call in the doctor to stop the fight when Anderson Silva snapped his leg in his second fight with Weidman? Please, can you prove to me that it is incorrect for a referee to stop a fight if he deems an injury too severe for a fighter to continue? Can I see some sort of written proof of your argument in the rules?

This wasn't a cut above the eyebrow. Rozenstruik disfigured and mutilated Overeem's face with one shot.

If you were the ref, would YOU have had to call in a doctor to ask if a fighter can continue with his lip hanging off his face, when you're able to see his fucking teeth when he closes his mouth? Knowing that you also have the authority to protect a fighter in the event of an injury and the ability to veto the need for a doctor assessment? Was a doctor really fucking necessary here? Was a doctor necessary for Herb Dean to deduce that Anderson Silva's leg was broken?

Come on, man. *facepalm*
The Silva leg is different, he obviously could not continue. In the rules the ref is allowed to stop the fight for broken bones etc. cuts have to go to the dr. It’s in the rules.

Reem could have, cuts have to bleed into the eye and limit vision normally to stop the fight.

https://www.mmaweekly.com/official-mma-rules

Bisping immediately defends himself and, after the round ends, gets up and walks to his corner.
Overeem sits there on the floor with BOTH of his hands down, looking at nowhere, and then walks to the land of nowhere (*before* the bell), having no idea what the fuck happened (and this is when the ref stopped)
Both of his hands were down for a split fucking second as he was using them to get up?? Wtf man

Wow dude, you are reaching. Bisping didn't defend himself in any way. He collapsed and couldn't even get back up until after the round ended. Reem immediately stands up after getting dropped.

You didn't need to, the Ref stopped the fight so the cut wasn't his reason for stopping the fight cause he cannot stop fights due to cuts. That's why it's stupid that people are bringing up cuts when it wasn't a doctor's stoppage.
I did not say it was.

I was saying if the fight continued that it would have been stopped because of the cut if the time did not run out first.

Are we really considering flash knockdowns to be knockouts now?

If you think this stoppage was good, I assume you also think Silva KOed Bisping?

The Silva leg is different, he obviously could not continue. In the rules the ref is allowed to stop the fight for broken bones etc. cuts have to go to the dr. It’s in the rules.

Reem could have, cuts have to bleed into the eye and limit vision normally to stop the fight.

https://www.mmaweekly.com/official-mma-rules

"a fighter appears to have developed significant injuries (such as a broken bone) in the referee’s view."

It wasn't a broken bone but it certainly was a significant injury. Wouldn't call it a normal cut and you'd have to be daft to sit there and tell be Reem could've continued because the huge gash that was all the way up to his nostrils was not 'bleeding into how eyes' lmfao.

It was when he started falling around Dan stopped it..

What’s the problem here
Did you not see Dan run up and stand right over Overeems legs as Overeem is getting up? Dan is right on top of him and of course Overeem gets knocked off balance. Plus who gives a fuck if he stumbles? So any time a fighter does the stank leg, you saying it should be stopped? Or after a big punch and knockdown? Pussification of MMA is real.

Did you not see Dan run up and stand right over Overeems legs as Overeem is getting up? Dan is right on top of him and of course Overeem gets knocked off balance. Plus who gives a fuck if he stumbles? So any time a fighter does the stank leg, you saying it should be stopped? Or after a big punch and knockdown? Pussification of MMA is real.
<{JustBleed}>

You’re wearing a tapout shirt... aren’t you

It’s a close call. A premature knockdown stoppage is what happened in the Ladd de Randamie fight. If Dan hadn’t called it, we would’ve seen Overeem eat another punch or two and truly go out cold. I’m kind of indifferent. I will say though that I was at the fight and it looked totally vicious in person. Overeem collapsing was like an earthquake.

Or we would have seen him walk off like he won then 4 seconds later lose the decision. Probably the dumbest stoppage ive ever seen. I would have understood if he stopped it immediately, but stopping it after overeem instantly gets up? Lol

If this was Mark Hunt you'd all be cheering yet another walk-off KO.

It was a fucking terrible stoppage period, he got right back up and there was 4 seconds left.....Dan fucked over Reem big time...nasty cut though but really really bad stoppage.

if this was a knockout, so was anderson's versus bisping.

convince me they're different
Fair point and very true

That was a rare fight tho, very rareLy will a fight allowed to be continued after a legit knockout

Running is a staple in Econoreem's game.....
BareBitterIndochinesetiger-size_restricted.gif

SinfulBronzeAlbertosaurus-size_restricted.gif

This stoppage just showed how much the average Sherdogger's knowledge and memory in the fight game is.

I’m not taking a hard stance here but let me ask you a question: if I drop you and decide not to take top position and you’re asked to stand back up but can’t do it, should the ref stop it?

Absolutely. But what does that have do with this stoppage, where Overeem stood up by himself immediately?

Absolutely. But what does that have do with this stoppage, where Overeem stood up by himself immediately?
He could not stand unassisted. He was not able to stand up, let alone fight at that moment

Back