For those who defend the Rozen/Reem call as a TKO, what do you consider a knockdown?

Usually the follow-up gives the knocked down Fighter a chance to clinch and regain some composure, with 4 seconds to go there was a decent chance for Overeem to survive. On the other hand there was a decent chance there would be more serious damage, so as a longtime Overeemfan I’m fine with the stoppage

Congrats- you completely missed the point.

Your point was that referees make mistakes, yes? My response is that both the reasons you have listed as causes for that are irrelevant in this situation. Dan had plenty of time to pick and choose his decision, and in my opinion, he chose incorrectly.

He saw the ref as he started to run in, why was he running in like a scalded cat if not to stop the fight.

He was already walking away, watch the fight, the only reason he could see the ref is cause he already turned around and started walking away.

Your point was that referees make mistakes, yes? My response is that both the reasons you have listed as causes for that are irrelevant in this situation. Dan had plenty of time to pick and choose his decision, and in my opinion, he chose incorrectly.
Jesus Christ I actually have to spell it out for you...

There is NO EXACT CLEAR DEFINITION OF THE EXACT POINT AT WHICH A KNOCKDOWN BECOMES A KO IN MMA.

Breathe.
Read.
Then read it again.

That’s the point.

Whether you think the call was right or wrong doesn’t matter and this type of situation is going to continue to exist.

Rozen walked off because he saw the ref rushing in to stop the fight. If the ref hadn't rushed in he'd have clipped him again and God know's what would have happened. I can understand folk who lost money being a little salty but Overeem fans should be grateful their guy missed out on the follow-up clout.
Fighters don’t know what a referee is rushing in to do. Anytime there’s the potential for a fight finishing sequence, refs are supposed to be right on top of the action. If a fighter walks away because they see a ref rushing in, they have made a mistake. I’m really not one of those Just Bleed motherfuckers that wants to see fighters take unnecessary damage. But sometimes follow up punches are (to quote the great poet Jorge Masvidal) “super necessary.” Stoppage was a bit quick, and therefore bad.

So many things can happen in a fight, especially mma. You'll never have 100% clean situations all the time. IMO, walk off should be banned. You're not there to stop the fight as a fighter, it's ref's job to do it. I'm not saying you're supposed to kill your opponent who's been struck down, but this walk off shit is really pissing me off. All the guys know what they sign in for and what can happen if they get knocked down. You do your job and make ref's job easier by doing your own.

So is MMA going to be boxing now where fights get stopped simply because a fighter is rocked?

Overeem wasn't unconscious and wasn't given a chance to defend himself when he popped up.

Fuck off

Jesus Christ I actually have to spell it out for you...

There is NO EXACT CLEAR DEFINITION OF THE EXACT POINT AT WHICH A KNOCKDOWN BECOMES A KO IN MMA.

You had to spell it out because it's an irrelevant fact in a thread about opinion.

Breathe.
Read.
Then read it again.

Take your own advice and reread my original post to begin the thread. "Those of you who defend the stoppage, what do you consider a knockdown, and when should the fight be stopped or left to continue?" The point is not to set up a ruling body and a medical team to pinpoint the exact wave pattern in an EEG that determines a fighter can't continue. The point is to find out why some people are so adamant this was a good stoppage when there's such precedent for allowing a fighter to continue in these situations, particularly given all the factors at play here.

Should Overeem have been allowed to continue to fight with the injury to his face? Well, there's your answer. The knockdown is redundant. That's a can of worms that doesn't even need to be opened.

No ref in their right mind would allow a fight to continue when one of the fighters has his face split open so bad you can see his teeth with his lips closed.

It doesn't matter if it happened in the opening seconds of the first round or fuss last 10 seconds of the last round. For anyone to not see this clear as day, they must have some sort of degenerative disease of the brain. Seriously....the stupidity of this place has reached dangerous levels.

And yes, the ref can make the call any time he wants on whether or not it's safe for a fighter to continue or if their unable to continue to fight due to the nature of their injury. So you can leave doctors out of this too.

You had to spell it out because it's an irrelevant fact in a thread about opinion.

Take your own advice and reread my original post to begin the thread. "Those of you who defend the stoppage, what do you consider a knockdown, and when should the fight be stopped or left to continue?" The point is not to set up a ruling body and a medical team to pinpoint the exact wave pattern in an EEG that determines a fighter can't continue. The point is to find out why some people are so adamant this was a good stoppage when there's such precedent for allowing a fighter to continue in these situations, particularly given all the factors at play here.
When did I say it was a good stoppage?

Like I said, you missed the point.

When did I say it was a good stoppage?

Like I said, you missed the point.

We're really going to play this "when did I say" game? Fine, I'll bite. When did I say you did? Go ahead and quote the part of my post that accused you of that.

If Rozenstruik would have hit him again you would all be screaming about a late punch.

"popped up" and stumbled 10 feet to the side. he was DONE

doesn't change the fact that it’s not the fighters job to call the fight..and your trolling or just started watching the sport if you think stumbling has anything to do with loss or victory..

doesn't change the fact that it’s not the fighters job to call the fight..and your trolling or just started watching the sport if you think stumbling has anything to do with loss or victory..
Brand new to the sport. Good call. You nailed it.

A knockdown is where a fighter drops but is still conscious. If the fighter is clearly unconscious then it's a KO. It saddens me but Overeem was totally out for a second, so fight is rightfully over.

"popped up" and stumbled 10 feet to the side. he was DONE

I still don't have an answer to this question, so if anyone knows, please answer. Is it possible Overeem thought the round was over and was returning to his corner?

I've got to know, because knockdowns happen literally all the time in fights and the fight goes on. Here's the sequence in question:

CarelessLittleAmphiuma-size_restricted.gif

Yes, Overeem was wobbly getting up. Yes, his lip was badly damaged. Yes, Rosie would have probably finished the fight if he had followed up.

But he didn't.

I'm not in the "if he dies, he dies" camp by any stretch of the imagination, but plenty of fighters have been wobbled by a strike and then clinched or grappled or otherwise gave themselves time to recover. That's a part of fighting, and again, we see it all the time. We saw it on this very card in prior fights.

So, let's put aside all the what-ifs and get down to the basics. Those of you who defend the stoppage, what do you consider a knockdown, and when should the fight be stopped or left to continue?

EDIT: One more question to round things out. You often hear in commentary (especially Rogan's) about a fighter getting "rocked." But the fight goes on. So again, how is that different? For those saying a TKO is legitimate because a fighter is wobbly or not all there, should all fights be stopped as soon as someone is rocked? If not, where do you draw that line?

This was a fucked up mistake by the ref.
Simple as that.

Jairzinho also messed up, as he should NOT have walked off. He is lucky Dan fucked up and got a win he did not deserve.

FUCKING BULLSHIT STOPPAGE .... no other way.
And in this case also an ultimate robbery.
Saying anything else makes you just look stupid

Back