For those who defend the Rozen/Reem call as a TKO, what do you consider a knockdown?

Its different because Miragliotta was rushing over to stop it. He was probably yelling stop, stop. Rozenstruik showed mercy and restraint not to hit him again and damage that mouth further.

When people have to make things up and hypothesize about what "might" have happened or what "probably" happened, that's when you know it's a lousy stoppage. Dan didn't actually wave off the fight until several seconds after the knockdown and nothing was going on, and Rozenstruik had no idea that he lacerated Overeem so badly because he turned away immediately.

I'm not saying it's the case here, but anyone think "walk off" KOs affect a refs decision at times? I've seen Hunt do it alot where it looks like otherwise the fight COULD have gone on a bit longer

Not sure what the issue is minus the op noyshowing a gif where Reem is stumbling in the opposite direction before Dan stopped the fight.

I didn't watch the fight. The third prelim bout sucked the enjoyment out of me (Wiman Vs Solecki sucked balls) so I opted for sleep.
The clips look like a fair stoppage tbh. I honestly believe many have selective opinions on their favourites.
I don't favour either man over the other. They are both awesome fighters. So, I can see it as a good stoppage. Overeem clattered to the cage and Rozenstruick saw Dan racing over so he didn't follow up. He could have mashed Overeems face in with just one or two more direct blows.
Sucks though, since apparently Overeem was winning on the scorecards.

That was a knock down.

At most a tko stoppage because of the lip.

Rozen walked off because he saw the ref rushing in to stop the fight. If the ref hadn't rushed in he'd have clipped him again and God know's what would have happened. I can understand folk who lost money being a little salty but Overeem fans should be grateful their guy missed out on the follow-up clout.

It was definitely an early stoppage. I don’t really understand why people are trying to justify it and I haven’t seen a convincing argument for it in this thread. It was a knockdown, fights shouldn’t get stopped over knockdowns. Speculating that he would have finished Reem is irrelevant, it’s just speculation and no one actually knows what would have happened.

From the Refs point of view he saw Reem suddenly get devestated, shit his pants and stopped it on a knee jerk reaction. Shit happens but it was still a bad call

Rozen walked off because he saw the ref rushing in to stop the fight. If the ref hadn't rushed in he'd have clipped him again and God know's what would have happened. I can understand folk who lost money being a little salty but Overeem fans should be grateful their guy missed out on the follow-up clout.

Rozen walked off way before the ref was near him and didn't see the ref till he was already walking away. Watch the fight. I didn't bet on Overeem and didn't even think he won, I thought the fight shouldn't have been stopped and should have been a draw.

I thought it was stopped to fast until I saw Reem stagger away and saw his lip. After that I thought the ref saved his life!

bMdSTwK.jpg

king hippo wasn't going to catch lightning in a bottle twice

It was definitely an early stoppage. I don’t really understand why people are trying to justify it and I haven’t seen a convincing argument for it in this thread. It was a knockdown, fights shouldn’t get stopped over knockdowns. Speculating that he would have finished Reem is irrelevant, it’s just speculation and no one actually knows what would have happened.

From the Refs point of view he saw Reem suddenly get devestated, shit his pants and stopped it on a knee jerk reaction. Shit happens but it was still a bad call

It was worse than that cause he stopped it after Overeem had gotten back to his feet and his opponent was on the other side of the octagon with his back turned and his hands in the air. At the time of the stoppage Overeem was in zero danger of being hit unless Dan decided to tee off on him.

It was when he started falling around Dan stopped it..

What’s the problem here

So is MMA going to be boxing now where fights get stopped simply because a fighter is rocked?

Overeem wasn't unconscious and wasn't given a chance to defend himself when he popped up.

There is no clear answer. You guys are going to drive yourself nuts debating something where you will never find an exact definition because that imaginary “line” between KD and KO doesn’t exist.

It is referee discretion and they have to make their mind up in a split second; the human body is unpredictable and different people can recover and react differently to similar situations. They are in a loud arena under a decent amount of pressure and scrutiny. They aren’t going to get it perfect every time or get it completely consistent across the boards, I understand how you may want that as a fan, but it isn’t a realistic expectation.

Last edited:
Rozen walked off way before the ref was near him and didn't see the ref till he was already walking away. Watch the fight. I didn't bet on Overeem and didn't even think he won, I thought the fight shouldn't have been stopped and should have been a draw.

He saw the ref as he started to run in, why was he running in like a scalded cat if not to stop the fight.

It is referee discretion and they have to make their mind up in a split second while also considering how to best insert their body between two trained killers. They aren’t going to get it perfect every time or get it completely consistent across the boards, I understand how you may want that as a fan, but it isn’t a realistic expectation.

One thing I've noticed about this stoppage is a lot more people using completely irrelevant fantasy arguments than usual. Dan didn't make up his mind in a split second. He ran in while Overeem was falling and didn't make the call until Overeem was standing and walking away. The part about "best insert their body between two trained killers" is nonsense too. That may be a factor in some fights, but it certainly wasn't in this one, when one guy is on the ground and the other is facing the opposite direction. (The popular argument that you missed, of course, is that "Dan stopped Overeem from taking any more damage" - luckily the guy four posts down has your back on that one.)

He saw the ref as he started to run in, why was he running in like a scalded cat if not to stop the fight.

Watch any fight where a fighter gets knocked down, and you'll see the ref run in. They do it to better evaluate the situation, and the vast majority of the time the fight isn't stopped.

Last edited:
I did not specify who would stop the fight.

You didn't need to, the Ref stopped the fight so the cut wasn't his reason for stopping the fight cause he cannot stop fights due to cuts. That's why it's stupid that people are bringing up cuts when it wasn't a doctor's stoppage.

When a fighter collapses and his legs fall from under him. His eyes roll around and the ref rushes in pushes you away and waves off the fight. Are you new to the sport?
This has happened before lots of times with no stoppage. Get off your MMA high horse. The TS has a valid point. Disagree with him if you want, but don’t try act like there is no argument.

One thing I've noticed about this stoppage is a lot more people using completely irrelevant fantasy arguments than usual. Dan didn't make up his mind in a split second. He ran in while Overeem was falling and didn't make the call until Overeem was standing and walking away. The part about "best insert their body between two trained killers" is nonsense too. That may be a factor in some fights, but it certainly wasn't in this one, when one guy is on the ground and the other is facing the opposite direction.

Watch any fight where a fighter gets knocked down, and you'll see the ref run in. They do it to better evaluate the situation, and the vast majority of the time the fight isn't stopped.
Congrats- you completely missed the point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back