For those Interested in applied Boxing technique.

once they get in a certain range u make them pay..don't let them get comfortable and shoot or clinch..make them pay

Ha ha! The Teddy Atlas catch-phrase about movement in the ring. "Make him pay for real-estate." This is a good approach most of you guys looking to improve your stand-up in the cage should consider. In Boxing, it's a standard never to let your opponent move freely around the ring and decide on what angles he's coming in on you at. If he moves, stick him, if he moves his eyes, stick him, if he looks like he's even THINKING about moving, stick him. No pawing, not tip-tap, throw a definitive punch or combination, he'll get the idea.

That's the thing that too few Strikers do to Grapplers. You cannot LET the Grappler have that mental advantage that they can just do whatever they want, including stand-up with you. You can't hesitate long-enough for them to figure they can just rush you at-will. There are very good short combinations that will discourage them from doing this. But you cannot throw them with fear or doubt. And you have to take in-mind that not a lot of grapplers are going to be willing to take a 1-2-3 right in the face to ATTEMPT a takedown. God hesitation pisses me off.

Yes SRR best of all time, vast majority of fighters themselves agreed including Ali who claimed he styled his dancing moves after him although really the two were very different.

SRR's KO record was deceptive, when he did choose to KO he had one-punch power, he proved his left hook one-punch power many times including against Bobo Olsen and Gene Fullmer.

Yeah, I maintain he has the greatest hook, especially to the body, I've ever laid eyes on. It came from nowhere, he threw it with minimal effort, and if it caught you flush the fight was over.

King Kabuki said:
That's the thing that too few Strikers do to Grapplers. You cannot LET the Grappler have that mental advantage that they can just do whatever they want, including stand-up with you. You can't hesitate long-enough for them to figure they can just rush you at-will. There are very good short combinations that will discourage them from doing this. But you cannot throw them with fear or doubt. And you have to take in-mind that not a lot of grapplers are going to be willing to take a 1-2-3 right in the face to ATTEMPT a takedown. God hesitation pisses me off.

perfect example of this in the most recent fight on TUF 2

Awesome HL. Damn, that left hook was viscious...proves, you don't have to be huge to hit hard. Wow, that's scary power with that front hand, it almost doesn't seem real...

King Kabuki said:
I think he fought at Middleweight if I'm not mistaken.

The thing is Zank, I think he was more technically sound than Roy ever was, just that he did what he could in the ring. Everything they show from Sugar's training is straight out of "how-to's" of Boxing, and he throws jabs in his Shadowboxing and on the training equipment. But in those days you REALLY had to make a stink to be considered someone really special, not like now where every young fighter thinks he's something special...so he'd get in there and kill the dudes. But all of his movement is really sound and he doesn't pull the Roy Jones break-dancing kind of crap in the ring. lol
He was a middleweight but at WW he was even better . MW was a slightly past his best Sugar ray.

triggertap79 said:
perfect example of this in the most recent fight on TUF 2

i was just about to say that. The reason guys like Silva rule MMA is b/c he doesn't fear the takedown, his opponents fear his strikes.

the diff w/robinson and most gifted fighters today is tht he does not get away from fundamentals; regardless of his power/speed/exp/skill/timing/toughness, he does not throw sloppy or half ass shots. More importantly he does not depend on his attributes to make up for his lack of boxing skill, or strategy; nowadays guys like roy jones have a tech knowledge of boxing, but show an inability to or unwillingness to apply them correctly.

robinson who was just as fast..powerful..etc, never did this; he turned his punches over...used a hook.. threw in combination..used def counters/tec( shoulder roll/slip/parrries/blocks/etc); whereas alot of fighters today just pull away..pot shot or just run around the ring and say they are using def when there is no head movement, upperbody movement or actual ability/will to counter at all. Meaning they ar running.

in those days guys were soo experienced and tough tht ability was not enough, because w/ a minimum of 30-40 fights against exp/tough/high caliber guys; most boxers had faced people w/comparable phys or tech skills. An tht is not counting the high level of sparring; back then boxers did not just learn the craft tech, they perfected it w/lots of hard fights and even more hard sparring. Not like today where u have alot of soo soo boxers, who are less fighters/boxers; an more of athletes who happen to box or fight. (i.e. roy jones...jermain taylor...naseem hamed...etc)

an in regards to mma, most strikers are just scared to go to the ground; much like the grapplers who are scared to stand once they get hit. These guys don't spend enough time w/top grappler and don't grapple enough, they tech know what to do; but their lack of mat time and grapplng conditioning make them ineffective in their app of the def or counter tech necessary to def shoots/subs/throws/pins/etc.
It's the same as when u see guys like horn look out of their element when they can't get the takedown; once that is established, their supposedly sharp standup suddenly becomed def and quite basic, because they don't work it hard enough in the ring. As a result when they have to lean on it they get embarassed outclassed and beat up. Example horn v liddel (once we saw he could not take chuck down we knew chuck was gonna take him out) ortiz v liddel (see horn v liddel) couture v liddel (see horn/tito v liddel)
These strikers don't work on their td def or ground def/rev/escapes and as a result are afraid to open up and endup throwing weak range finding strikes, which let their opp a) get comfortable b) establish their own standup (sak did this in most fights cus guys were soo scared of getting takendown and subbed) c) nullify their own off. U have to put the work in so u are comfortable opening up and using ur strikes..u have to have the faith that ucan def the td or that u can def on the ground and get back up and w/most guys u see they don't.
the best mma strikers or most eff are agressive and not scared of possibly taken down, i.e. jens pulver..yves edwards....vanderlei silva...guy mezger...chuck liddel...james irvin (yeah he gets taken down..but he survives long enough to get back up and finish)...cro cop...laverne clark..and so on.
When i spar people say ur using too much boxing..being to open to being taken down, but i have faith in my ability to control the dist w/footwork...my td def...and my ability to def...reverse or control an opp on the ground. Which lets me have the luxury of pot shotting...jabbing..moving..or throwing basic combos..jab right...jab right left...jab right jab...left right left uppercut/cross. I won't let fear of being tapped/takendown allow a non striker to take it to me on the feet, sorry; it won't happen, i have faith in my own training exp...and know i have been tapped/thrown/taken down enough to know how to handle it and not be scared.. most strikers don't..an u see it in their fights..

Not only fixed, but improved upon.

The Great, Sugar Ray Robinson.
Wow, never thought that I would see his highlight.

Although not as great as Sugar Ray R, still one of the greats, Sugar Ray L.
definitely deserves the title "Sugar."

But am I the only one who thinks that Sugar S. M. don't really deserve the
title "Sugar?"

What about "Sugar" Rashad Evans ?

:icon_lol:

Pfft, the king of head-movement from 8 feet away.

wow lol Thanks Sinister I didn't think you would see this thread!

Back