? for those in marine infantry.

Fedor by armbar

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm in the DEP and have to choose my job selections this week. I'm considering putting infantry as my 1st pick but i have a question for you guys? I know it's not going to be consistent every week with trips to the field and other training but on average will you have access to a gym in your free time after boot and infantry school? I appreciate your response.

Well firstly I gotta say this is not really the best place to get info like that. Aren't there Marine corps forums? Not being an ass, just saying you would get 100x the responses there than here.

My girlfriends brother is former 0311, and he just got out in May. Despite being into bodybuilding and shitty training routines, he always talked about going to the gym and stuff like that. So it is dependent on deployment, time in the field, etc. So for maybe 6 weeks you could have gym access almost every day, then you get have another 6 weeks where you either don't have access, or would be so dead tired you wouldn't want to, or it would be too stressful on your body after marching 10 miles in kit, etc.

I wouldn't be picking my career based on availability of a gym though.

The above answer is pretty good, especially the part about not choosing your career based on gym availability. I am a former 0352 (hence the sn) and yeah, except when in the field we had pretty regular access to the gym.

Thanks for the info guys. It's definitely not a huge factor in the decision I make, just something I was curious about.

You will ALWAYS be training, RARELY see a gym. POG's (Person Other than Grunt) never see the field so they get plenty of time to hit the gym and drink their NO Explode. You WILL get used to running and working out before the sun comes up. You WILL become well adept to doing bodyweight exercises and eating shitty MRE's (I would literally fight to get a tuna MRE). The infantry is an "endurance sport" so to speak. Massive hulking muscles do little good. Any more questions send me a PM.

You will ALWAYS be training, RARELY see a gym. POG's (Person Other than Grunt) never see the field so they get plenty of time to hit the gym and drink their NO Explode. You WILL get used to running and working out before the sun comes up. You WILL become well adept to doing bodyweight exercises and eating shitty MRE's (I would literally fight to get a tuna MRE). The infantry is an "endurance sport" so to speak. Massive hulking muscles do little good. Any more questions send me a PM.

Then how did Swede get so big? I don't remember having a tuna mre. AS long as it had rice or past, it was usually a safe pick. I don't know how anyone could eat the burger mre.

heartbreak_ridge.jpg

Then how did Swede get so big? I don't remember having a tuna mre. AS long as it had rice or past, it was usually a safe pick. I don't know how anyone could eat the burger mre.

heartbreak_ridge.jpg

If they ever remake Heartbreak Ridge - Lesnar has to play the Swede!:icon_chee

Don't worry about a gym my friend, you won't need one. The military does not really care how much you can lift. They don't care how much you can Bech, Squat or Deadlift. Fitness and endurance is the name of the game. Prepare to do lots of running. Endurance marches with a heavy pack, lots of distance runs, lots of hill runs, puchups & situps by the hundreds. Lifting ontop pf this would be nuts. It is by no means easy. Try doing an endurance march for 10 miles carrying a 60kg pack. After wards try running up hill to a bunker with it still strapped on.

heartbreak_ridge.jpg

Times have changed my friend. they are slowly but surely attempting to make edible MRE's. They're still far off but are making a good effort.

KILL KILL, though our opinions differ on the strength training aspect and the actual point of this thread, you do sound like you're from my era based on the MRE experiences you've shared

How often are you in the field and for how long on average?

Times have changed my friend. they are slowly but surely attempting to make edible MRE's. They're still far off but are making a good effort.

OMG... I remember eating a new england clam chowder MRE. I would sooner eat the rations heater than that thing again

OMG... I remember eating a new england clam chowder MRE. I would sooner eat the rations heater than that thing again

I have never and will never finish a clam chowder MRE. But then again, I usually rush and eat them cold. There are tricks to every MRE to make them taste good. you just have to mix in the right shit.

How often are you in the field and for how long on average?

depends on a lot of things. But during a work up (the training every unit must do before they deploy) there is a checklist of things they must properly train in. It also depends on the unit and company you are in. Most of the time you will only spend a few days of the week in the field, sometimes the entire week, other times like when you go to Mojave Viper you will spend over a month straight in the field. It's all to prepare for a deployment. in afghanistan you will go months without even taking a shower, let alone have access to a gym. You will get used to lack of sleep, a decent meal, and spending long periods of time in the elements. If you get stationed on the east coast, it will rain every 5 minutes and will be miserable. If you get stationed on the east coast, it will be hilly and hot as hell and you will be miserable. if you get stationed in okinawa or hawaii, it will be a jungle type climate and you will be miserable. Good luck.

You will get to take a shower fairly regularly. Even COP's have crappy ass drip showers. If you are basic Infantry (ARMY or Marines) you will go a week or 2 sometimes without showers or gyms but for the most part it will not go beyond that.

I have never and will never finish a clam chowder MRE. But then again, I usually rush and eat them cold. There are tricks to every MRE to make them taste good. you just have to mix in the right shit.

Or 3 bottles of tobasco. Kills all taste.

Or 3 bottles of tobasco. Kills all taste.

We had some pretty wild mixes. The infamous veggie omelete mix: heat veggie omelete, add crushed crackers, grape jelly (yes grape jelly), and a few drops of tobasco. It is the most edible the veggie omelete will ever get.

they even managed to make the omelette's worse by removing the hash brown's with bacon. The chicken pesto pasta is particularly horrendous. Looks and tastes like green cat food.

its a side dish now

We had some pretty wild mixes. The infamous veggie omelete mix: heat veggie omelete, add crushed crackers, grape jelly (yes grape jelly), and a few drops of tobasco. It is the most edible the veggie omelete will ever get.
I'm definitely trying that, but now its with green tabasco sauce (much better IMO)

I'd say 2/3 of the MREs are 95% edible.

Lifting if done right is of use and is slowly getting more and more implemented. You want gym time 0331s love the gym. Often you'll see whole squads go lift. and preference sheet? F that, you can get a contract that says what your MOS is. Much less of a hassle. 0331 or 0311, 0313, 0317 or 0321 each has their own merit but the only ones I wouldn't have hated myself for doing (in order machine gun, rifleman, sniper, recon) a lot of crossfit style workouts is the ideal for the USMC.

Back