For the most part, Success in MMA is Pure Luck!

GigEm

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Let's face it, these guys on top just edged their way to the top either by getting good matchup or squeezing by victories which could have gone either way. Competitors' overall skillsets are so close these days.

For example, if Gall and Northcutt Fought 100 times, we all can agree each would win 50 times.

Pure fuckin luck this sport is...for the most part.

You could say that about any sport. And then once in a while you get a guy or team that just keeps winning and winning, and you conclude that maybe it wasn't luck in that case.

For example, if Gall and Northcutt Fought 100 times, we all can agree each would win 50 times

Pure fuckin luck this sport is...for the most part.
Anybody who actually watched that fight wouldn't agree.

I agree, in other sports you have 50+ games a year, so if you're really better or worse you'll have big enough sample to prove it, while in MMA where you fight once or twice a year, whether you win or lose couple of 50-50 fights hugely affects your status and legacy.
You might even lose 3 fights in a row where you'd win 7/10 times, and you are basically done. And vice versa.

You could say that about any sport. And then once in a while you get a guy or team that just keeps winning and winning, and you conclude that maybe it wasn't luck in that case.

Except in other sports there is bigger room for comeback. In MMA you get knockedout once it's over

Not pure luck, but I understand what you mean.

When someone like Neil Magny gets totally destroyed by Lorenz Larkin, but was dominating against Lombard and Gastelum prior to that. You can't help but think about this luck thing.

MMA is about timing. Across all facets of the game.

Gall dominated that fight. If they fought 100 times I'd be surprised if Sage won 10 times.

Hard work increases the probability of luck being in your favor.

Ronda Rousey sure wasn't luck! Or any other dominant fighter.

For example, if Gall and Northcutt Fought 100 times, we all can agree each would win 50 times.

Why in the hell would I agree to that? Did you even watch the fight? It wasn't even a hard fight for Gall.

Back