For the lovers of REAL chocolate

Long Dark Blues

Poet — Traveler — Soldier of Fortune
@Silver
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of real dark chocolate. I used to have a friend who was a baker that received bulk shipments of 100% chocolate -- no sugar, vanilla, lecithin, etc. -- that he'd sell me 1-lb. chunks of it for super cheap. But he's no longer in business and doesn't buy in bulk anymore. So it's been awhile since I've had any.

Then I came across Baker's brand unsweetened chocolate (100% cacao) yesterday morning when food shopping:

BAKER?S Chocolate ? Delicious Chocolate Baking Products and Recipes

Calories in Bakers Unsweetened Baking Chocolate Squares - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives | LIVESTRONG.COM

I'm assuming it's a little more processed than what I was getting from my friend, but damn it was delightfully bitter! A little dry, but very good nonetheless.

I paid $2.99 for 8 ounces at Shoprite, which works out to like $0.37/serving.

Anyway, a square of this chocolate and a little natural creamy PB = so much win! It saved me from hooking down loads of sugar from my kids' candy bags.

Just sayin'.

I tried 99% pure chocolate a couple of weeks back since I had chocolate cravings but don't want to eat any sugar.

At first, I didn't find it palatable at all. But it really amazed me that after only 4 or 5 times eating it, suddenly my tastebuds adapted to the bitterness and I actually found it quite tasty.

Nuts + Chocolate is one of my favourite flavour pairings. I was eating mine with almonds.

It's all about the:

img_0485.jpg

+1

I get a bar or 2 of the Lindt every week ... sometimes I roll with the 85% though

I also like the 100% cocoa powders, especially the herseys special dark powder. I usually just get my chocolate in the baking aisle at walmart. They usually have 2-3 brands of the 100% bars and powders.

I don't mind the taste of it so much when I'm having it with a cup of black coffee.

Wholefoods carries this line of bars that donates proceeds to preserving endangered species, they have an 88% extra dark bar that I like.

I don't mind the taste of it so much when I'm having it with a cup of black coffee.

Same. I either put it in my coffee (sometimes with almond milk, just to change it up) if I'm having eggs that morning. Or, I put it in my steel cut oats with some coconut and/or crushed nuts.

Great way to start the day, imo.

Same. I either put it in my coffee (sometimes with almond milk, just to change it up) if I'm having eggs that morning. Or, I put it in my steel cut oats with some coconut and/or crushed nuts.

Great way to start the day, imo.

For me, I like the taste of dark chocolate, it's the aftertaste that bothers me. Black coffee seems to negate any of the nasty aftertaste. It's also pretty rich in flavour so I don't need to eat as much of it as opposed to sitting on the couch slamming back 10 pounds of milk chocolate which I could easily do.

As a prank I once gave my sister a square of baker's chocolate, she quickly made the "gross, gimme something to wash this down with" face so I handed her a glass of what she thought was Sprite, but was actually Alka Seltzer.

Vomit on the kitchen floor.

Try it with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon or Pinot Noir.

You'll thank me later.

My parents live half of the year in panama and they bring me 100% dark chocolate(no sugar) streight from the cocoa farms there. Best shit i have ever tried .

I enjoyed some with a little extra sharp cheddar today.

My 10-year-old son tried a little piece of the 100% goodness today, his take: "Tastes like medicine."

Back