Opinion For the lefties out there, what issue would you sacrifice?

Trump got a higher share of the black vote than any republican in over 60 years by quite a bit, so that is clearly not true. The only demographic group with whom he got a lower share than 2016 is white males, so white males would be the ones responsible.
There's a lot of conflicting data coming out on that. But bottom line is that about 90% of blacks still voted for the Democratic candidate, which has been consistent for decades and is a big benefit for Democrats in every election. And it seems that a higher percentage of them turned out this election and they made up a larger percentage of the vote that in 2016. So the black vote might have actually hurt Trump more than in 2016, even if technically he got a higher percentage. The black vote in places like Detroit, Philadelphia, Milwaukee and Atlanta helped swing their respective states from Trump to a Democrat. And the Latino vote in Phoenix did the same in Arizona, along with the transplants voting in the state.

I though Pelosi tried. Full wall funding in exchange for the dreamers getting citizenship but Trump walked.

I'm sure you are right. Trump being a good "deal maker" was just another one of his cons.

I just meant in general that opposition to it was something the left could have eased up on.

Whatever it takes to get control of the senate in 2022

Basically the whole progressive agenda: BLM, defunding police, immigration reform... in the short term of course.

Next two years should be about beating Covid and getting America open again. Get a majority in the senate... then get DC and Puerto Rico into the union. Hello second term!

It won't be murdering unborn kids so they can spread HIV that they sacrifice.

Nothing's ever gonna happen to the second amendment... ever! It doesn't matter who is President. You'll always have your guns.

I really wish folks would stop screaming that the sky is falling or someone's coming for your guns every 4 fuckin years! You guys sound like flat-Earthers at this point, I swear.

Liberals would be smart to give up abortion. There will be some initial backlash, but after a while pro choice people will get over it and they would stop losing pro life votes. It's just such an easy thing to demonize liberals over.

Can't sacrifice something that is mostly a figment of the right's imagination.
Hahahaha what? I guess there was a whole bunch if Bigfoots thst wrecked a Starbucks and put gas in there and we're about to light it, with 300 residents in the same building?

With how divided our country is, it's pretty clear that the left won't get everything we want, practically speaking if you have to abandon any single issue to peel off more voters to gain the edge, what would you sacrifice?

Personally, I think we need to ditch gun control as an issue. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. Focus on healthcare and financially shoring up the poor/middle class, and reforming the justice system and policing. The 2nd amendment is there to stay, all we're doing with anti-gun rants is pissing a lot of people off, there is no viable path to materially change this.
The left is already sacrificing "black lives" by allowing upticks in violent crimes in major cities run by Democrats. That "Black Lives Matter" thing was just gimmick before the election. Now, it can go to the wayside.

The perspective might seem different to a person dying of dehydration on the opposite side of the wall as well as the children that might be with them.

Its a cruel concept and unnecessary, immigration from the southern border has decreased since 2008 and the wall itself has become a dog-whistle for anti-Mexican rhetoric. Mexicans dont sit in board rooms deciding how much an american worker gets paid. Automation, declining union membership and outsourcing have done 50 times the damage to the American wage than Mexicans immigration ever has.

I'm a lefty that believes in the 2nd Amendment, however, so id probably choose gun control as the give-away concession.

Medicare for all, green new deal (done intelligently, more nuclear than 'biofuel'), student loan forgiveness, free public tuition, marijuana legalization and reinvesting overblown police budgets into social programs would be off the table/non-negotiable.
yeah i'm with you on legalizing marijuana, which thankfully looks like it's being done in several more states. i want medicare for all as well, just needs to be done somewhat gradually (not within a year) since a) it'd be a huge change of course, and b) tens of thousands of people employed by hospitals and insurance companies would have to find new jobs

With how divided our country is, it's pretty clear that the left won't get everything we want, practically speaking if you have to abandon any single issue to peel off more voters to gain the edge, what would you sacrifice?

Personally, I think we need to ditch gun control as an issue. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. Focus on healthcare and financially shoring up the poor/middle class, and reforming the justice system and policing. The 2nd amendment is there to stay, all we're doing with anti-gun rants is pissing a lot of people off, there is no viable path to materially change this.

Agree. Controlling costs and expanding access to health care and higher education are both issues more beneficial to a larger portion of society than gun control. I would add environmental protections as more important, also.

I believe in some made up picture? I live in California, have a son, and have seen these gender forms in place already letting kids select either one or a third option for “other”.

Its people like you who brush these things off, or let them fall into place unobstructed because its not a major issue to them is whats fucked. Or Dems trying to pass props to lessen charges on sexual offenders, like the current one I voted NO against.

Health care and education costs are spiraling out of control, the wealth gap is exponentially expanding, social media is causing a huge divide in the populace with their algorithms that essentially create an echo chamber by only pushing one set of views based on your interests, there's dwindling trust in American institutions like the government and news media....and you're worried about what gender people identify as.

Don't sacrifice anything. Refocus and reframe certain issues like gun control. Focus on: national registry, mandatory background checks. You're not infringing on anyone's rights at all

If I was Biden I'd carry on with Drumpf's flagship policy, and ask Mexico to pay for a wall.

Guns

Just fucking leave it alone. It’s a lost cause anyway and you’re gonna need them when roving gangs of chuds start ethnic cleansing in a decade or two.

I've often said if the Dems would drop the gun control issue in a way that most people would find believable, they would be much more competitive in more Midwestern and Southern States

Don't sacrifice anything. Refocus and reframe certain issues like gun control. Focus on: national registry, mandatory background checks. You're not infringing on anyone's rights at all
You want a registry you still won't get center of the pack gun owners. Registry is an easy way to then find everyone to go confiscate from someday so majority of gun owners are gone if you suggest that.

And to purchase a gun even at gun shows you get background checked. The only place you might not is in some states the private market. But don't do what Washington did where they didn't define what a transfer was so people were freaking out that if they let a friend try a gun at the range then that'd be consider a transfer.

Also, if you want private sales to have FFL checks on their background the State needs to set the background check rate. Too many shops use that as a means to gouge people.

Guns and home-schooling vouchers.

In return I'd want to see a fully-fledged transition from Oil/Coal to renewable energy options. And a removal of private prisons.

You want a registry you still won't get center of the pack gun owners. Registry is an easy way to then find everyone to go confiscate from someday so majority of gun owners are gone if you suggest that.

And to purchase a gun even at gun shows you get background checked. The only place you might not is in some states the private market. But don't do what Washington did where they didn't define what a transfer was so people were freaking out that if they let a friend try a gun at the range then that'd be consider a transfer.

Also, if you want private sales to have FFL checks on their background the State needs to set the background check rate. Too many shops use that as a means to gouge people.
How is a national registry different from a state registry of guns?

If the government wanted to take your guns, they could easily access state registries and do so.

Back