Opinion For the Americans who supposedly wants to change U.S Electoral laws...

I just can't see it ever clearing the Senate. The current system gives a disproportionate say to small states and their Senators won't give that power up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_abolition_amendment

I concur that smaller states are the biggest opposition to the EC abolition movement, even though there are no shortage of posters trying hard to turn this electoral issue into a partisan issue.

No it doesnt, because how the current system of "winner takes all works" if a State is 51% republican and 49% democrat, logic dictates that electoral votes should be distributed accordingly, except that under winner takes all 51% of a State population decides for the entire State.

EC isnt the problem, the problem is when EC votes arent distributed proportionally.

This is also true. With the winner take all format, the notion that "every vote counts" actually only applies in the swing states that could go any direction.

If there's any voters being marginalized here, it's the tens of millions of people living in solid-colored states who understood very well that their votes don't really counts with Winner Takes All.

On a related matter, I hope Ranked Choice ballot will pick up steam at the state level:

A new voting system could fix American democracy: Ranked-choice ballots
If you think the biggest political challenge we face is partisan polarization, ranked-choice voting is proven to foster compromise, civility and moderation.
By Lee Drutman | Nov. 7, 2019

191107-ONE-TIME-USE-new-york-vote-election-cs-1206p_27ce497111b6f83b962b95d05e148f69.fit-2000w.jpg

Overnight, the number of Americans using ranked-choice voting to elect officials roughly doubled. That’s because voters in New York City (population 8.6 million) overwhelmingly approved a ballot measure on Tuesday adopting the new voting system for some elections in the Big Apple.

New York now joins more than 15 U.S. cities and one state (Maine) in using the voting method, which is a significant improvement over the traditional process of whichever-candidate-gets-the-most-votes-wins. This reform is increasingly taking hold because the case for ranked-choice voting is simple and profound: It gives voters more options, allows them to express their preferences better, and makes politics more civil and cooperative.

Is it so profound that it can fix American democracy? Maybe. If you believe the biggest problem in American democracy is partisan polarization (as I do), ranked-choice voting is proven to counteract some of the “I win by making you lose” zero-sum logic of our current election style, incentivizing compromise, civility and moderation, and leading to more diverse candidates.

Especially when paired with multimember districts (larger congressional districts that have more than one representative instead of our current one-district, one-representative setup), ranked-choice voting could have a transformative power in reshaping our party system into something more sustainable and less destructive.

Under traditional “simple plurality” rules, candidates often win without getting a true majority, especially in a crowded field — a problem since it can allow organized minorities to rule over disorganized majorities. This often happens when independent and third-party candidates take votes away from major-party candidates, playing the role of spoiler. But under ranked-choice voting, there are no spoilers. Voters can select their favorite candidate without having to make the internal calculation of whether that’s going to help their least favorite candidate get elected.

That’s because after selecting their favorite candidate, voters go on to rank the rest of the candidates in order of preference. If one candidate gets a majority of the first-place votes, he or she wins, as in the traditional system. But if not, as is often the case when there are more than two competitors, the candidate who comes in last is eliminated. Those who voted for that person then have their votes counted for their second-choice candidate. This retallying continues until there’s an outright majority for one competitor.

This encourages more candidates to run, expanding the field of voices, because minor party candidates are no longer dismissed as spoilers. It also changes the incentives of campaigning. In a whoever-gets-the-most-votes-wins election, it makes strategic sense to appeal to a limited but passionate base, so they turn out in large numbers, and go negative against your strongest opponents, so others shun them. But in a ranked-choice voting election, the strategic calculus changes. Since second and third (and sometimes even fourth and fifth) preferences matter, candidates have an incentive to appeal to one another’s supporters, and to build bridges instead of trying to tear one another down.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...n-democracy-ranked-choice-ballots-ncna1078491

Last edited:
No it doesnt, because how the current system of "winner takes all works" if a State is 51% republican and 49% democrat, logic dictates that electoral votes should be distributed accordingly, except that under winner takes all 51% of a State population decides for the entire State.

EC isnt the problem, the problem is when EC votes arent distributed proportionally.

I think I found the culprit.

https://history.house.gov/Historical-Highlights/1901-1950/The-Permanent-Apportionment-Act-of-1929/

Fixing this might be easier

so instead of getting hard to work, you’d rather pout.

fits the leftist description to a T.

call the constitutional convention already. You know, work. Not subvert.

Yay for the gimmick!!!

That's a weird OP. Isn't this the process by which a Constitutional Amendment occurs? You start by building up a public message and gradually getting that in front of the legislatures.

How in the world can anyone guarantee that something gets done before the next election when this is a process that usually takes years.

Newsflash: this "building of a public message" have been going on since the 1960s, and multiple legislation proposals have been presented to the legislature since then.

Here's the strange part: all these proposals to abolish the EC were met with a resounding "meh" from the general public and quickly forgotten, including those who screamed for those changes after each election.

Newsflash: this "building of a public message" have been going on since the 1960s, and multiple legislation proposals have been presented to the legislature since then.

Here's the strange part: all these proposals to abolish the EC were met with a resounding "meh" from the general public and quickly forgotten, including those who screamed for those changes after each election.
That's not a newsflash...your thread wasn't about the movements of the 1960s. Your thread was about recent iterations. But even then...your OP actually makes less sense. If you're talking about movements from the 1960s then why would this election be more important than the last one or the 10 elections prior to that?

And your OP wasn't about the general public's opinion, it was explicitly directed at the people who support such a thing. All in all, it's a weird OP.

This doesn't look like a meh response to me.

On April 29, 1969, the House Judiciary Committee voted 28 to 6 to approve the proposal.[4] Debate on the proposal before the full House of Representatives ended on September 11, 1969[5] and was eventually passed with bipartisan support on September 18, 1969, by a vote of 339 to 70.[6]

On September 30, 1969, President Richard Nixon gave his endorsement for adoption of the proposal, encouraging the Senate to pass its version of the proposal, which had been sponsored as Senate Joint Resolution 1 by Senator Birch Bayh (D–Indiana).[7]

On October 8, 1969, the New York Times reported that 30 state legislatures were "either certain or likely to approve a constitutional amendment embodying the direct election plan if it passes its final Congressional test in the Senate." Ratification of 38 state legislatures would have been needed for adoption. The paper also reported that six other states had yet to state a preference, six were leaning toward opposition and eight were solidly opposed.[8]

This doesn't look like a meh response to me.

I specifically said "by the general public", who now don't even care enough to notice these recent proposals exists, much less whenever they dies in committee.

That's not a newsflash...your thread wasn't about the movements of the 1960s. Your thread was about recent iterations. But even then...your OP actually makes less sense. If you're talking about movements from the 1960s then why would this election be more important than the last one or the 10 elections prior to that?

And your OP wasn't about the general public's opinion, it was explicitly directed at the people who support such a thing. All in all, it's a weird OP.

It's weird because you don't understand it, though others clearly do.

My point is simply this: if you REALLY wanted to change electoral rules, be proactive and focus your energies on the legislation on electoral rules currently ARE on the table BEFORE the game start, not simply lamenting about them (or for some people, discover about them for the first time) for a few short weeks AFTER the game is already over, and then completely forget all about it for the next 4 years. That's a guaranteed way for it to go absolutely nowhere beyond the whining phase.

Do you agree with that or no?

Last edited:
...particularly with the elimination of the Electoral College as well as mandating additional requirements for Presidential candidates (like tax returns or bill of health), why aren't you campaigning hard right now for an actual Constitutional Amendment to include these new rules that would apply to everyone in future U.S elections?

There's a whole year left on the calendar before the next game day. Once the match begins with the same set of rules that ALL participants agrees to, please don't whine about said rules only AFTER you lost the game.

Noteworthy posts:

Though doing away with the electoral college would be a paradigm shift, I don't think these changes would be as meaningful as changing the election finance laws and taking corporate and private money out of the process.

Elizabeth Warren Promises To Get Rid Of The Electoral College After She Wins In 2020

Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren declared Sunday that she plans on being the last president elected by the Electoral College.

In a tweeted video, the Massachusetts senator told an Iowa crowd that she wants to “get rid of” the Electoral College and replace it with a national popular vote.

“My goal is to get elected, but I plan to be the last American president to be elected by the Electoral College,” Ms. Warren said. “I want my second term to be elected by direct vote.”

“I just think this is how a democracy should work,” she said. “Call me old-fashioned, but I think the person who gets the most votes should win.”

Ms. Warren has previously called for abolishing the Electoral College, which would require a constitutional amendment. The “Get Rid of the Electoral College” section of her campaign website provides little in the way of details on how she plans to move forward with such a proposal if elected.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/dec/3/elizabeth-warren-i-plan-to-be-the-last-american-pr/

Because it requires actual work and it's too hard. Much easier to cry about it and hope someone else does it. Then we can cry about what a poor job they did or laugh at their naiveness when they fail.

Back