Media For my UK folks: Is the Scouser accent the UK's verison of American Southern accent?

@corrupted I had Lenny in my head too!

Really? Please tell, very interested, my first ever post to youtube was one of Lenny's fights.
My father knew him, I once was at a bar/club snooker hall/shady blokes hangout with my dad and he was there.

he was terrifying for me, I was about 12. Biggest hands ever. And an intimidating presence

It's different. UK is weird. You can live a few miles from another person in another town and have a totally different accent.

Funny you mention Wales, typing my post my brain went off thinking about my favourite accent on a woman and it’s definitely Welsh.

I’ve travelled all over Wales, love the place. And true, lots of diversity in those accents too. Scotland too obviously, Glaswegians is a much harsher accent than say Arbroath.
Belfast accent on girls is the cutest imo.

I've been told I have a Potteries accent (think Robbie Williams), but I find it hard to understand people from some of the 6 towns in the city.

My father knew him, I once was at a bar/club snooker hall/shady blokes hangout with my dad and he was there.

he was terrifying for me, I was about 12. Biggest hands ever. And an intimidating presence
"an intimidating presence", just a bit! Cool, thanks for sharing. I watched something on Youtube last night, Norman Buckland (who seems like a nice bloke but a bit cheesy) was telling some story about some guys called Lenny in to scare him off and it worked, he just stood there and looked scary. His autobiography is well worth a read, a proper hard man he was. Don't make em like that anymore.

Belfast accent on girls is the cutest imo.

I've been told I have a Potteries accent (think Robbie Williams), but I find it hard to understand people from some of the 6 towns in the city.
I'll take that one too, good call. And there is a possibility they may be a bit ginge, I love me a ginger woman.

Ah the potteries duck, not a million miles away, and yeah they probably do sound different in all 6!

I'm biased, but I sound like a white trash hillbilly redneck, and that scouser accent is one of the most offensive, torturous sounds to my ears ever. Conor's accent is a close second.

I watch Swamp People & Moonshiners and Im into the Creole/ Cajun NOLA Twang. Thats why I enjoyed the press conference last night, a lot of DIVERSE accents!

Not even sure why they put sub titles on Swamp People. Most of us can't even read.

It's different. UK is weird. You can live a few miles from another person in another town and have a totally different accent.

Every 25 min you drive down the river the accents change. Each Parish has a different amount of water in their words.

UK has way more regional accents than America, I really don't see any comparison between the Southern accent of the USA and the Scouser accent. Perhaps it is also considered a 'working class' or 'lower class' accent by some, but there are other accents in England also with this association, like the Brummie accent (from Birmingham) or the Cockney accent (from London/East London).

plp7BIQ.gif

Yes, like Boston there is a big Irish influence in Liverpool, but also very similar (I think) to North Wales. Obviously this makes sense geographically. If you listen to Welsh speakers in a conversation it sounds very much like two scousers, just impossible to understand. Also a lot of scousers over emphasise it and try to hard to be dead, dead scouse. Scouse not English, etc. Its fucking embarrassing.

Yea it’s really the “try hard” that puts it over the top.

People who exaggerate their accent are the worst. I call that “fake scouse”

But how else do you signal to the world that you are the greatest, and the most fun, and the most noble, and the most salt of the earth, and also the most persecuted but it hasn’t made you lose your sense of humor or fighting spirit? I mean, you can’t just SAY all that, it would be crass.

UK has way more regional accents than America, I really don't see any comparison between the Southern accent of the USA and the Scouser accent. Perhaps it is also considered a 'working class' or 'lower class' accent by some, but there are other accents in England also with this association, like the Brummie accent (from Birmingham) or the Cockney accent (from London/East London).
There's a lot of regional accents in USA. You have west coast, east coast, southern, and more specific accents like southern and northern CA, Texas accent, NY accent, Boston accent, Philly accent, LA accent, LB accent, OC/HB accent, etc. It's very easy to see where people are from or where they grew up by their accents/slangs or lack of it in USA.

Reminds me of brittish gangster movies, sometimes i have a hard time understanding him or Till but im still cool with them, is Bisping's too americanized this days? not saying he used to have a scouser accent, i would LOVE to have that kind of English accent, not being my native language.

Scouse is the UK's version of nails on a blackboard.

fuck<45>have to say it's really tough for me to understand sometimes, almost no problems with other brits - nice city, nice people though Pool(sorry mate :p) but that accent... I'd rather listen to my scottish mates all day long.

Geordies? Just noise.

@Arqueto :eek: and :D at the thread when we just had a chat about it

As a Scouser currently living in the United States I feel when I talk to people they look at me like I'm some kind of Irish/Australian alcoholic sounding creature. I have always preferred to say "Sir" when speaking to another man, especially somebody older than me. "Lad, lad, lad" sounds jarg as fuck. Properly try hard, wool behaviour.

It's OSHEA Mum joke Rapper, I'll grab your cancer riddled Nan and blow blunt smoke at her.

Back