Media For my UK folks: Is the Scouser accent the UK's verison of American Southern accent?

Black Leprechaun

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Just curious

Edit: what I meant about this is being "annoying" & "intolerable" to some or most.
To me I dont find it annoying at all, my favorite UK accents are Northen Ireland ( not sure of the proper term ), Geordie, & Scouse.
I watch Swamp People & Moonshiners and Im into the Creole/ Cajun NOLA Twang. Thats why I enjoyed the press conference last night, a lot of DIVERSE accents!

Last edited:
There’s not even just one deep south accent. I’ve been to all those States. And they’re not all the same. Two particular experiences I’ll never forget. A big black lady in Georgia. And an adult father and son in Tennessee. I literally had no idea what they were saying. Could have been Martian for all I knew.

As a non native English speaker Scouse is my second favorite accent in the English language after Scottish accent.

Don't ever lose your accents UK

There’s not even just one deep south accent. I’ve been to all those States. And they’re not all the same. Two particular experiences I’ll never forget. A big black lady in Georgia. And an adult father and son in Tennessee. I literally had no idea what they were saying. Could have been Martian for all I knew.
Man I was in the airport in Atlanta and yeah can confirm they're not speaking English Hahaha

I think there's a connection to Ireland in the accents. There were many Irish people settle in Liverpool way back in the day. It's a hybrid accent of sorts. That's why Liverpool and Ireland have a connection because they are just across the sea from each other. Probably the same way as the irish have influenced the American accent in parts of USA.

Accents are weird things. In Britain there's so many accents across this small island. Liverpool, Manchester, Yorkshire, Scottish, Welsh, Geordie (like True Geordie the youtuber) and many others. Pirates back in the day would generally have an accent that was a west country accent from the south west part of England.

It's really difficult for anyone from North America to understand, if they haven't been to the UK, but you can drive for 3 hours across England and hear 4-5 different really weird accents, based upon different regions. Then you drive an hour further into Wales, and you've got another. Or drive a couple hours north into Scotland....

It's really difficult for anyone from North America to understand, if they haven't been to the UK, but you can drive for 3 hours across England and hear 4-5 different really weird accents, based upon different regions. Then you drive an hour further into Wales, and you've got another. Or drive a couple hours north into Scotland....
There are even different versions of Manc. I can drive for about 10 minutes and the accent is slightly different, another 10 and so on. And pity the poor people between Liverpool and Manchester, they're like a red headed step child, don't belong anywhere and nobody wants to listen to them.

A Manc critcising the scouse accent!

Yes, like Boston there is a big Irish influence in Liverpool, but also very similar (I think) to North Wales. Obviously this makes sense geographically. If you listen to Welsh speakers in a conversation it sounds very much like two scousers, just impossible to understand. Also a lot of scousers over emphasise it and try to hard to be dead, dead scouse. Scouse not English, etc. Its fucking embarrassing.

Back