1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

For amature heavyweight Thai fighters and kickboxers

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by kboxer, Sep 28, 2010.

1. kboxer

kboxer White Belt

Hey guys. Looking to get some insight on the heavyweight division and your experiences. What kind of things you see in the competition. Curious how the cardio of the hw you have faced is.

2. vjvj

vjvj Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious

Worst thing about being a HW is that there aren't that many fighters. And I'm saying that as a Californian, and we have a pretty healthy MT scene here.

Cardio is definitely worse on average, I suffer from this too and I'm working on improving that (both in training harder and being more economical in my fights). But when you're big, you're big... Just a fact of life. It's gonna take a lot more work to hit the same mile times that those 155ers get.

I'd also say that pure technique is lower on average, as well, probably because a lot of us end up falling in love with our power and rely on that too much.

3. kboxer

kboxer White Belt

Thanks for the insight. Going to be doing my first one shortly. I have been focusing on cardio. Using hr monitor etc. Hitting the sprints too. So hoping to perform well. Feeling good sparring. Sparring with lighter guys and pushing the pace for the cardio. I'm in PA so the scene in shallow here. Even mma which I plan to do eventually to. Hw are tough to come by

4. DaGenius

DaGenius Silver Belt

One of the guys in my gym is a good sized but not heavyweight dude (225) that fought a full heavyweight (250+) and he beat him on cardio. The first round was kinda even but the bigger dude simply didnt have anything left in 2-3.

Train your cardio hard and you will do fine in the HW division

5. KAYNE

KAYNE Blue Belt

I agree. I havent fought since I had been in the east bay 18 months ago I have
    been lined up to fight 4 times and have been backed out on every time it is very frustrating. But they say its hard to get heavy weights into shape and its true to an extent. If your in good shape thats probably 3/4 the battle.

6. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

Here in Queensland, Australia there's a decent HW/SHW scene. A lot of big islanders that take it up end up staying around that mark, and then you get the Roy Nelsons with guts the size of small planets coming in every now and then. It's definitely not the deepest division though from what I've seen. Cardio wise you have two types, the real genetic freaks - big and strong, good cardio and the fat blobs that could probably make MW if they got in shape.

7. mjw1

mjw1 Blue Belt

Cardio and a lack of fighters so you may want to watch you don't get stuck with a ringer that has a bunch of fights since thats the only fighter they may have/ been able to find for you......

8. kboxer

kboxer White Belt

I've been training off and on for years. But at 260 I have great agility and flexibility. I trained my ass off years ago before getting big and into lifting. So technique is good. But I'm now 32 and time is ticking. Here in pa they classify your fights by 1-3, 4-7, 7-10 and ten plus. The only fights I had were unsanctioned fights in my gym years ago.

I feel the best I ever have right now. I picked up Joel jamiesons book on training. But a true training camp hasn't started yet until I get a date but we train year round.

If some of you hw guys that fight wouldn't mind sharing a breakdown of your program. Would like to see to gauge against my program. I do well with 2 min rounds and I'm currently on a big cut from 280. So as the weight comes down I'm feeling better. Right now getting 2 days of sparring usually and 2 days of conditioning and 2 days of weights. Not really doing much bag work which I need to add in.

Appreciate it guys

9. kboxer

kboxer White Belt

I've been training off and on for years. But at 260 I have great agility and flexibility. I trained my ass off years ago before getting big and into lifting. So technique is good. But I'm now 32 and time is ticking. Here in pa they classify your fights by 1-3, 4-7, 7-10 and ten plus. The only fights I had were unsanctioned fights in my gym years ago.

I feel the best I ever have right now. I picked up Joel jamiesons book on training. But a true training camp hasn't started yet until I get a date but we train year round.

If some of you hw guys that fight wouldn't mind sharing a breakdown of your program. Would like to see to gauge against my program. I do well with 2 min rounds and I'm currently on a big cut from 280. So as the weight comes down I'm feeling better. Right now getting 2 days of sparring usually and 2 days of conditioning and 2 days of weights. Not really doing much bag work which I need to add in.

Appreciate it guys

10. kboxer

kboxer White Belt

One of my guys I train with had a bunch of fights. Like 19 and tells me the same thing. Most hw gas quick and look to take your head off fast. And in the amature division he said most were jut beer gut brawled types. I want to be prepared for the guy that is ready. I def lack more in cardio than power.