Footwork Drills

Tr0gdor

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone have any good suggestions on Footwork Drills/Routines. I seriously have two left feet and this is a big problem in my technique.

The trainer at the gym gave me some tips with circling while punching, slipping, rolling, etc. Just seeing what else is out there.

From my rugby days I'd advise foot ladders and the like just for getting some co-ordination and explosiveness in your feet/legs.

Try not to think about it, makes it harder lol

The agility ladder is great. But I think the best way to do it is constant shadowboxing. You probably heard that answer a few times already.

take up waltzing the footwork is the same principle as for boxing. yes I am a great dancer now. god bless my coach

Remember front foot first for moving forward, and to circle left if your Right handed, Back foot backward, and for circling to the Right if your right handed. Try moving around a room keeping this in mind; i.e. move forward across the whole room, then backward across the whole room. do it a few times, it should help. Also be patient, footwork is hard for some people, but it pays off to learn correctly.

Hey there

If you can work with a partner, check out this boxing footwork drill. It allows you to understand and get that 'feel for range' that is so important, but it allows this without the constant threat of getting whacked in the head!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Cheers

Fran

Hey there

If you can work with a partner, check out this boxing footwork drill. It allows you to understand and get that 'feel for range' that is so important, but it allows this without the constant threat of getting whacked in the head!

Cheers

Fran
I really like your site Fran. Some good stuff on there.

Foot ladders, skipping rope, shaddow boxing without throwing hands just focus on your feet and then do it with your hands etc. circle the heavy bag and work angles, push the bag and when it comes toward you side step/ circle etc.

take up waltzing the footwork is the same principle as for boxing. yes I am a great dancer now. god bless my coach

Nice to not be the only one telling people to take up ballroom to fix foot work.

Find a big tire about as wide as your stance. Stand on it with one foot on each side. Hop from orthodox to southpaw to squared stances and so on. this helps you commit your stance and foot placement to muscle memory. Shadow boxing while doing this wouldn't hurt. Find some resistance bands, latch them to a wall loop, put each end on your feet, and start doing frog leaps forward and back without touching the floor with your hands. Be careful, it's easy to fall doing this. Various forms of dance also assist with footwork.

Hey there

Cheers

Fran

This is good stuff, I have my kids work this drill from time to time.

My two favorite footwork drills are the box step and the dance drill.

Box Step: Get in fighting stance. Step forward as you would in a fight, using proper footwork and preserving your stance. Now step right. Now back. Now left. Congrats, you just made a "box" pattern on the floor. When that feels good, start mixing it up and randomizing the pattern. When THAT starts to feel good, work it into your shadow boxing. Ta-da, you are now shadow boxing with proper footwork. Keep it up, and you'll be doing it in sparring and your fights :)

Dance Drill: Get a partner. Designate one of you as the leader, and the other one as the follower. Both of you get in fighting stance, facing each other. The leader's job is to move around, kinda like shadow boxing without actually punching. The follower's job is to maintain a precise distance between himself and his partner. It can be any distance you want, for example you could try to maintain jabbing range. Both people must use proper footwork for all movements. The point is to get used to using your footwork to establish and control range.

I still work both of the above drills all the time. Footwork is like the jab; you can't over-train it.

Good luck and hope this helps!

+1 - Any kind of dancing helps with boxing. I'm a hip hop dancer and my footwork/boxing comes easy.

Maybe this explains why the majority of white people in MMA are terrible at boxing and look stiff. lol

This is kinda like the dance drill VJ mentioned, but helps with distance as well. I have all first-timers in my gyms do it.

This is kinda like the dance drill VJ mentioned, but helps with distance as well. I have all first-timers in my gyms do it.

Yep, this is the exact drill I was referring to. Only difference is that we don't put the hand out. But I can see how having the hand out would be great for people getting their bearings on the distance game; it really helps to clarify what is happening. Nice vid.

Ya, I usually only have them do it with the arm out for the first couple of rounds.

I've built up a whole first-day curriculum based around that drill. After they have the hang of it, they learn the jab, and then combine it with that drill. Then the cross. Then both etc.
There's actually a ton of great drills that can be added or combined with this.

Back