1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Football/MMA lifting Question

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Jok3r, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Jok3r

Jok3r White Belt

I made a decision to put aside college football and fully concentrate on mma. My workout routine for football has been suited to increase strength, speed, and explosion. I ask you guys if this; will my routine translate to mma? I've read and seen many different routines, such as Rich Franklins which is geared towards conditioning. So should I stick to my current one or will that not benefit me? Thanks for the help, thanks!

2. big_john127

big_john127 Profess¬°onal Lurker

We have no idea what your program is, you might want to actually tell us.

Pick one of the routines in the FAQ, it will meet all of your goals.

3. Perfect Moo

Perfect Moo Blue Belt

Exactly.

4. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

If your current program is making you stronger, faster and more explosive I don't see how that wouldn't translate to MMA. That said, you should probably post your routine to get some feedback anyway.

5. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

i have a question for you?

What college did you attend for football? Division 1 2 or 3??

Also what made you switch?

Did you always want to go to college for football or did you always have a true MMA love?

Im asking you these questions because i love football and my dad has paid a large amount of money for me to be recruited and i love both football, and MMA, but ive never tried MMA, and i dont plan to until college where i can go by myself and not worry about my parents taking me. I wrestle though and i love it.

HERES THE PROBLEM:

Pros about football: Under the lights are awesome. I have been playing since i was i think 8 years old. have more experience with this. love playing as a team.
    Cons: Im to small to make pro.

MMA
    Pros: Im small, but i have a better chance making it to the UFC. I am 100% determined and never give up. I am very disiplined and love fighting. no matter what i do, i can become great at it because of my attituide and determination. im p4p brute strong

Cons: I do this and give up football. That would suk but i love them both.

I love playing as a team in football but i also love single training because some ppl on my football team do not train good and drink all summer. I hate that because they dont only ruin themselves, but our (my) season. So personally training and improving is awesome.

Cons: I do this and give up football. That would suk but i love them both.

football: 50%
    MMA: 50%

WOW am i undecided.

I dont know what to do. So could you ask those questions above to help me out??

I might just go to college and if i dont make the stratiung football team than why play, you know?

or go through football season than train MMa for the rest of the year

O and to answer your question, most football programs are good for MMA (well they helped me out in wrestling. But the biggest problem dude is that if you are lifting to get big, it will not help you. you cant grow so much to dominate fighting. sure strong is strong but it will not help you tremendously to be TOO big. But most football programs are designed to help with explosive power/pure brute strength, so i would suggest it.

The other problem is conditioing,. You need FAR more conditioning in order to compete in wrestling/MMA thasn football. trust me. So i would say conditioning before strength.

6. Bennayboi

Bennayboi Yellow Belt

Bright, i highly suggest you have a backup plan if youre going to persue an MMA career. Fighters usually end up with broken bodies and little to no money or credentials. The pay in the ufc sucks for everyone except maybe 10 fighters in the whole organization.

OP, we need more information about your current training.

7. Bright5086200

Bright5086200 Blue Belt

yea i understand man. Thats why i would get a college education while doing football and MMA on the side. Or just MMA. I love them both and would have a job coming out of college, but i would also train as much as possible u know?

8. Jok3r

Jok3r White Belt

Answers and My current workout

What college did you attend for football? Division 1 2 or 3?? Attended D2 then transfered to a d3 school in NJ

Also what made you switch? MMA just became more of a passion and challenge, also, I was moved to WR and I despise that position (played qb/rb). We also run a spread offense, similar to West Virginia/Michigan (not a huge fan). Also at the d3 school I'm at, it showed me the not so great aspects of college football. For example, kids (actually men in the 20's) would get on the football team because of the coaches, have no right being in college, and fail out within the first semester, and this is a common practice. Its not something I want to be a part of, also I want to concetrate on school (double major and I need over a 3.5 to get into a good law school)

Did you always want to go to college for football or did you always have a true MMA love? Always college football, began following MMA in the past year, I received partial scholarships from small d1 schools and d2, picked the d2 school because I wanted to play asap

My answer/opinion

I'm 5'8 165 (give or take), run about a mid 4.6 forty consistently. If I wanted to be d-1 or even have a sniff at the pro's I'd have to run sub 4.5. Coming out of high school I was 150, and many d1 coaches stated I was too small, or haven't matured enough physically etc. The amount of work needed to even get a shot at the pros is unfathomable. MMA on the other hand, though difficult to reach a high level or fight in the big time promotions; doesn't deny you because of size(different weight classes) Also, I'm having more fun sparring and learning a bunch of different stuff then most football practices I've had. The best, most fun football you'll ever play is in your high school years. After that, it seems different, I don't know how to explain. Maybe you'll see. In your situation, I'd base my decision on first academics (college football takes a lot of damn time), then what sport (mma, football) do you have a better chance in succeeding (BTW IF YOU DO BOTH, YOU CAN'T TURN PROFESSIONAL IN MMA, NCAA will kick you out). If you don't succeed at either, at least you have your education.

Bottom line, I choose MMA because its funner, challenging, less relying on people around you, education, and I have a slightly better chance in succeeding, good luck man.

Workout (My friend plays WR for Oklahoma and sent me this work out, Adrian Peterson used this)

neck(four direction)
    Standing shoulder shrug
    incline / flat bench
    close grip pull up
    manchine pullover
    flat/incline dumbell press
    dumbell lateral front raise
    seated cable pull
    flat incline machin chest press
    lat pulldown
    machine overhead press
    machine row
    machine flye/ lateral raise
    machine reverse fly
    extrnal/internal rotation
    tricep pressdown
    cable curl
    hand gripper
    wrist flextion/extencion

Tues Thurs Lower body
    hang clean
    or deadlift/squat
    romanian dead lift/ glute ham raise
    leg press
    leg curl
    one leg press
    dumbell step up or lung
    one leg curl
    leg curl on exercise ball
    one leg hip flexion
    bridge exercise on ball
    hip abduction
    hip abduction
    leg extencion
    standing calf raise
    ball/ machine / back extension
    ball /machine/crunch
    medicine ball/machine torso twist
    reverse crunch/ cable side bend

9. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

10. FiveFeezy

FiveFeezy Orange Belt

FAQ's FTW

EDIT: Damn, Tosa, you beat me to it.

11. Jok3r

Jok3r White Belt

f*ck forgot to put the sets/reps/etc
    copied from microsoft excel so it may look off

Monday & Wed

Exercise sets reps
    neck(four direction) 1 6 to 10
    Standing shoulder shrug 1 6 to 10
    incline / flat bench 3 10,8,6
    close grip pull up 1 to failure
    manchine pullover 1 6 to 10
    flat/incline dumbell press 2 6 to 10
    dumbell lateral front raise 1 6 to 10
    seated cable pull 1 6 to 10
    flat incline machin chest press 1 6 to 10
    lat pulldown 1 6 to 10
    machine overhead press 1 6 to 10
    machine row 1 6 to 10
    machine flye/ lateral raise 1 6 to 10
    machine reverse fly 1 6 to 10
    extrnal/internal rotation 1 6 to 10
    tricep pressdown 1 6 to 10
    cable curl 1 6 to 10
    hand gripper 1 6 to 10
    wrist flextion/extencion 1 6 to 10

Tues Thurs Lower body
    hang clean 3 6
    or deadlift/squat 3 12,10,8
    romanian dead lift/ glute ham raise 2 6 to 10
    leg press 2 6 to 10
    leg curl 1 6 to 10
    one leg press 1 6 to 10
    dumbell step up or lung
    one leg curl 1 6 to 10
    leg curl on exercise ball
    one leg hip flexion 1 6 to 10
    bridge exercise on ball
    hip abduction 1 6 to 10
    hip abduction 1 6 to 10
    leg extencion 1 6 to 10
    standing calf raise 1 6 to 10
    ball/ machine / back extension 1 15
    ball /machine/crunch 1 25
    medicine ball/machine torso twist 1 40
    reverse crunch/ cable side bend 1 15

12. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

It's still a terrible routine. Doing a million-trillion-bajillion (A.K.A. 19) exercises per workout is ridiculous.

13. Jok3r

Jok3r White Belt

Is it terrible for mma?

I usually change my routine every 6 weeks, and I've been doing this for four weeks now (btw I'm able to grab rim and almost dunk, and I'm 5'8 since doing this routine).

14. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

Yes.

You need to find a long-term program. Completely changing your routine every 6 weeks seems like a wonderful way to make little/no actual progress in the gym.