Football Coach fired for refusing to stop team prayers

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by cooks1, Aug 10, 2016.

1. cooks1

cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

I'll just leave this here. Should be good for a chuckle.

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/08/...or-praying-on-field-sues-school-dis/21448430/

2. ripskater

ripskater Guest

Good for the coach for standing up for his beliefs.

With football this is a common thing to say a prayer for the kids. It's a contact sport that takes a lot of courage. It's common in fighting sports (boxing, mma), football and sports like that. Prayer before games is probably most common in the sport of football.

3. Iceberg Slim

Iceberg Slim Only a fool trips over what is behind him

They couldn't really enforce "not praying" because he can do that in his head. What they really were asking was for him to stop making a spectacle of it by taking a knee at the 50 and drawing attention to his prayer. He refused. That seems like a fair enough reason to not rehire an employee.

4. oldshadow

oldshadow Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

If at the time he was representing the school officially then they have a right to ask him to stop this and fire him if they want.

5. cooks1

Would you be OK with your kid taking a knee with the team and bowing his head while a Jewish coach said a Jewish prayer, or a Muslim coach said a Muslim prayer?

bad seed and LionExMachina like this.
  6. Thunderflash500

Thunderflash500 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

If he was Muslim they wouldn't have fired him.

Space and BOWHUNTER like this.
  7. cooks1

A very interesting observation. No one could stop a person from truly praying. What they were really trying to stop was proselytizing.

Kiddo716 and LionExMachina like this.
  8. cooks1

Now THAT would be interesting. Could you imagine the shitstorm if a Christian coach was fired for leading the team in public Christian prayers, but a Muslim coach was not fired for trying to lead a team in public Muslim prayers.

9. ripskater

ripskater Guest

As long as the Muslim coach is saying "God" instead of "Allah." I might be ok with that.

10. Fedorable

Fedorable Continues without supporting Sherdog.

are the kids being force to pray or is it optional? That is my only concern.

DrDune likes this.
  11. 44nutman

44nutman The Original Nut of Sherdog

When I played High School Football we prayed in the end zone prior to and after every game.
    The NFL after every game, there is a circle of players from both teams that pray on the 50 yard line.
    I have no problem with it as long as it was not required for a player to attend the prayer.
    I can also see the school officials point of view of separating church and state.

The coach should have just done the prayer on the team bus or the locker room if the school officials were complaining.

12. cooks1

Yeah, I'm sure a Muslim coach would to that :rolleyes:

LionExMachina likes this.
  13. cooks1

Good point. I don't have an issue with the NFL dudes praying, but I do with the HS coach leading the public prayers after the game. There are some major differences between those 2 things.

The NFL players are adults, making a personal choice on their own, that is not being driven by their superiors or employers. Some do it, some don't. And the event is not a government funded event.

Putting a high school kid in a situation where he would basically need to self ostracize in order to step away from a public prayer at the direction of his coach is not really fair to the kid. MAYBE I had the confidence to do something like that in 12th grade, but in 10th grade, no way. I definitely remember sitting through some football team prayers in 10th grade just to conform, as I quit believing in God roughly the same time I quit believing in Santa. It did not do me any harm, but that does not make it right or OK. Thinking back, I definitely remember some Jewish friends showing genuine discomfort.
    By 12th grade I was just doing wrestling, cross country and track, and none of those teams did team prayers.

And obviously being a school, I agree it is necessary to separate church and state.

LionExMachina and Kafir-kun like this.
  14. cooks1

Just like you can not really stop someone from praying (as someone already mentioned a person can easily pray silently and discreetly) I don't think you can actually foist prayer upon someone. All you can really foist upon them is the forced compliance of sitting there in a circle in silence. That is certainly not the end of the world, but nor is it right.

LionExMachina and Kafir-kun like this.
  15. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun not-so-grand mufti of Sherdog

Democratic People's Islamic Republic of Kekistan
    What difference does that make? You do realize Christian Arabs use the term "Allah" as well? This is like saying Latin American Catholics shouldn't say "Dios".

bad seed and LionExMachina like this.
  16. ripskater

ripskater Guest

Allah described in the Muslim Holy books sounds and is described exactly like Satan. So I don't want any prayers to Allah.

But I see what you're saying.

17. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

God, Allah, Yahweh are the same thing...it's just a different language so the name becomes different don't be so dense here.

18. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun not-so-grand mufti of Sherdog

Democratic People's Islamic Republic of Kekistan
    So basically your religion tells you that their religion is not only wrong but evil so you would be okay with certain restrictions on them that don't apply to you like which wor ds should not be spoken in certain languages.

Maybe I read you wrong but that's what I got out of it.

19. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

I don't think the firing is justified really. I'm not christian and some of my soccer coaches were, so we prayed at the beginning of the game even though i wasn't of his faith. Kids weren't forced, but lots stood there just to be team like i did.

As long as the kids aren't forced this is a silly issue ultimately. In most states its almost tradition to pray during football. Usually it happens in the locker room but shit who cares if its on the field.

ripskater and cooks1 like this.
  20. cooks1

Would a generic 'general moment of silence' before a game be good enough for you?