Foot or Shin?

Chthon said:
Guys, stop. Seriously, just stop.
You're right. It's just I'm learning things like anatomy and physiology and always try to enlarge my knowledge, but then there comes this dude and invents some stupidity and spreads it all over the place, it makes me sick. But you're right, we're kicking a dead horse......... whith the foot. Muahahaha. :wink:

Kyryllo said:
I thought you were a big fan of analogizing arguements. :rolleyes:

If there is a majority that follows the same assumption, it doesn't mean the assumption is correct. Since no one of them could bring up any plausible arguementation that would prove their point. And your poor attempts to invent something semi-plausible were just ridiculous, so that they even made my point, with which I'm by far not alone, even stronger.

There were two things wrong w/ what you said. ONe is the one you mentioned. The main one is you should think: does the majority in a worldwide scale encourage or discourage foot kicking? And I want you to think about what type of people are the majority belief, and then relate that to the stubborn people who once believed the world being flat.

I don't know what you guys are kicking. We kick 800lb bags. You kick that thing with a foot, it'll break.

and your poor attempts to invent something semi-plausible were just ridiculous, so that they even made my point, with which I'm by far not alone, even stronger.
Your argument stronger? You take pride in what you and two other people believe? What is this, a contest?

Really, this is a discussion forum, not a contest. You have to realize this before you post on threads like this. The most simplest questions lead to the most immature posts. "Not a popularity contest" EEG says. my ass.

I still like this quote; kryllo's first and most mature comment of this thread. it also foreshadows what he wanted this thread was to eventually become.
I can go througha baseball bat with my instep, it's a matter of conditioning, shins are easier to condition then feet though.
And BBN please shut up. You know about anathomy and biomechanics less then a nun about fist-fucking.

I was starting to feel sorry for the guy, but he just keeps asking for it...

As for kicking, I kick through 5cm of solid wood with the ball of foot. Kyryllo kicks through a baseball bat with his instep.

When you do either with your shin, let us know. Not that it's not possible, but I'm sure that you cannot do it.

"This message is hidden because BlackBeltNow is on your ignore list."

I've enough of him, I don't even want to know what he posted in the last post.

ActuAlly about most of the world comment, i do belive most Chinese Martial arts belive in kicking with the foot and I'd also wadger that most japanese do aswell, so thats like over a billion there dude, plus MA's like TKD, Karate, Gung Foo,Capoiera(sp?) and JKD(not positive on this one tho) all use the foot mostly and are pretty popular in the western world, so I'd say the majority of people belive the foot is the way to go, as for kicking with the instep, i've gone throught about, 3 boards that are about an inch thick placed back to back. I'm sure I'm not making an record but just saying insteps aren't gonna break as easily as people belive. O, and I would never suggest any one begin on an 800lb bag, because if it's bottom heavy, which most bags usually become, ur gonna hurt no matter if u use shin or foot.

BlackBeltNow said:
There were two things wrong w/ what you said. ONe is the one you mentioned. The main one is you should think: does the majority in a worldwide scale encourage or discourage foot kicking? And I want you to think about what type of people are the majority belief, and then relate that to the stubborn people who once believed the world being flat.

Mostly I'm trying to stay out of the little flame war between you guys. Majority consensus here is that they like to kick with their shins. Based on the martial art where most have been training this isn't exactly surprising. However, the majority does NOT say that kicking with the instep is bad because it will injure you.

I don't know what you guys are kicking. We kick 800lb bags. You kick that thing with a foot, it'll break.

Uh, wrong. Since you aren't responding to logic on this score or the experiences of many of us (and millions of people in the world), I'll offer to demonstrate for you. PM me if you need details of when and where you can find me.

Again, I'll reiterate my position: I have trained with both instep and shin. I use both. I don't have a problem with either one.

funkgsus said:
ActuAlly about most of the world comment, i do belive most Chinese Martial arts belive in kicking with the foot and I'd also wadger that most japanese do aswell, so thats like over a billion there dude, plus MA's like TKD, Karate, Gung Foo,Capoiera(sp?) and JKD(not positive on this one tho) all use the foot mostly and are pretty popular in the western world, so I'd say the majority of people belive the foot is the way to go, as for kicking with the instep, i've gone throught about, 3 boards that are about an inch thick placed back to back. I'm sure I'm not making an record but just saying insteps aren't gonna break as easily as people belive. O, and I would never suggest any one begin on an 800lb bag, because if it's bottom heavy, which most bags usually become, ur gonna hurt no matter if u use shin or foot.

board breaking? HA!

bloodsport-chongli.jpg

board not hit back!

I don't get it. Do you mean I have to move into bone breaking?

Evil Eye Gouger said:
I was starting to feel sorry for the guy, but he just keeps asking for it...

As for kicking, I kick through 5cm of solid wood with the ball of foot. Kyryllo kicks through a baseball bat with his instep.

When you do either with your shin, let us know. Not that it's not possible, but I'm sure that you cannot do it.

why are u sure? what is your rationale? is it b/c I patiently have not flamed back to any of the people who have been e-bullying me, implying that in the real world i must be a bad kicker?

this is just plain retarded. do what kyrollo did and block me. really, you're talking about kicking boards to represent your e-pride.

board kicking...wow. i officially lose this contest. what's was it in M. funaki's (i haven't seen him in a while) sig? It was like "Don't argue with idiots, u always lose b/c they'll beat you at stupidity" or something.

Kyryllo said:
My records are:
3-0 in MMA
34-7 in Sambo/combat Sambo
14-1-1 in Boxing (9 KO)
13-2 in kickboxing (8 KO)
10-2 in kickboxing (5 KO under MT rules)
261-48 in Fullcontact TKD (45 KO)
since he's blocking me, i'll say what i had wanted to say about this, but was too polite to:

3+34+7+14+1+1+13+2+10+2+261+48 = ~400

use your imagination

Heh heh...

I used to have very specific opinions on this. I used to believe that if you kicked with the foot you kicked with the ball of the foot. And I've conditioned my toes to pull back very far for just that reason. It works good for knocking the wind out of people.

As far as I was concerned the instep was wrong. A good way to break your foot. I've had kickboxers shin kick me, so I knew that worked okay too...

But then I saw Crocop KTFO of people with his instep. At that point I had two choices. Either accept that the instep really does work too, or go tell Crocop he was kicking the wrong way.

Since Crocop is really big and scary, I decided to accept that there is more than one way to do something.

;)

Oh...and BlackBeltNow

You wonder why you are people mock you? You wonder why people try to avoid you? I mean all you are trying to do is spread the truth, right?

Let me put it in a fitting analogy for you. There are other people who want to spread the truth too. They are evangelists. They are going to save all of their friends. See no one minds inviting their catholic buddy watch the football game. Or any other religious dude who goes to church on Sunday, but ultimately is there to watch the game.

But they never invite over the evangelist. Because while you are trying to eat doritos, check out the cheerleaders, and cheer on your team he keeps interrupting about heaven/hell and to ask you if you've thought about god recently.

If you actually wanted to discuss things intelligently instead of convert people to your way of thinking you might find people a bit less hostile...

aaron_mag said:
If you actually wanted to discuss things intelligently instead of convert people to your way of thinking you might find people a bit less hostile...

I'm 100% sure they already prejudiced against me. Read both their first responses; they were hostile from the start.

and about cc. Head kick is okay with instep. Heck even "chambering" are semi-okay for head kicks. If you do a body kick to the head ("baseball-bat type kick"), the leg will get caught in the elbow or wont' go high enough. So when you head kick you actually throw your leg vertically, then "steer" the foot inwards. And all this can't happen if you don't bend ur knee. The head is easier to hurt and lighter target, so when kicking it, you can (and should) bend the rules. You're not going to break your foot kicking someone's neck. I'm only talking about kicking heavier targets such as body or leg or heavy bag.

The thread starter asked about bag kicking (and I assume it's a heavy bag) so I gave the appropriate answer

BlackBeltNow said:
why are u sure? what is your rationale? is it b/c I patiently have not flamed back to any of the people who have been e-bullying me, implying that in the real world i must be a bad kicker?
E-Bullying? You've e-bullied every single TMA thread in Sherdog history.

this is just plain retarded. do what kyrollo did and block me. really, you're talking about kicking boards to represent your e-pride.

board kicking...wow. i officially lose this contest. what's was it in M. funaki's (i haven't seen him in a while) sig? It was like "Don't argue with idiots, u always lose b/c they'll beat you at stupidity" or something.
No. I am not talking about kicking boards to represent my e-pride. I don't care much for kicking boards, actually.

But if my foot is still nowhere near being broken after all that, then there's something wrong with your theory.

Because only on your planet does kicking liver = ankle lock yourself, break your metatarsals, get cancer and die, and what not, but kicking solid wood = pussyness that's easy.

Oh man... I remember this topic being done many times before. It almost always de-evolves into a style vs. style war. This has to be the standup forum's equivalent to the grappling forum's gi vs. no gi threads.

Actually, what's funny is that the shin kickers and instep kickers aren't really arguing about one being better than the other. The only reason this has gone three pages is a few guys that seem to think an instep kicker is going to break his foot or ankle from kicking hard to the body.

TheHighlander said:
Actually, what's funny is that the shin kickers and instep kickers aren't really arguing about one being better than the other. The only reason this has gone three pages is a few guys that seem to think an instep kicker is going to break his foot or ankle from kicking hard to the body.

Something I more or less alluded to a couple pages back.

Yes, reasonable people can agree that there are relative merits and drawbacks to both approaches. It's the people (well, the person, really) with the "Muay Thai is teh shit/TMA is teh suck"-addled brains who aren't making any sense.

I've never broken my entire foot but I have broken all ten of my toes. The worst time was when I threw a left lowkick at a sparring partner and he backed up just enough so that my toes clipped his kneecap. I broke my big toe and the two next to it on that one.
I've never broken my shin on someone else though and when it lands it hurts, so I'd say go with the shin. Make sure to condition your shins. Sparring without shingaurds always helped me. Nightly I beat my shins with a rolling pin and roll it across the knots, then rubbing them out with Tiger Balm. Start slow and give your shins time to heal, eventually the nerves will be dulled and you won't have nearly as much feeling in them.

Back