Foot or Shin?

G

Golddoor

When kicking a bag do you connect with the foot or the shin? I seem to kick harder with hitting the top of my foot. But I was told that the shin is the only place you should kick with?

it has to do with the risk of breaking bones and the ultimate damage your strike can deliver. to me, physics dictates that the foot will be moving faster and thereby have more power. however, instructors (MT) will tell you the shin...for form. If you aim with the foot and miss, that is bad. If you aim with the shin and land with the foot...so be it. look at cro cop or aertes...they land both.

Golddoor said:
When kicking a bag do you connect with the foot or the shin? I seem to kick harder with hitting the top of my foot. But I was told that the shin is the only place you should kick with?

shin. kick w/ ur foot as hard on a bag as you claim, and it would have been broken by now.

edit (can't edit posts w/ dubbs). You probaly think you're kicking harder b/c if you kick w/ ur foot, which is weaker, you feel more pain/pressure and it tricks you into thinking that's stronger.

BlackBeltNow said:
shin. kick w/ ur foot as hard on a bag as you claim, and it would have been broken by now.
LOL.

Dude, you come up with the most inventive shit on this board.

If you manage to break your foot on the heavy bag, you and your mother should have drunk a whole lot more milk than you did.

FCFighter316 said:
word, i dont know how much fat you have on your foot but im skinny as hell and when i accidently hit my foot on a heavy bag my blood veins will burst, and i'll be in pain. If you have shoes on, like bruce lee, your foot will be protected and ultimatly hit harder (same reason we hit the bag w/gloves)
I mean one time i was kicking a focus mit with all my force with my coach and accidently hit my foot and BAM! hurt like a mofo, not to mention my whole right foot swole up and i couldnt' kickbox for 2 weeks!

You might have some week bones in your feet then. I kick primarly with my shin, but I never have a problem when my foot connects(at least when connecting with the top part of the foot). I also have heavy bones, but I have seen people with small frames do the same as I do with out problems.

depends which kick you are throwing, if it is a roundhouse kick then defintly hit with the shin, if it is a push kick or side kick, then hit with the foot.

Just to clear something up. If you do hit with the instep, never hit with the top of the foot (close to your toes). Always hit with the part of the instep which is directly opposite your heel. The toughest bones in the foot are there and since they are opposite the heel, your foot won't run the risk of being hyperextended. You can also aim with the bottom of the shin, so the accidental misses will still hit with the good part of the instep.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
LOL.

Dude, you come up with the most inventive shit on this board.

If you manage to break your foot on the heavy bag, you and your mother should have drunk a whole lot more milk than you did.

why? kicking w/ ur foot is like being impulse-ankle locked. if you kick w/ ur foot and your ankle doesn't sprain, it means u didn't kick it hard.

BlackBeltNow said:

Tell that to Cro cop and a million other kickboxers who kick, purposely or not, with there foot all the time. Some peoples feet are tougher than yours and mine. I don't kick with my foot cause my feet are as thin as razor blades, but Cro cop soccer kicks guys with his foot all the time. Watch Cro vs Igor or Cro vs Waterman or Cro vs Coleman on any given HL.

I can go througha baseball bat with my instep, it's a matter of conditioning, shins are easier to condition then feet though.
And BBN please shut up. You know about anathomy and biomechanics less then a nun about fist-fucking.

I kick harder with the foot than with the shin. Unless I hit an elbow (not very likely on bag work), there's no way I'm going to hurt myself. I use the shin more when I'm too close and I don't want to go for the head.

Kyryllo said:
I can go througha baseball bat with my instep, it's a matter of conditioning, shins are easier to condition then feet though.
And BBN please shut up. You know about anathomy and biomechanics less then a nun about fist-fucking.

you're nto supposed to kick w/ foot. instep and foot are not the same thing

BlackBeltNow said:
why? kicking w/ ur foot is like being impulse-ankle locked. if you kick w/ ur foot and your ankle doesn't sprain, it means u didn't kick it hard.
No, dude. Kicking with the foot is exactly like having your head smashed by Fedor from the guard.

Look, if you don't know how to kick, then that's fine, but don't spend half your life telling everybody in Standup that if your teacher didn't tell you something, then it must be impossible.

BlackBeltNow said:
you're nto supposed to kick w/ foot. instep and foot are not the same thing

Like I already said you have no idea about anatomy.

instep2.gif

I know what an instep is. Just b/c it is part of it doesn't mean it is the same. an apple's a fruit but tellingn someone to eat fruit is not the same as tellign someone to eat apples.

WTF??? You also seem not having any clue of logic! What are you smoking?

I'm not sure where you got that picture, but the picture you had before you edited and others such as this say the instep is the higher portion of the foot.
instep.jpg

heel-instep-ball.gif

BootMeas-Sole~200.jpg

and the definition I got is
n

intep or shin. End of discussion. Kicking people with your foot will break your toes or foot unless you catch them in front of the neck. Then you're just bitch slapping their face with your foot (Like horn did to Chuck in their first fight) and that's not going to knock anyone out.

Back