Foods that negatively affect your workout performance

M

machine29

I read that certain foods can really throw a hindrance into your work out the next day.

Being a runner, I have found if I eat certain foods in a good quantity the night before a long run, I seem to really struggle.

I splurged and ate some ice cream the night before and the next day my ankles and calves cramped and hurt like shit when I started my run.

Does anyone know of the best foods to eat the night before or the day of working out and the foods to avoid like the plague?

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum.

I don't think ice cream should affect your joints at all. The worst that might happen is you'd feel a bit sluggish, and that's only if you ate it right before bed and ran first thing in the morning. Of course, if you want the OPTIMAL stuff to eat, WCLegend is right...complex carbs are ideal, with not too much fat.

I know for myself personally I have awful workouts after I eat red meat. I don't know what it is, but I just can't perform a day after eating a big steak.

I know it's not a food but I'm pretty sure beer will hinder your workout. :icon_chee

Once I ate two cheese dogs before BJJ class man I was dragging ass.

Actually, I had a 4 point hockey game last week after 2 beers and a game before that, so don't question the power of beer my friend... That and I was playing in an easier league the second time...

egg whites with one whole egg and some baked beans are awesome for me.....just protein alone is usually a no go.

dairy, especially ice cream and any breads pretty much f*ck my day. it sucks because those are my favorite foods.

other than that its more the amount i eat as opposed to what i eat.

I am pretty sure everyone will just have to experiment and figure out which foods make you feel like shit when you train...however i am sure rocky road can easily mess anyone up:)

Back