Foods that make you gag

Lol, reminds me of this episode of some reality show.

tumblr_mfb4rgKPLE1qe0zpoo1_500.png

Talking about things that are vomit inducing.

Lol also the whole time people were talking about brussel sprouts I thought they meant these..

bean-sprouts.jpg

But they were talking about these

brussels-sprouts-recipes.jpg

Brussel sprouts cooked right are good too. But as I was looking for this picture I saw a description of "Brussel sprouts striking fear into the hearts of kids everywhere." I wonder where that comes from. I've never had a bad experience with them.

You can't be serious? Those are freaking amazing. My only gripe with all those vacuum-sealed Asian specialty packages was that getting them over here is so damn expensive. They're the pork rinds of Japan, but over here, they want to charge you like $7 for a package in the specialty stores that carry them.

I'll eat just about anything under the sun. When it comes to food I'm always reminding myself to be grateful I have it. No matter how much I don't enjoy something I try to think about the human beings in history who at some point in their lives suffered a hunger where they would have sobbed and begged me just for a single bite of what was displeasing me. I think about the stories of the prisoners of the Khmer Rouge talking about finding a single grain of rice, and feeling thankful that it was a good day. That mindset is a surefire cure to an elevated nose.

Nevertheless, I have encountered a few things that I couldn't get down. Once my friends and I ordered sushi from one of the most esteemed sushi restaurants in Long Island. I forget the name. Anyway, we wanted to try some of the rarer, more unique rolls on their menu since we all ate sushi several times a week and the standards seemed boring from such a vaunted restaurant. We got a sushi roll that included fermented pickled plums (in the same way carrots or celery or some other vegetable are often thinly sliced and incorporated). We didn't even eat it whole. I thought I was safe! I'd had fermented black bean curds at a modest Chinese restaurant in the city, and I adored them. Just about every "fermented" product I've ever eaten I've enjoyed. I'm pretty hardcore for an American. I add uncooked fish sauce to condiments.

Not this. Oh, sweet Lord, not this. This stuff is called "Umeboshi". Avoid it like the plague:

Umeboshi.jpg

Also, I live in olive country; my county produces the best olive oil in the USA, and though I absolutely adore olives, including black olives, I have come across some of the most putrid black olive tapenades humanly imaginable. I'm talking about a kind of bad that is so bad it makes you want to find some random farmer and punch him in the face; a bad so bad that you want to join a logging company because fucking trees did this to you. Just generally speaking this stuff is atrocious, and I don't know what else could explain how it ever became a thing besides the sole alternative of starvation:

kalamata_tapenade_xl.jpg

Yet I know I haven't truly walked through the Valley of the Shadow of Death. At some point I must. I simply must. This be the white whale, boys, and I challenge Sherdog to try to beat it. Not gonna happen. This has to be the favorite for the gold medal of "most disgusting food tradition founded by the human species":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming

1280px-Surstr%C3%B6mming.jpg

I can't find the NPR/Create channel episode where I first learned about this. I'm pretty sure it was Tina Nordstrom's show. She visited a place that specialized in it. Okay, so the standard stuff is aged for six months. That's bad enough, but she went to a place where it is made, and she couldn't even stand in a room with a fresh bucket of the stuff without having to hold her arm over her nose, and then jump out. Meanwhile, it didn't phase the guys there. It was like the place could have just as easily been a perfume factory. They're just sloshing this stuff around by the bucket indoors. Another day at the beach.

Then the old guy, the equally nose-blind owner, the one doing the interview, he tells her he has something "special" for her. He holds up one of those flat, rectangular tin cans like Spam uses. He says, "This one is aged for 3 years. We cannot open this in here. It's too strong." You hear him say that, holding up this tiny can, while a dude is stirring this giant bucket of rotting dead fish a few feet away. If this was theater, then it had the desired effect. I was terrified...from the safety of my couch. It didn't feel like thousands of miles and time itself were sufficient to separate me from this thing.

So they go outside to a picnic table. It looks like a cool summer day in Scandinavia: clear and clean. He cracks it, and the moment he cracks it, with her nose several feet away, she violently turns like she's been punched, and she starts violently gagging. They don't cut away. No editing. Within 60 seconds you can see nearly a dozen or two flies swarm, flying about their heads, desperately wanting to get to this stuff. It's like they've seen the face of God.

I'll never forget it. Gotta eat some of this. Bucket list.

Natto... Fermented soy beans. Smells like barf.

Mushrooms, all day, everyday

You already know the guys in here complaining about seafood definitely don't eat pussy.. Wimps

Tuna salad. I'm fine with canned tuna and just mayonnaise but when you start adding pickles and onions and shit, it just changes it for me.

I was on a bit of a comedown/hangover one xmas day and I've no idea what this shit was but it was like a red onion/red cabbage dish but oh man the smell of it was making me wretch at the dinner table.

Self inflicted but it still made me feel awful

Back