Food with the Highest Protein Content

I'm assuming you are asking this in order to pick some economical whole food options to gain muscle and consume protein without having to eat large portions.

One of your easiest, highest protein content, and most economical choices will be a can of tuna. The consumption concerns there are mercury content. You should be fine at a can a day though. Also to note, ironicly the chunk light (cheaper) has less mercury than the albacore tuna.

Lean beef: If you are trying to put on muscle mass, red meat is king. Tuna has good protein but is ultimately a leaning out source of protein. Trying to build muscle? Then get some lean red meat (anything from 90%+ lean ground beef to flank steak works here). Ask any bodybuilder and they'll tell you to eat beef to get big.

Chicken breasts: Just like tuna in terms of lean protein. ~30grams per breast (largely dependent on size). Easy to eat, lots of ways to prepare.

Eggs: Egg whites are not a bad protein source but whoever told you that they are the universal standard and best source is just plain wrong. I know I for one can eat a can of tuna straight from the can a heck of a lot easier than 6 frickin' eggs.

Total required protein content per day: Jury is still out on this. You can find a dozen different official sources. However, to whoever said 1.5 grams per pound of weight, you are incorrect. Figures like that are quoted as grams per LEAN pound of bodymass. Meaning a 200 pound man at 0% bodyfat requires the 300 grams that school of thought requires. The same 200 pound man at 15% bodyfat only requires 255 grams of protein per day. This is because it is your muscles that require the protein, not adipose (fat tissue). Higher bodyweight does not require more protein. More muscle mass requires more protein.

Eat COD (fish e.g. alaska pollok and such fish) goddamnit. Its cheap as fuck and high protein 16% protein 0.2 fat.
And of course chickenbreasts 18 % prot 2 fat

If you can afford it, eat also:
shrimps 18% protein 1 % fat
smoked ham 17 % prot 4 % fat

Protein levels can vary sligtly...

Cottage cheese is good for protein content and it's cheap. Riccota cheese is a little more expensive but it tastes better.

Sonny said:
Cottage cheese is good for protein content and it's cheap. Riccota cheese is a little more expensive but it tastes better.

I've seen cottage cheese mentioned before, but have no idea what to eat it with. One guy I talked to eats it straight out of a bowl with a spoon. Anybody know of some good cottage cheese recipes?

jasond said:
I've seen cottage cheese mentioned before, but have no idea what to eat it with. One guy I talked to eats it straight out of a bowl with a spoon. Anybody know of some good cottage cheese recipes?

I usually eat it on toast or just straight. Riccota cheese tastes WAY better if you choose to eat it straight.

If you don't like the taste of cottage cheese I've seen some people mix it with pineapple or honey.

Tuna is good. Get the pouches. 1 serving is around 20g of protein without hardly any fat or carbs. Skim milk is also good. 1 good sized glass (16 oz) is an easy 20g of protein with no fat, plus it's caesin protein which is slower-releasing (good before bed).

blownards said:
i make a protein smoothie that is tasty. 1 1/2 cups whey powder, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1 ounce vanilla extract & a banana. i drink one every night before bed for maximum absorbtion.

I always though after about 10 oclock your bodies metaboolism stops pretty much so most things eaten dont get digested much and pretty much pass through.Is this wrong?

KOU In3 said:
whoever told you that they are the universal standard and best source is just plain wrong. I .

I suggest you do some research.

The protein in eggs has a biological quality greater than any other natural food. In fact many manufacturers of protein powders often base their products on egg protein such as albumin because of its protein quality. Egg protein contains all the essential amino acids in the exact proportions required by the body for optimum growth and maintenance of lean, metabolically active tissue.

Woob said:
I always though after about 10 oclock your bodies metaboolism stops pretty much so most things eaten dont get digested much and pretty much pass through.Is this wrong?

yes thats wrong. it slows down. but things do gt digested.

also, sirloin is about 55g pro. per about 10oz

48LawsOfPower said:
I suggest you do some research.

The protein in eggs has a biological quality greater than any other natural food. In fact many manufacturers of protein powders often base their products on egg protein such as albumin because of its protein quality. Egg protein contains all the essential amino acids in the exact proportions required by the body for optimum growth and maintenance of lean, metabolically active tissue.

One egg also contains 79% of your reccomended total daily allowance of cholesteral as well. At only six grams of protein, do you have any idea what your blood work would look like if you got a truly significant amount of protein each day from eggs?

As to correct amino acid balances of protein sources, they've found time and again that outright protein quantity makes by far the biggest impact on muscle development. Your body is able to make due with a wide variey of amino acid profiles. An "ideal" profile tends not to lead to better development (more muscle built). Sufficient calories and any decent protein source does the job.

Bottom line- Getting big/building muscle on eggs is NOT your best bet. It is not the most efficient, nor is healthiest, nor is it the regimen followed or reccomended by dieticians and nutritionists. Eggs are an adequate source for part of your protein and a decent ingredient to incorporate in your nutritional diet. But they should NOT be the cornerstone of your protein intake.

Eggs are fine for you! Anyone who tells you eggs are bad for you doesn't know their ass from a pancake. I wake up every morning and have 4 eggs for breakfast. After my workout, 3 more hard boiled eggs. My cholesterol level is under 200, so WTF?! I'll tell you WTF: increased cholesterol is due to one of two factors: genetics (some people are just predispositioned to have cholesterol that should kill them), and the consumption of proccessed carbohydrates and processed food.

Furthermore, anyone ever notice that every decade they lower the level of cholesterol you should have? used to be 250, then 220, now 200? I personally think they're just trying to make people think they're sick so they can sell them drugs. In fact, when your cholesterol goes below 180 you chances of heart disease start increasing. In fact, there is suprisingly little correlation between high cholesterol and heart disease, so why sweat it?!

Eat your fuckin eggs. they're not the best thing for putting on muscle, but don't buy the hype that they're bad for you. People flip flop on the issue every week!

Eggs are an adequate source for part of your protein and a decent ingredient to incorporate in your nutritional diet. But they should NOT be the cornerstone of your protein intake.
this, however, is true.

Termites....seriously...

"Termites are high in protein, but also contain a high level of fat, and thus have a strong caloric value. In Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire), termites are lightly fried and sold in marketplaces to eat by hand. Termites are also converted into a colorless oil for frying. Protein content of termites is on the same level as dried saltfish taken from the same area, and is much higher than in beef."

http://www.si.edu/resource/faq/nmnh/buginfo/inasfood.htm

KOU In3 said:
One egg also contains 79% of your reccomended total daily allowance of cholesteral as well. At only six grams of protein, do you have any idea what your blood work would look like if you got a truly significant amount of protein each day from eggs?

As to correct amino acid balances of protein sources, they've found time and again that outright protein quantity makes by far the biggest impact on muscle development. Your body is able to make due with a wide variey of amino acid profiles. An "ideal" profile tends not to lead to better development (more muscle built). Sufficient calories and any decent protein source does the job.

Bottom line- Getting big/building muscle on eggs is NOT your best bet. It is not the most efficient, nor is healthiest, nor is it the regimen followed or reccomended by dieticians and nutritionists. Eggs are an adequate source for part of your protein and a decent ingredient to incorporate in your nutritional diet. But they should NOT be the cornerstone of your protein intake.

Cholesterol is a complex fatty substance found in every living cell. We cannot live without it. It provides the building blocks from which the body makes its own supply of sex and adrenal hormones. Cholesterol can also be converted to vitamin D in our body and used for the calcification of bones and teeth.

Our body is capable of making its own supply of cholesterol. In fact, most of the cholesterol found in our body is made there; only part of it comes from the food we eat. The liver and intestines are the primary sites where it is manufactured. Overproduction of cholesterol may be the most important factor contributing to arteriosclerosis, a form of hardening of the arteries. Probably 90 percent of all cases of strokes and heart attacks are due to arteriosclerosis.

Anyone try hempseed protein? FACT: It has the purest and most digestable to the human body omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids the plant world has to offer. Better than whey, flax and soy.

eljamaiquino said:
Termites....seriously...

"Termites are high in protein, but also contain a high level of fat, and thus have a strong caloric value. In Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire), termites are lightly fried and sold in marketplaces to eat by hand. Termites are also converted into a colorless oil for frying. Protein content of termites is on the same level as dried saltfish taken from the same area, and is much higher than in beef."

http://www.si.edu/resource/faq/nmnh/buginfo/inasfood.htm
Which do you perfer...subterranean,dry-wood,damp-wood,formosian?

You can be as obscure as you want. From termites to lobster to Omega3 fatty acid sources, and weird oils. I'm betting that a lot of those answers are pretty much missing the focus of the thread though.

He'd want to eat more protein to build muscle. You want to build muscle, look to a bodybuilder. That's essentially what they compete in. Their muscle building nutrition is going to be second to none. And the bulk of a bodybuilder's protein intake (from whole foods) is going to come from things like red meat, tuna, chicken, and turkey. Bascily any cut of lean meat/fish/poultry.

Then there are secondary sources like milk and eggs where they are getting protein from. But the biggest amount of their whole food protein intake is coming from that first list (chosen items depending on pre-contest or off-season).

Overall though I don't see the point of derailing the thread with esoteric answers on termites and lobster. It obscures what could be some decent info for some people with decent protein sources listed (I think someone else mentioned how high in protein yet lean ham can be as well for instance.).

KOU In3 said:
You can be as obscure as you want. From termites to lobster to Omega3 fatty acid sources, and weird oils. I'm betting that a lot of those answers are pretty much missing the focus of the thread though.

He'd want to eat more protein to build muscle. You want to build muscle, look to a bodybuilder. That's essentially what they compete in. Their muscle building nutrition is going to be second to none. And the bulk of a bodybuilder's protein intake (from whole foods) is going to come from things like red meat, tuna, chicken, and turkey. Bascily any cut of lean meat/fish/poultry.

Then there are secondary sources like milk and eggs where they are getting protein from. But the biggest amount of their whole food protein intake is coming from that first list (chosen items depending on pre-contest or off-season).

Overall though I don't see the point of derailing the thread with esoteric answers on termites and lobster. It obscures what could be some decent info for some people with decent protein sources listed (I think someone else mentioned how high in protein yet lean ham can be as well for instance.).
He didn't ask that. He never said that he was trying to change his physique or diet. He asked a question and we answered it. He didn't say which widely available or cheapes food has the highest protein conten. He may be writing a nutrition paper, who knows? If cow dung had a high percentage of protein, i'ld put that down too. its not a derailment...

jasond said:
Since cottage cheese is kind of a base, like vanilla ice cream, you can really mix it with just about anything, I like Knudsen 4% fat cottage cheese the best, any fresh fruit ,vegetables,spices, that you like will mix very well with it or on the side.

Back