Food for MMA, Athletes, cooks etc

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Almus Monk, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Almus Monk

Almus Monk Purple Belt

So I read an article in the latest figters only magazine and it was on food for MMA fighters.
    How some fighters are changing there diets, from GSP, Brock Lesnar, BJ Penn etc.

Some good stuff from John Bernard who changed GSP's diet.
    I was wondering if there is other sites on food plans best for athletes like mma fighters.
    places to eat like josh green's in las vegas? Im going to LA soon and will be training and was wondering whats good place to eat after training or getting some meals from there when i cant be bothered to cook.

and what are some good reciples from chefs who cook for fighters or other athletes, how to guys like gsp and bj penn or lesnar find there personal chefs?

thanks

2. EMAMMA

EMAMMA White Belt

I would say you might be getting a little too into it there.It's not about what the other fighters are eating, it's what works good for you. makes you feel at your best. I prefer eating plain chicken and green salads leading up to fights because it makes my body feel good, feel clean. But hey, if you want to go that balls out as to find a personal chef good for you. sorry that I can't help you though.

3. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

These are technically from the S&C "Forbidden Topics" rules, but I think they're more than applicable here:

""How do I get a body like [insert name here]" type threads - again this is not a bodybuilding forum, and if you name a fighter you're twice as dumb. Fighters train to fight, not to get their body to look a certain way, want a fighter's physique? Train for performance and cut to make weight.

"How does [insert fighter] train" type threads - Forbidden for three reasons: 1) Many fighters succeed in spite of their training not because of it. 2) An elite fighter's routine will differ on a fundamental level from yours because of experience. 3) Even if the fighter is at your level of lifting experience, and age, and skill, there are still many other factors that would make your routine different (personal weaknesses, muscle imbalances, periodization etc.)""

In other words, it's not a good road you're going down here.

4. Almus Monk

Almus Monk Purple Belt

Im not asking to change my body...
    Im asking about sites that can tell athletes the best way to eat. Obviously there are better ways to eat and I want to know.
    I never indicated I want to look like this athlete, Im asking about any fighter and there diets, there obviously pros and I should want some more knowledge and places to eat when I come to train.

Not looking to get a personal chef, just wondering how they randomly find a certain chef that knows what to feed an athlete.

thanks

5. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

"athlete" is not specific enough to design a diet over. Diet for someone who's logging 50+ miles a week training for a marathon probably looks a lot different from a professional football player or an MMA fighter. Even within a discipline of athletics, diet is going to be tied to what the goals are of the athlete at any given time.

6. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

You know what's a good resource for nutrition information? The FAQs. I don't mean to come across as harsh, but it's kinda odd to come here looking for "better ways to eat" and not check there, the most obvious place, first.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  7. Almus Monk

Almus Monk Purple Belt

Thanks guys. I checked out the FAQ and Im not exactly a beginner on nutrition.
    Sorry, I meant like MMA athlete, or an explosive athlete. I was just wondering if there were any more details like the article I read. Obviously the top fighters put alot more into this, and was wondering what there diets are like, cause they all seem to be a bt different.
    Thanks

8. leftovercrack

leftovercrack Yellow Belt

I think thats part of the point they are trying to make, all athletes diets are different cause there is no one set in stone diet for groups of people ie. explosive athletes, marathon etc. Top athletes diets will be tailored(if they care that much) to their individual goals, needs, wants.

There is alot of info in the faq's that can provide you the opportunity to increase your knowledge on nutrition for performance, learn how to "know" your own body and make educated decisions on your personal dietary needs.

9. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

Oh, you want to eat like an explosive athlete? Yeah, I dunno, that's kind of above our heads here. Explosive athletes have very unique dietary requirements...

j/k--(sarcasm)

I'm not sure what you're looking for, man, but I don't think it exists.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  10. Big H

Big H Blue Belt

If you eat lots of junk food you can be pretty explosive on the toilet seat.

11. Almus Monk

Almus Monk Purple Belt

Funny you cant ask a question on sherdog anymore..

Obviously mma is an explosive sport, there diets will be different to a long distance runner. Thats all I was asking, its not like its a waste of time asking, Im sure other fighters have tried to learn

12. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

You can ask questions on Sherdog. The problem with yours is that they aren't very clear, and you don't like the answers you are getting.

There is no "best" food plan for "mma fighters". There may be an optimal food plan for any individual fighter within the sport at any given time, but the optimal meal plan is going to change depending on what the training and dietary goals are at any given time.

Broadly, there are only a few things to tweak:

1. How many calories you are taking in (depends on whether the athlete wants to gain or lose weight, and what activity levels for the day/week look like)
    2. The macro nutrient ratios in the food
    3. The types of carbohydrates being consumed
    4. The types of fats being consumed

13. Almus Monk

Almus Monk Purple Belt

cheers dude.
    i didnt really get any replies giving info at first

14. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

I just don't understand what you're asking. In what way did you find the FAQs inadequate? I'm not saying the FAQs contain every answer, but I have no idea what you're looking for. "Explosive athlete diets?" What on earth do you mean by that? How do you think the guidelines for "explosive athlete diets" would be different than the guidelines of the FAQs? I mean, who do you think was in mind when the FAQs were designed? World of Warcraft athletes?

15. Almus Monk

Almus Monk Purple Belt

dude chill, Im bored of this now, its a bloody forum not a battlefield.
    I was looking for more articles written for MMA guys just like in the magazine, it was an interesting read and I enjoy reading stuff like that.

16. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

Battlefield? No one's fighting :D

So you're not interested in a diet for yourself, you just want to see what fighters eat?

17. Almus Monk

Almus Monk Purple Belt

haha true.

Well Iv been kinda given the green light to start training again after operations and many "recoverys", so Im putting myself on a diet again to get my weight, eat healthier and train the best I can.

But I am mostly interested in what fighters eat. I love reading or watching how fighters live, there training, eating etc, its just an interesting read for me and sometimes you find something new I guess. I recently bought those books on how a few boxing champs use to train like tyson, pacman, mayeather etc, just cool to read

18. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

This forum is all about applied nutrition, and education to that end.

If you just want to read about what fighters eat, I'd suggest searching the web sites of the various MMA magazines.

19. cooks1

cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

Well, I would first look at Roy Nelsons diet. Then look at Corey Hills. Finally, to take into consideration the new age factor, review the diet of Luke Cummo.

20. Almus Monk

Almus Monk Purple Belt

Thanks, will have another look