Fond memories of a good president - post yours

ehtheist

#FreeBanchan
Banned
Reaction score
Well, I have a few hours before my exam so I was looking at the news and I saw this article pop up:

"The president expressed concern during an interview with NPR that debates become "like walking on eggshells" when people feel social pressure to hold back their point of view.

"If somebody says, 'You know what, I'm not sure affirmative action is the right way to solve racial problems in this country,' and they're immediately accused of being racist, well, then I think you have a point," Obama said when asked if he agrees with President-elect Donald Trump that political correctness has gone too far.

Obama said he's given the same advice to his daughters, Malia and Sasha, as they prepare to go off to college.

"My advice to progressives like myself, and this is advice I give my own daughters ... is don't go around just looking for insults," he said. "You're tough. If somebody says something you don't agree with, just engage them on their ideas."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...insults/ar-AAlJfFx?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

I don't buy that he was one of the greatest presidents ever, but the guy was good, for every "you didn't build that" there was something where he graciously conceded a point to the other side of the schism in our country, or something that was legitimately inspirational.

So, take this opportunity to share some memories. Left or Right, name something Barry did to impress you throughout his time in the big chair.

e2eb94e65fe41daab138ae58cb04aa41.jpg
michelle-bush-hug.jpg

20041028_7-p43159-275jpg-515h.jpg
hug.jpg

Sorry - missed the part at the end (where you said "post something about Barry").

So, take this opportunity to share some memories. Left or Right, name something Barry did to impress you throughout his time in the big chair.
I was impressed by his success in destroying race relations entirely. Where earlier was slight tension is now open and vociferous hate.

You should perhaps rename your thread. The topic and your post talk of unrelated things.

Come on guys, even for those of you who disliked him, he had to have done something you approved of. The guy sometimes played it pretty down the middle and, I feel, for the good of the nation. Simply put, be better than the people who are unflinchingly negative about Bush. Both guys did what they thought was best for their country - or, on some cases, what Cheney told him to do - in their own way.

Case in point... Two negative responses - to those who posted them, did you dislike the message I posted in the OP? Because that's Barry - being Barry.

First woman president. He put egalitiarianism before the country

He did care about science and technology and did encourage a ton of youth to follow STEM degrees. The total number of STEM graduates per year more than doubled over the course of the Obama presidency

obama-a-schoolx-large.jpg

01whletter1-master768.jpg

Last edited:
He did care about science and technology and did encourage a ton of youth to follow STEM degrees. The totally number of STEM graduates per year more than doubled over the course of the Obama presidency

I like it. The guy did put his money where his mouth is for a lot of technologies that will likely be a big part of our future - but they'll only get there if we support these technologies. It wasn't always a success, but it's something that needs to be done even if it costs us.

And yes, the focus on education is good and particular getting more kids out of my beloved humanities and into something that puts bread on the table, so to speak. Thanks for the first positive contribution, and a tough one to argue against.

Also, for the rest of the participants in this thread, keep in mind... You can put a bad spin on Barry's best moment. You can do it with Bush too - that has been proven. Be more gracious about Barry on his way out than many were for Bush. Obama did some good for the country, even if you think it was a net negative, and at the very least you have to admit that he meant well in the way he could.

the thread title assumes we all think Obama was a good president. immediately off to a bad start

Well he put men in womens bathrooms. Remarkable acheivment I say.

1. When he won the Nobel Peace Prize
2. When he bombed a Doctor's Without Borders Hospital
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunduz_hospital_airstrike
On 3 October 2015, a United States Air Force AC-130U gunship attacked the Kunduz Trauma Centre operated by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), or Doctors Without Borders in the city of Kunduz, in the province of the same name in northern Afghanistan. It has been reported that at least 42 people were killed and over 30 were injured.

Médecins Sans Frontières condemned the incident, saying all warring parties had been notified of the hospital's location ahead of time, and that the airstrike was deliberate, a breach of international humanitarian law and MSF is working on the presumption of a war crime.

He did care about science and technology and did encourage a ton of youth to follow STEM degrees. The totally number of STEM graduates per year more than doubled over the course of the Obama presidency

How much did the number of Gender Studies students increase?

I never imagined how impressively divisive Obama would be fanning the flames between minorities and whites and law enforcement.

One example, where he actually praised Ahmed for bringing his fake bomb to school.

Back