Following someone to the ground after a knockdown is the worst thing you can do

anyone who got finished on the ground was probably not able to get up anyway
So your thread is based on a wild assumption.

A grappler who achieves a KD against a superior striker should in most situations use that chance to follow to the ground.

Seconds can be the difference in a fighter regaining his senses.

There is no way to just generalize this matter. Letting the guy back up can be the right decision or a huge mistake. It's not that easy.

I don't think this rule is universal but I do agree that sometimes fighters will jump into their opponent's guard when they shouldn't.

This is particularly bad when someone has a distinct striking advantage and grappling disadvantage.

it's the guys who clinch or just fall into guard that seem to be making a mistake.

I think a big problem is that many guys will rush in, with little regard for securing a safer/dominant position, thinking they will finish quickly...but end up caught in guard, or defending a guy trying to secure a leg or scrambling, etc.

focus on position, then go for the finish...which easier said that done, in the heat of the moment, of course.

Most of the time the guy will be too fucked up to gather his senses and stand up and the ref will need to stop it. If the ref doesn't stop it the guy who just got fucked up will have to stand and bang with you. There is literally zero reason to follow someone to the ground to finish them off. It's also a baller move which make you look better for the judges in case the person isn't finished.

I just rewatched coyboy Oliveria vs Ryan Leflare and Cowboy punches him and walks away and the ref has to stop the fight even thought Leflare is squirming around. If Cowboy hopped on him it would provide an excuse to not stop the fight.
Stupidity, if you don’t follow the guy half of the time he’ll get back to his feet and recover his faculties. Its better to take advantage of the moment and pound your opponent out while they’re dazed.

Stupidity, if you don’t follow the guy half of the time he’ll get back to his feet and recover his faculties. Its better to take advantage of the moment and pound your opponent out while they’re dazed.
nah, he gets up and you get in his face and knock him down again.

Part of the problem is IMHO you have fewer fighters these days who are so deadly in the follow up as guys like prime Wand, Shogun, Anderson or Fedor.

Sometimes a good ref will stop it. I didn't even think Frank Mir was out until the ref waved it off, then I saw Mir absolutely struggling to get up.

Edit: referring to the Hunt fight

Is it worse than posting your gym address on Sherdog then getting exposed?

Asking for a friend @poundmetoo

Sometimes a good ref will stop it. I didn't even think Frank Mir was out until the ref waved it off, then I saw Mir absolutely struggling to get up.
yeah, but if a ref sees a guy not even able to get to his feet he has to call it.

JDS disagrees

1.gif

You should always follow them down. But if you aren't getting off punches to the head in 5 seconds, then you should consider getting back up.

Or maybe not. Mashman vs Phillips on the Till-Masvidal. Marshman was knocked down and it looked very likely that if Phillips had decided to GNP him, he would have won. Instead he ended up losing by decision. When I saw that he did not want to go to the ground with him I was hoping that he'd lose by decision as it was incredibly dumb of him.

It depends how you follow them. When fighters rock their opponents and then jump into guard or half guard to finish I usually face palm. Why jump into the position that gives your oppoenent the best chance to wrap you up and stall? Circle around to their head. Force them to think and have to spin their body. You have more options and your opponent has to do more than instinctively grab you.

Back