Following failure to compete Tim Sylvia announces retirement

Anttonn

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Via westernmassmma.com on facebook

Apparently he went to the cage and said his mri returned weird dots that would prevent him from fighting and said he wanted this to be his retirement fight and that it's time to step away.

Poor timmeh shoulda got out sooner before we saw 371 pound timmeh

It's aparent he wasn't taking his career as serious as he should have. He was still the ufc heavyweight camp and defended his belt, more than many could say. Should have never left the ufc to fight fedor.

Happy to hear MMA is going to avoid it's first death in a cage.

I respect almost everyone that's stepped into a cage, but good god, 371? Talk about letting yourself go, man.

Pretty sad. 370 pounds and other medical issues, poor guy. Wish big Tim the best.

Now that's a sad way to get out of the sport. Wish him best in his retirement.

He's 371? Hate to say it but Sylvia ain't long for this world. He's retired now, imagine how fat he's going to get then.

Pretty sad. 370 pounds and other medical issues, poor guy. Wish big Tim the best.

Agreed, I'm really not as concerned about him retiring as I am for his health. I hope he's able to get to a healthy weight and get his medical issues resolved.

I like Tim. I wish him a good retirement. I remember him on one of those dating tv shows.

Edit:
Here is the video.
[YT]euRNF_WN6iw[/YT]

Last edited:
371 pounds? Holy shit. I saw the picture of the staredown at the weigh-ins. Not a nice thing to say, but: Sylvia looked like he was on some sort of medication, he was so bloated.

I thank Tim for all the great old memories. My favorite moment was when he took it to the ex-strongman champ Pudzianowski in mma.

"Weird dots", sounds scary.
Good luck in life Big Tim.

Didn't feel that long ago he was giving Nog a good run for his money...Tim should never left the UFC. He was never the same after the Fedor loss & trading with Mercer was a stupid idea...it really helped people shit on his career even more.

That said, an unappreciated HW. He absolutely mauled Ricco when Ricco was coming off a lengthy win streak with a win over Randy. Tim had a crazy streak and had a ko/tko rate of like 90% with solid wins over Mike Whitehead, Jason Lambert, Correira & Rothwell.

Best of luck with your future endeavours Tim, I hope he can lose the weight though even though he is retired because fuck that is a lot of strain on your body..

I think Tim will be fine You all seem to forget Bob Sapp has been 370 and on ummm supplements for ever. Lets just hope Tim starts to take care of himself

Best of luck to Tim, never gets the credit or due he's deserved. Much like Tito, those guys just got brushed aside once the sport blew up.

I really wanted to see Brock vs Tim! seriously

You and me both

11609.jpg

Back