Follow up thread: help a moron clean up laptop

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by OverCoronavirus Pressure, Jan 14, 2020.

1. OverCoronavirus Pressure Mayberry = War Room, WR = OT. Shit. Banned

5/7/89 Grateful Dead show, Frost amphitheatre
    With help from everybody in my last thread, I bought a Lenovo thinkpad laptop.

It didn't work out.

I sent it back and decided to clean up the old Toshiba laptop using Google guidance.

I updated everything (6 hours). I've been cleaning with the disc cleaner utility and defrag/optimize regularly.

I hit Win+R and delete files under temp, %temp%, and prefetch.

Now I go to task manager and there are a shit ton of processes running.

I don't know enough to kill most. I don't need most. It's what I think is really slowing the laptop down. I only use it for media storage and playing.

Anyone with great advice on this, help would be helpful.

@JoshTehV
    @GSP_37
    @Headkicktoleg
    @Chesten_Hesten
    @Madmick

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  2. rob mafia Red Belt

assuming it's windows, go in the task manager and disable everything in startup that's not necessary.

alternatively/if that gives problems, go into "msconfig" and selective startup.

that said, the bare minimum for windows 10 still seems to be a lot of processes. how much ram does it have/is being used? "virtual memory" may or may not help out a little.

3. OverCoronavirus Pressure Mayberry = War Room, WR = OT. Shit. Banned

5/7/89 Grateful Dead show, Frost amphitheatre
    It has 8.00 GB installed RAM.
    On the local drive, the capacity is 930 GB, with 529 GB free.

I would love to ditch all the programs I don't use possible.
    I run chrome for internet, use media players, and that's it.

I go into task manager and it's a mess of shit I don't know whether to ditch or keep.

4. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

Didn't I tell you to go to Task Manager and sort the processes by which is using the most CPU? Right click the menu up there somewhere and get it to display another column showing Process ID. For the processes that are using up your CPU, note the Process ID.

Go to the thing where you get the DOS command prompt. Type without quotes "tasklist /svc /fo list" and press enter. Find the Process ID (PID) that's being a resource hog and note the filename of that process. Go into Windows Explorer and search for that file and see what folder it's in to have an idea what it is. See if it's something important or something you think you use or need. If not, maybe uninstall that and/or uncheck it from msconfig start menu where it lists all sorts of stuff that auto-launches upon start up. You might want to also google the filename and see what others think like if it's a well known shit that doesn't help you.

There was this shit that would hog my resources, and I did the above and ended up disabling those services and that shit ain't slowing me down no more. I had to re-disable them later after some update re-enabled them. Keep a log in Notepad with dates and descriptions of what you did so you have a record and can undo something later. Notepad lets you CTRL+F to find, so use consistent keywords in your notes.