Follow these rules?

infamous mattyd

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Found these on the Barra Website...

DOJO ETIQUETE

Because of its original usage, a dojo became known as a place of "enlightenment"; the ultimate goal of Zen Buddhism. When practitioners of Budo, such as the Samurai, adopted it for use, it became known as a place where the "Do", or the Way of "Bu", could be practiced. From earliest times, we can see that a dojo was never merely a gymnasium. It was always a place of very special learning and remains so today.
01. Bow to the center of the mat when you enter.
02. Bow to the centre of the mat when you exit.
03. Address to the instructors as Sir during class.
04. When instructor is teaching keep your posture.
05. Sessions begin and end with a formal bow with students lining up in descending grade order.
06. Do not come on the mat late or leave early without obtaining permission first.
07. Bow to your partner before and after practice.
08. If an outstanding technique is performed, it is customary to bow to the parter as a sign of respect.
09. Talking should be kept to a minimum and all words spoken should be about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
10. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is reserved for sport, personal development and as a last resort of self defence.
11. No shoes, food or drink on the mat.
12. A dirty kimono is a sign of disrespect and should be washed at least weekly.
13. Keep finger and toe nails short for everyones safety.

No way in hell I'd ever want to put up with that shit when going to train.

Gracie Barra Orlando does most of that stuff, bowing before and after class, bowing to each other, and stuff.

WIth 10+ Gracie Barra black belts though, what the heck do they know about BJJ?

tequilaman said:
Gracie Barra Orlando does most of that stuff, bowing before and after class, bowing to each other, and stuff.

WIth 10+ Gracie Barra black belts though, what the heck do they know about BJJ?
haha indeed

Dude, I'm not saying they don't know anything ... I'm just saying that if I wanted to do that shit, I would be doing something more to the liking of Karate.

I don't need to bow at the mats to do Jiu Jitsu.

we do all of those things at Gracie Miami, i see nothing wrong with it.
a little respect for the dojo doesnt hurt. its just about respect and keeping the enviorment focused on jiujitsu. i go to other schools and people are talking about all kinds of bullshit on the mat , walk off and on whenever they want, walk around with thier gis open. never ever bow to the instructor
im glad i train where i do, the Valentes are very very old school.
bow when stepping on the mat . etc
th one thing that i do, that no one else does, is turn around from your instructor and grand master when fixing your gi. ive trained different styles so know the ettiqute.
bottom line these things dont mean much to people who dont have a deep appreciation for martial arts. no its not gona make you a better fighter but it could make you a better person.

now KATA, now there is some bullshit, showing respect for the place i train is no skin off my back

triso said:
I don't need to bow at the mats to do Jiu Jitsu.

My instructer (9th Degree BB in BJJ) says the matts are too expensive and we're not allowed to bow to them, lol.

Edited because I must have been slow when I posed this.

lol@ Eric O. Those mats are too good for you man.

The only rules from there that I prefer are 11, 12, 13.

10th degree BB ? you study with Helio ?

All those things where imported from japan. I don't think they suit occidental cultures very well. We have other ways of showing respect (shaking hands for example). We just bow at the beginning and the end of class, that's all.

i too would like to know who this 10th degree bb is, who did he get it from ?

teh source ?

1. Never ever do that. It goes against the rules of my school(No titles, no rituals, no hierarchy).
2. Never.
3. Never.
4: Never.
5: Never.
6: Encouraged, but no-one is punished for showing up late or having to leave early. We all have lives and shit too....My teacher would rather have someone show up for half a class than skip class entirely.
7: Never.
8: Not bowing, but lots of hooting, hollering and shouts of "you da man!!!" :)
9: Not enforced, but tends to happen since everybody is stoked about the sport. If you have to ENFORCE a rule like that then you have motivation problems at your school.
10: Of course. I really don

Yes

Yes

No, we call him by first name.

Yes, would be disrespectful if I let my head hanging.

05. Sessions begin and end with a formal bow with students lining up in descending grade order.

Yes, we sit down before in descending grade order and instructor talks about the lesson then we bow and stand up in descending grade order again.

06. Do not come on the mat late or leave early without obtaining permission first.

Yes... this is also an insurance problem, if you go out of class without isntructor noticing and pass out or die he got a big problem.

Yes. Bowing shows that every injury that may happen is not advertent.

08. If an outstanding technique is performed, it is customary to bow to the parter as a sign of respect.

We usually say "whoa nice"

09. Talking should be kept to a minimum and all words spoken should be about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

I dont do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but we try to keep chit-chat for afterwards when we drink beer.

10. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is reserved for sport, personal development and as a last resort of self defence.

dunno

Some guys have mat shoes because of feet problem but generally yes.

12. A dirty kimono is a sign of disrespect and should be washed at least weekly.

I wash it after every lesson... I hate stinking Gi's.

Yes it suxx if they rip because you throw somebody or smth.

Darwinist said:
1. Never ever do that. It goes against the rules of my school(No titles, no rituals, no hierarchy).
2. Never.
3. Never.
4: Never.
5: Never.
6: Encouraged, but no-one is punished for showing up late or having to leave early. We all have lives and shit too....My teacher would rather have someone show up for half a class than skip class entirely.
7: Never.
8: Not bowing, but lots of hooting, hollering and shouts of "you da man!!!" :)
9: Not enforced, but tends to happen since everybody is stoked about the sport. If you have to ENFORCE a rule like that then you have motivation problems at your school.
10: Of course. I really don

I usually follow the rules of the instructor out of respect for him. Since I train at many places, the rules can vary quite a bit. But in general:

I don't like doing either of these things. The dojo is an inanimate object. I don't believe it is a symbol of religious significance either. So the dojo doesn't care if you bow to it or not. I only bow out of respect to people and to God. Otherwise degrades myself below material things rather than what is important.

I generally try to do this out of respect to the instructor. No matter what their age or rank is compared to mine, they deserve my attention. Some instructors don't like being called sir, so I try not to call them that (although I have a bad habit of it).

I try my best; however, when I travel 30-60 minutes or more to a dojo I can not always guarentee timeliness. I try to inform them if there is a delay.

I usually go one step further and shake their hand and give verbal encouragement too. Being a good partner makes good partners.

During class, yes. Before and after class, no.

And having fun with your friends!

These are all sensible rules that I try to follow as well.

At my BJJ school, We bow at the beginnning & end of class, shake hands before sparring. Otherwise, its very informal & no big deal if you show up late or leave early. Its not uncommon to have guys working stand-up on the side during technique drills, etc.

I also train at a judo club, which follows most of these rules. Damn, it gets confusing trying to remember if I need to do something. I much prefer the laid-back culture of BJJ.

Darwinist said:
1. Be cool to everyone regardless of belt rank. Both off and on the mats, everyone is equally worthy as a person.
2. Respect the tap.
3. Do something to signify the start of a sparring match. A handshake, high-five, glove touch etc...doesn

Back