Folkjitsu

mattemate

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
My friend and training partner Brandon Gambucci has started a new YouTube channel.

He was an All American in highschool and a highly ranked wrestler at Duke who had his career cut short due to injuries.

He's been training in BJJ for about a year, and is an absolute animal on the mats. Our coach had to promote him to blue belt in about five minutes, as it was embarrassing watching a guy in a white belt wreck purples, give browns fits, and hang with blacks. Even the blue belt feels a bit sandbaggy, but cest la vie. He's a humble guy who is putting in his work, and is doing very well on the competition circuit.

Now, the big point is he's a fantastic teacher. He's been running a wrestling class for us, and everyone has benefitted tremendously.

I'm excited to see him start this channel and can't wait to see all the content.

Enjoy.

Awesome man. I believe i saw his name on the onnit invitational coming up. Should be interesting to watch his style in there.

Nice. Easy to digest wrestling fundamentals for bjj people. You would think this would be a more common concept

Awesome man. I believe i saw his name on the onnit invitational coming up. Should be interesting to watch his style in there.
His head and arm stuff is absurd. It's made my darce defense a lot better. Before we roll I just accept that my neck is gonna be sore for a couple days.

My friend and training partner Brandon Gambucci has started a new YouTube channel.

He was an All American in highschool and a highly ranked wrestler at Duke who had his career cut short due to injuries.

He's been training in BJJ for about a year, and is an absolute animal on the mats. Our coach had to promote him to blue belt in about five minutes, as it was embarrassing watching a guy in a white belt wreck purples, give browns fits, and hang with blacks. Even the blue belt feels a bit sandbaggy, but cest la vie. He's a humble guy who is putting in his work, and is doing very well on the competition circuit.

Now, the big point is he's a fantastic teacher. He's been running a wrestling class for us, and everyone has benefitted tremendously.

I'm excited to see him start this channel and can't wait to see all the content.

Enjoy.

cool stuff does he do any mma stuff?

LOVE that he discusses that your first line of defense is your head.

It seems so elementary, but we become so preoccupied with handfighting and handcontrol being the "first chapter" of every competition.

Plus, since stalling isn't really a thing in JJ, the lesson is very useful.

Can't tell if this is a joke...

I'm going to guess he meant "stalling" isn't a thing in jiu jitsu, as in the stalling rules for jiu jitsu, especially so while standing, are pretty lax (i.e., there's no shot clock). I could also be wrong in my optimistic assumption, but unless you've never seen a single match, you can't possibly think there isn't stalling (especially from standing) in BJJ.

It's a double edged sword; you can abuse the lack of stalling rules pretty well in BJJ (you're not going to give up a point to your opponent for being passively driven out of bounds, for instance), but it also has the biggest potential to be the coolest stand up grappling sport because of how non-existent the rules are when it comes to takedowns. Damn near every grip is legal (gi or no gi), you can clasp your hands anywhere, you can attack upper and lower body, it's like the wild west of stand up. My own personal belief is that the next big "renaissance" we'll see in BJJ, once everyone is bored of leg attacks, is the integration of more stand up tactics that can truly take advantage of the unlimited nature of the rules of BJJ.

Hey guys, Brandon here! Thanks for the shoutout Big Ry. Appreciate all of the enthusiasm! Please let me know if you have any feedback (critical or otherwise) or have any types of things you'd like to see in future content. Thanks again!

I'm going to guess he meant "stalling" isn't a thing in jiu jitsu, as in the stalling rules for jiu jitsu, especially so while standing, are pretty lax (i.e., there's no shot clock). I could also be wrong in my optimistic assumption, but unless you've never seen a single match, you can't possibly think there isn't stalling (especially from standing) in BJJ.

It's a double edged sword; you can abuse the lack of stalling rules pretty well in BJJ (you're not going to give up a point to your opponent for being passively driven out of bounds, for instance), but it also has the biggest potential to be the coolest stand up grappling sport because of how non-existent the rules are when it comes to takedowns. Damn near every grip is legal (gi or no gi), you can clasp your hands anywhere, you can attack upper and lower body, it's like the wild west of stand up. My own personal belief is that the next big "renaissance" we'll see in BJJ, once everyone is bored of leg attacks, is the integration of more stand up tactics that can truly take advantage of the unlimited nature of the rules of BJJ.

We have a guy who've been doing judo for decades (he's been a black belt for 30 years I think) and he still remember the old days when he was able to attack the legs, he was very fond of the fireman carry and he loves BJJ because he's now able to do it again.

Personnally, I think that a little tweak should be made to give the guard passing points if you end up straight into side control. Right now it's a lot of single legs, ankle pics and trips that will only make you end up into the guard or half guard. If people knew that they can manage 5 points if they takedown straight to side control I think that people will put a greater emphasis on the takedown and on quality takedowns that gives you a real advantage in the fight.

But on the other side, people will just pull guard faster.

We have a guy who've been doing judo for decades (he's been a black belt for 30 years I think) and he still remember the old days when he was able to attack the legs, he was very fond of the fireman carry and he loves BJJ because he's now able to do it again.

Personnally, I think that a little tweak should be made to give the guard passing points if you end up straight into side control. Right now it's a lot of single legs, ankle pics and trips that will only make you end up into the guard or half guard. If people knew that they can manage 5 points if they takedown straight to side control I think that people will put a greater emphasis on the takedown and on quality takedowns that gives you a real advantage in the fight.

I totally agree^. Weirdest point thing to me with BJJ is the fact that if you takedown straight to side control you're only awarded two points. To me, you'd think the "passing the guard" from standing would be worth more than just a regular takedown. You're incentivized to take down to the guard so that you can then "pass the guard". Which is strange.

I am a firm believer in the school of thought that says the best guard pass is a takedown which lands you in side control or mount.

O soto gari to kesa gatame, you passed the guard.

Why climb over a defended wall when you can drop it with a trebuchet?

I totally agree^. Weirdest point thing to me with BJJ is the fact that if you takedown straight to side control you're only awarded two points. To me, you'd think the "passing the guard" from standing would be worth more than just a regular takedown. You're incentivized to take down to the guard so that you can then "pass the guard". Which is strange.
The word you're looking for is "stupid", not "strange."

You're not alone. I've always felt points should be awarded for positions, not how you got there. I'm totally fine with reversals being scored and awarding 9 points for a takedown to mount.

Back