Focusing on improving your entire game or one thing at a time....

Hellboy31

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
When I first got back on the mat about 7 months ago, I spent the vast majority of my time working off my back. I never wrestled in highschool so I felt that there was a good chance I'd end up there quite a bit and wanted to work on creating a dangerous guard. I spent about 4-5 months only focusing on guard.... Anytime someone wanted to roll, I would ask to start from my guard. In doing this my guard got much better but a lot of other areas in my game suffered.

The biggest glaring hole I have in my game is that my passsing is shit. My sub defense is decent (for my level) but as far as breaking people's closed guard and passing (technically), I suck.

I also need help on recomposing guard from side control (and mount) and maintaing top control.

My question is, is it better to really just focus on one area of grappling at a time or should I pick two or three things and work on them everyday. I realize a lot of this might be personal opinion but I'd love to hear from some of the more experienced guys on how they improve their game. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Focus on one thing that has a glaring hole in it, but don't forget about everything else.

I think a good split would be around 70/30 for fixing your hole and retaining other knowledge.

Focus on one thing that has a glaring hole in it, but don't forget about everything else.

I think a good split would be around 70/30 for fixing your hole and retaining other knowledge.

Yeah, I like the 70/30 split ratio... I don't want to completely neglect other things that also need help.

I think I need to start drilling more too.. There's something to be said for mind-numbing, boring repitition.

well i've got holes everywhere in my game, so i'm always looking to retain and redrill the basics over and over until they're second nature. so, to answer the question, i'm trying to improve all aspects continuously little by little.

Yeah, I like the 70/30 split ratio... I don't want to completely neglect other things that also need help.

I think I need to start drilling more too.. There's something to be said for mind-numbing, boring repitition.

For the record; 'twas not I who came up with the mindless repetition mantra. HomerPlata was the genius behind that piece of wisdom.

Back