Focus Mit Drills

Gina Submits Me

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm in search of some focus mit techniques/drills. I don't have a school here so just I'm just gonna have my buddy hold for me and teach him the strikes as I go along so it's not just me wailing on him. Whenever I do it I usually throw like jabs, hooks, crosses, elbows, and knees. Any suggestions for drills that would gas me? Suggestions in general?

Thanks in advance.

You could keep making crappy boxing threads in the WEC forum...

But to answer your question, your not going to learn technique on your own, so just do focus mitt drills for the conditioning aspect of it. You could do 30 second punch out drills, tabata sprints on the focus mitts or heavy bag, etc.

I made crappy boxing threads in WEC? Or A boxing thread in the WEC?

Technique isn't a big deal for me, I have a majority of the techniques down, at least basics. Of course it wont be perfect, but I don't have much of an option for boxing or any other training right now.

What do you mean 30 second punch out drills? Tabata sprints? Not sure what you mean by those, never done anything by those names. I also want to work with the clinch a little bit, I never got quite comfortable with it. What I'm worried most about is my inexperienced partner either getting lost or not know what to throw, but he's a smart guy so I'm hoping he can pick it up quick. I plan on doing this last so when I go, I wanna go hard and leave it all out there.

I made crappy boxing threads in WEC? Or A boxing thread in the WEC?.

Yep. I see 'em even if you delete 'em.

Technique isn't a big deal for me, I have a majority of the techniques down, at least basics. Of course it wont be perfect, but I don't have much of an option for boxing or any other training right now.
What do you mean 30 second punch out drills? Tabata sprints? Not sure what you mean by those, never done anything by those names. What I'm worried most about is my inexperienced partner either getting lost or not know what to throw, but he's a smart guy so I'm hoping he can pick it up quick. I plan on doing this last so when I go, I wanna go hard and leave it all out there.

Punch Out Drills - You can do them with focus mitts too, just make sure that your partner is meeting your punches with the mitts.
YouTube - Heavy Bag Drills - RossTraining.com

Tabata is a training method where your work to rest ratio is 2:1. To apply that to focus mitts, you can do punch out drills like in the above video for 30 seconds, then rest 15 seconds, then work 30 seconds, etc.

Ok cool thanks a ton. I gotta get some wraps too (I use the Fairtex MMA gloves), any suggestions?

My suggestion is you get a reputable technique DVD and use that to practice your technique. Your technique is never 'good enough' and you should always practice it, unless you are fine with being a shit fighter.

Conditioning on the mitts, just do a normal round then last 30 just do jab cross sprint. Keep things simple so that you can go as hard as possible.

So you have all the Boxing techniques down and do not understand why you shouldnt train much with mma gloves. Right.

So you have all the Boxing techniques down and do not understand why you shouldnt train much with mma gloves. Right.

yeah no sense in explaining something SO basic to someone who already has technique.

yeah no sense in explaining something SO basic to someone who already has technique.

I never said my technique was perfect. It will improve with time but right now I don't have the option of training with anybody other than buddies looking keep in shape, so to keep up with it I'd like to just do it when I have time. If that's a crime then I'm not sure what you want from me. Whenever I trained MMA, we did bag work/stand up work with gloves on. We'd also wear for them about half a class or so and then at the end go right into the gasser exercises. So are you saying to go with some boxing gloves and pads?

I really appreciate the help Sherdog has given me, like I said training is really hard to do now and I wanna keep moving and keep working on stuff even if it's little, but the attitude drives me crazy. If you need to talk down to me I ask just please don't bother posting. I do this for fun and to keep in shape and it's really something I like, I wont understand everything like it's clear and cut.

Bas Rutten's CDs.

They give you a load of combinations, you work to a good pace and the instructional DVD isn't too shabby (although he doesn't really focus on technique too much as its a conditioning tool, not an instructional).

Theres a thread about it somewhere, great way to keep in shape if you can't get to a proper gym.

So are you saying to go with some boxing gloves and pads?

Yes that is what they are saying. Boxing gloves provide more protection for your hands. Nothing will end your training faster than injuring your hands. Also, if you ever do any sparring you won't want to use MMA gloves as aside from the chance of injuring yourself, they also increase the chance of injuring your training partner.

I never said my technique was perfect. It will improve with time but right now I don't have the option of training with anybody other than buddies looking keep in shape, so to keep up with it I'd like to just do it when I have time. If that's a crime then I'm not sure what you want from me. Whenever I trained MMA, we did bag work/stand up work with gloves on. We'd also wear for them about half a class or so and then at the end go right into the gasser exercises. So are you saying to go with some boxing gloves and pads?

I really appreciate the help Sherdog has given me, like I said training is really hard to do now and I wanna keep moving and keep working on stuff even if it's little, but the attitude drives me crazy. If you need to talk down to me I ask just please don't bother posting. I do this for fun and to keep in shape and it's really something I like, I wont understand everything like it's clear and cut.

aiight my bad i just saw your profile and you had 700 posts thought you had been around for a minute and just didnt want any real advice.
Yeah man standard for most people i think that train in ANY kind of striking would be to wear hand wraps (always) and use 16oz gloves for most all drills, sparring etc....with the pads and things ya know. Now im finding that my distance and range cna get a little skewed so i like to throw in a LITTLE pad work or bag w/MMA gloves now and then to keep me tuned in. Most MMA gyms will dress out (head gear,etc...) and go at with MMA gloves now and then but most times its still 16oz gloves...just so you know most my experience is coming from Japan but i think it seems to be pretty universal.
So to keep it simple until you get to the point where you want to compete or think about competing and especially since you;re looking at a fitness type thing now nothing will work your stamina like wraps and 16s ;)

is your goal to be a good fighter, or to get a workout?

if you want to compete, you need to be trained by someone who knows how to train fighters, IE not yourself. would you hire someone to train you if they have not and do not know how to fight? that's what you're doing if you train under yourself.

if you want only the cardio, go for the bas rutten tapes and get swinging.

Fight_Song,

MMA is something of great interest of mine. But right now, financially and time-wise it's just not possible. I know if I wanna get better I need to be under supervision. I have been doing martial arts throughout my life, so I have a pretty good idea for technique. Is it perfect? No. But for now I wanna just lose some pounds to get into pool shape and then when I do get some time my cardio will be there and I can continue training MMA, Taekwondo, judo, whatever art I can do at the time.

I will definitely check out the Bas tapes. How about the gloves above though, good, bad, indifferent? Suggestions?

now the mitts are a tough one...everyone likes different. I have the Ringside classic Panther mitts and i like them but you will get a huge variety of answeres here.
Fairtex always puts out quality shit so i'm sure those are pretty tight I just cant tell you 100% because i've never actually used them. I have a pair of the rival nano punches too but those are more of a traveler or prefight mitt.
The windy bag gloves are good but i really honestly think you should just go with a pair of 16ozs...,although my trainer would smack me for saying that because he says the bag gloves (like your first link) are what people should start with because you can't really use bad form with those or your wrists and kncukles will pay the toll. I prefer 16s though just you can get a lil sloppy so you need to be aware of that but you're stamina will be there and you can use them for sparring too in case you get to that level ;)
Are you planning on doing kicks with the mitts too or no?
If you ARE going to do some kicking you want the one you looked at but if you and your training partner are just going after punches you dont need the elongated ones they are just harder to use for beginners.
Just my .02

I'd wanna do kicking but I'd need a shield for that I think. I've been doing Taekwondo for 8 years so all my power is in my legs lol, when I get warmed up and get into a rhythm I kick like a mule.

I will say this: when I punch sometimes I roll my wrist on accident, usually when I'm gassed.

I guess I'll go make a quick post in Gear,

Back