1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Foam Roll + Static Stretching

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by zere0wn, Aug 5, 2010.

1. zere0wn

zere0wn Green Belt

So I've been reading lately about how foam rolling and static stretching work best in combination. I know foam rolling is popular around here....

1) Who utilizes both together?

2) Anyone got any good routines for this? I worked up a decent one today based on the foam rolling out of maximum strength (Cressey's book) and different static stretches I picked up. Felt great afterwards (as usual for foam rolling)

How I do it: set my interval timer to 50 seconds, roll the area for 50 seconds slowly, stopping on any pain until the pain is significantly reduced. On the beep I get up and move into whatever stretch for that area and hold until the next beep.

3) How do you guys decide which areas to foam roll? The routine out of max strength hits most the major hot spots then I just added in some areas that feel tender when I use some myofascial release on them (such as the muscle on top of the forearm when typing...).

4) Frequency per week? I try to foam roll 3 times per week, and will continue the same frequency with static stretching added in. I never do it before exercise because it seems to relax me. But if there is a TV program I wanna see (such as sportscenter on the daily). I get my timer and foam roller out and get it done. At night or in mornings to kinda wake up.

2. joshetc

joshetc butthole hurts from teh gay

to be honest, I never foam roll. I bought a pvc pipe a couple months ago and I've used it a few times but I don't know if it really helped. It is also pretty damn hard so maybe that makes it harder to use it as intended.

3. PowerHungry

PowerHungry Oh yeah!

4. zere0wn

zere0wn Green Belt

Yea I've definitely heard of it being possible to start with too hard of an implement.

5. zere0wn

zere0wn Green Belt

I've read this before and I got a few things from it, but unless I missed it, it doesn't address static stretching along with foam rolling or how to pick which muscles to do. It has how to do every major muscle, but this would take forever!

6. rckvl

rckvl Blue Belt

Where did you get it? I don't feel like buying a 10 ft section of it from home depot.

7. Blenderate

Blenderate Yellow Belt

My local Home Depot had a rack of them conveniently cut into 2' pieces.

8. joshetc

joshetc butthole hurts from teh gay

home depot had them precut, mines like 2 ft long.. it was like $5. I picked it up on a whim when I was there needing a key cut.

9. skreenaim

skreenaim White Belt

I combine rolling with static stretching once or twice a week. I've seen some pretty huge gains in flexibility, and range of motion, especially cold range of motion. The experts consider foam rolling and static stretching 'active recovery techniques' but I have to disagree. If you are seriously stretching/rolling breaking up scar tissue and improving range its definately a hit to the body, and requires its own recovery from.
    I also add some light rolling before training, but only as a warm-up/hello to body parts.

10. rckvl

rckvl Blue Belt

Nice, thanks.

11. superking

superking Poet — Traveler — Soldier of Fortune

Unless the foam roller no longer gives you enough resistance, I wouldn't use PVC. PVC hurts like hell for those who haven't been doing Self-Myofascial Release regularly and for a while.

I roll myself out every night. I use my foam roller first, then I'll move on to the PVC. If I feel like it, I'll do some basic static stretching. I don't feel it's really needed most of the time though.

And, as for picking what muscle groups to work... I ALWAYS roll out my legs, butt muscles, and lower back. I'll do the butt and hamstrings first, then my calves. One leg at a time. Then I'll move on to my lower back.

After that I do my quads, and then the outer and inner thighs.

12. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

I used to static stretch religiously. It definitely helped my flexibility, but I also think it was counterproductive to resting more. I don't stretch (besides warming up) or foam roll at all now, and I honestly feel better than ever.

13. ssdd

ssdd Purple Belt

I do the Agile 8 from Defrancos a few times a week. Foam roll adductors, IT band, and glutes. Static stretch aducters, and a few other dynamic stretches. I dont really foam roll anything else unless my back or QL is sore or tight. Just google it. I always stretch after my MT and BJJ classes, 3 days a week.