FN 170 PBP Lee vs Olivera

Did anyone else thing Do Bronx was weird in round two? He was landing a lot of strikes and hurt Lee but then he was just waiting, it seemed like of he just turned it up a little he would have finished it on the feet but he would hit and wait and hit and wait.

I think Bronx struggles with someone who pressures back, Conor, Justin, Felder and Ferguson would all beat him. I think he beats Dustin and Hooker.

It would be interesting to see what he could against Khabib.

Agreed on the mental block. Before the fight I assumed he had worked through some of the issues but the guy has an ego issue.
Gotta be one of the most unprofessional fighters I've seen. Botched his weight cut knowing 155 is hard for him to make, tries to fake tap or pretend he didn't.
Then during his interview he wouldn't even give credit to Olivera when asked about the finish he said something like "Yeah I choked myself out".
As impressive as that would be no Charles choked him out and his ego will keep putting him in situations to lose fights.
Valid points. However as others have mentioned, he may not have realised he tapped, and thats why he kept fighting. We´ve seen so many fighters continue fighting after the fight is over. I don´t know how this works, but it does sound like it could make sense that you´re so in the moment, and if you have gone out for just a split sec, that you would keep on fighting. It´s definitely not easy to be a fighter as you get bashed so easily.
I can see the point about Charles, not getting credit, but again look at it from Lee´s perspective - he probably feels he was the one who did it to himself. He did not listen to his corner, he didnt follow the gameplan, and he made the mistake. I think its the mentality that you´re in control, you control the outcome. That you can change. You can fix and improve. He obviously knows Charles choked him out - and I definitely get what you´re saying, about lack of credit and ego, yet we´re so fast to just bash on fighters how they should act and what they should say and do yet so many "fans" act like complete immature babies. I think its important to look at this from more perspectives, before just concluding that in this case it´s just his ego and he doesn´t wanna give credit etc. I definitely think for anyone ego is something that needs to be checked, and Lee has struggled with that for sure. And not making the cut is not acceptable whatsoever definitely agree.
It sounds pretty dumb that he said himself that he decided to switch up the gameplan into the third, just as dumb as Cormier vs Stipe when he fell in love with tagging his face.
I think from a bettor perspective - fight iq is one of the most vital aspects to cap, fight iq and the predictability that you know what you get and not some on/off totally random crap from a fighter.
Charles on the other hand now, he looks very very promising.

Valid points. However as others have mentioned, he may not have realised he tapped, and thats why he kept fighting. We´ve seen so many fighters continue fighting after the fight is over. I don´t know how this works, but it does sound like it could make sense that you´re so in the moment, and if you have gone out for just a split sec, that you would keep on fighting. It´s definitely not easy to be a fighter as you get bashed so easily.
I can see the point about Charles, not getting credit, but again look at it from Lee´s perspective - he probably feels he was the one who did it to himself. He did not listen to his corner, he didnt follow the gameplan, and he made the mistake. I think its the mentality that you´re in control, you control the outcome. That you can change. You can fix and improve. He obviously knows Charles choked him out - and I definitely get what you´re saying, about lack of credit and ego, yet we´re so fast to just bash on fighters how they should act and what they should say and do yet so many "fans" act like complete immature babies. I think its important to look at this from more perspectives, before just concluding that in this case it´s just his ego and he doesn´t wanna give credit etc. I definitely think for anyone ego is something that needs to be checked, and Lee has struggled with that for sure. And not making the cut is not acceptable whatsoever definitely agree.
It sounds pretty dumb that he said himself that he decided to switch up the gameplan into the third, just as dumb as Cormier vs Stipe when he fell in love with tagging his face.
I think from a bettor perspective - fight iq is one of the most vital aspects to cap, fight iq and the predictability that you know what you get and not some on/off totally random crap from a fighter.
Charles on the other hand now, he looks very very promising.
I might be a little harsh on him but his mentality always seems to betray him. You make a good point about fight IQ I counted too much on improvements and not past performances here.
Lee doesn't seem to handle loses very well and in my opinion consistently underestimates his opponents.
Even after losing to Al once he acted like he was going to just run through him because he was just "the same old Al" never seeming to credit him for the first fight.
Even here for one of the media face offs with Charles Lee wore a shirt that said somthing like "why so jealous" in portuguese.
Just makes him look like goof in hindsight when he claims to have been under prepared yet he had time away from training to find/make a satirical
t-shirt to mock his opponent.
Similar thing looking past the RDA fight he burned himself out trying to manhandle Dos Anjos and then basically gave up when he gassed.
I capped this fight lazily so I can't be too harsh I just thought that looked like regression in alot of ways for Lee.
He reminds me a bit of Anthony Pettis very skilled and well rounded but both play a good hammer and not nail.
I know this is just a fans opinion it wasn't me getting choked but it seemed like a fast tap. He doesn't seem to handle adversity well and almost seems to shutdown when the fight gets harder than he expects. Huge red flag for betting him moving forward I'm my opinion.
Hope to see the guy do well but I don't think he his head is in the right place to be a top contender.
Props to Olivera his BJJ looked fantastic, thought he had that early calf slicer locked in.
Personally I think it would have served Lee to commend Olivera's skill and talk about moving forward. I could understand his frustration but saying stuff like "I choked myself out" and "It might be a while before you see me again" seems like the wrong attitude to me.
Looking forward to seeing Olivera moving forward I hope the same for Lee but he doesn't seem to be willing to address his weaknesses.

Back