Fmr. Def sec. Mattis allegedly ignored orders from Trump/WH on Iran and North korea

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/defense/441240-mattis-ignored-orders-from-trump-white-house-on-north-korea-iran-report?amp

The president thinks out loud. Do you treat it like an order? Or do you treat it as part of a longer conversation? We treated it as part of a longer conversation," a former senior national security official told The New Yorker.

"We prevented a lot of bad things from happening."

In 2017, following a series of North Korean ballistic missile tests, Trump ordered the Pentagon to begin removing the spouses and children of military personnel from South Korea, where the U.S. military has a base. An administration official told the magazine that "Mattis just ignored" the order.

As Iraq was preparing for parliamentary elections in late 2017, McMaster was worried about any meddling from Iran and asked the Pentagon to give options to counter such a move.

A former McMaster aide said Mattis later sent a Pentagon official to the White House without any options in hand.

Mattis also reportedly prevented Gen. John Nicholson, then head of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, from meeting Trump.

After Bolton replaced McMaster, he asked the Pentagon for multiple options in April 2018, after Syrian President Bashar Assad dropped chemical weapons on civilians in a suburb of Damascus. Mattis gave only one option, a limited strike with cruise missiles, which angered Bolton.

Administration officials told the magazine that Mattis was likely attempting to limit information to Trump so he could not make ill-advised decisions.

"There are a lot of people in the administration who want to limit the president's options because they don't want the president to get anything done," a former senior administration official said.

Good he's a smart man.

Sounds like Mattis did a lot of great work with his tenure there

Another L for Seaside/SotA.

Sounds like Mattis did a lot of great work with his tenure there

I don't know much about Mattis, but the military guys I know seem to have that deep down kind of respect for him. Sort of reverent in substance but irreverent in style.

This reminds me.

We still don't have Secretary of Defense

How long ago did Mattis resign in protest?

This reminds me.

We still don't have Secretary of Defense

How long ago did Mattis resign in protest?

That was 4 months ago.

It's fine though. Trump doesnt need a secdef. Probably would just be a swamp guy anyways. Not that trump only hires swamp people

The dude tried his best to protect our country and it wasn't enough. Thank you for serving General Mattis.

Trump wanted out of the wars if I remember correctly. It’s the asshats like pompeo, kuschner, and Bolton telling him he can’t.

And the fuckin liberal media, telling braindead fuckwits that any removal of troops or deescalation done by trump shows he’s a kremlin agent Putin puppet.

That nonsense has real repercussions.

Who hired Bolton? All of this falls on Drumpf. People incorrectly thought he was an anti establishment paleo con. He's proven to be just another fake populist, establishment neo con.

Who hired Bolton? All of this falls on Drumpf. People incorrectly thought he was an anti establishment paleo con. He's proven to be just another fake populist, establishment neo con.

We both know he was pushed into this.

He met resistance from every powerful republican UNTIL He got rid of bannon and brought in the war hawks.

Makes me sick.

And let’s not both act like the mainstream media didn’t crucify him as a Putin puppet every time he tried to get us out of the wars and when he seemed like he didn’t want more confrontation.

Now we have the most confrontational admin against Russia that we’ve ever seen. All over Facebook shitposts. It’s bizarre and a shame.

Back