Flying Armbar

I like the leg acroos better than shin in the armpit personally.

Well in all honesty, I prefer the Camarillo method of jumping into the triangle position midair and switching to an armbar during/after the fall. I find it's harder to counter than a regular flyin armbar. I still might use the leg across method without a gi though.

So yeah, for your thread I'd say leg across.

Leg across the chest is completely superior.

the only reason the shin one is any good is because it's quicker and easier, but it's also extremely easy to defend and counter. leg across the chest is not.

i love you guys.

we were doing them at practice tonight and some of the taller guys were having trouble with the shinpit way, so i showed them the scissor way.

i like it better too. it's much, much tighter.

i would think that you can lock the shoulder tighter with the shin one, normally with your foot making a hook behind the shoulder

nope. leg across puts their arm way further up into your crotch, and then you can scissor when you hit the ground.

nope. leg across puts their arm way further up into your crotch, and then you can scissor when you hit the ground.

not necessarily, it's important to curl your foot behind his shoulder to help keep his arm in tight. that's not the problem with this attack.

The main problem with the shin one is that 90% of the time you land it (unless you have great acrobatic ability) you land in an already stacked position and with the shin in it's very difficult to use momentum and get the sweep, and it's easily defended and countered from there. depending on the rules we're fighting under I will either pass to north south, or simply throw on a heel hook every time. It's also more difficult to go back to guard after a failed attempt here.

With the leg across all the problems I mentioned above are pretty much gone. The only downside to this is you cannot easily fall back and snap it on like you can with the shin. with this one you really do have to "fly". the other problem is that it's a bit harder to set-up because you do need to be very close with the right angle, or have the right opening to slap it on.

that's probably the best instructional for flying armbars that I've seen, and it wasn't even in english

Hey on a side note, you ever checked out Dave Camarillo's flying attacks? If so, what do you think? I know you're a big triangle guy that's why I'm asking.

Nice youtube clips by the way. You should put some more up. I'm using that triangle defense and that twister counter to the scarf hold a LOT. Thanks!

I have Dave's book, and I love his attacks, but I have a few tricks of my own too that I tend to do a little better with. The first armbar in Aoki's video is my favorite as far as flying armbars go. there's just tons' of options from it depending on the reaction of your opponent. I will probably make a video and post it up when my arms better so I don't have to type it with one arm. Flying Subs are something I've always had a knack for. Probably about 50% of my wins in competition were from flying subs, and I've played with them a lot from a lot of different positions, so I have some pretty good and unique stuff to share.

as far as switching to armbars, omo's, etc off the flying triangle; it's a very solid way to consistantly land flying submissions.

I have Dave's book, and I love his attacks, but I have a few tricks of my own too that I tend to do a little better with. The first armbar in Aoki's video is my favorite as far as flying armbars go. there's just tons' of options from it depending on the reaction of your opponent. I will probably make a video and post it up when my arms better so I don't have to type it with one arm. Flying Subs are something I've always had a knack for. Probably about 50% of my wins in competition were from flying subs, and I've played with them a lot from a lot of different positions, so I have some pretty good and unique stuff to share.

as far as switching to armbars, omo's, etc off the flying triangle; it's a very solid way to consistantly land flying submissions.

Well one more question man. As far as flying triangles in no-gi, assuming I'm using my right leg as the choking leg and the left one as the securing leg, do you always step your left foot into the notch in their right hip and use it as a step to jump off of like Dave C. does? I'm trying this but it's hard without the gi.

With a gi it's fine, because I can counter-balance myself a I elevate through the air, because my grip on their collar supports my weight. In no gi, by rear collar grip is not strong (especially if they're sweating) enough to support me when I start leaning back midway through the jump.

Any tips???

Thanks again man!

Well one more question man. As far as flying triangles in no-gi, assuming I'm using my right leg as the choking leg and the left one as the securing leg, do you always step your left foot into the notch in their right hip and use it as a step to jump off of like Dave C. does? I'm trying this but it's hard without the gi.

With a gi it's fine, because I can counter-balance myself a I elevate through the air, because my grip on their collar supports my weight. In no gi, by rear collar grip is not strong (especially if they're sweating) enough to support me when I start leaning back midway through the jump.

Any tips???

Thanks again man!

very rarely, I usually feel more comfortable launch my hips up directly from the clinch while controlling his head, but gi or no-gi the entry i use depends completely on the grips i have.

thanks. i'll try it!

the problem here is you don't get the same height, so clearing the arm is a bit more of an issue, however with good timing I've found it to be a better entry for my game most of the time.

nice instructional!

lol. notice that all of Aoki's opponents they show at the end are holing their arms after the locks?

Yeah, all Judo based grapplers break your fucking arms whenever they catch you for some reason.

All you need to do is simply this...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c8_FevrLdaw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c8_FevrLdaw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Yeah, all Judo based grapplers break your fucking arms whenever they catch you for some reason.

hey man, if you're gonna armbar, fucking armbar. i was at a tournament where the guy wouldn't tap for a DEEP kimura I had on him. in practice, i'll wait and let people tap, but as far as competition goes...i don't think i need to allow people time to be a tough guy. tap or snap.

hey man, if you're gonna armbar, fucking armbar. i was at a tournament where the guy wouldn't tap for a DEEP kimura I had on him. in practice, i'll wait and let people tap, but as far as competition goes...i don't think i need to allow people time to be a tough guy. tap or snap.

lol, always the judoka

look I've busted arms in competition too, but only in extreme circumstances, and I have video to prove it. I literally pleaded to the kid and the ref first, ofcourse that was the first time I ever had a guy that refused to tap. Now I will bust it, but not until I feel you've had a fair chance to tap. What I won't do is immediately try to break your arm as soon as i get the lock

Back