Fly design change

My premiums seemed wider like mentioned above. I think you would like the 1V1s. I just got another pair today. They are definitely my favorite training glove. They are better for the bag than for sparring in my opinion.

My premiums seemed wider like mentioned above. I think you would like the 1V1s. I just got another pair today. They are definitely my favorite training glove. They are better for the bag than for sparring in my opinion.
Oh that's interesting why do you say that

Damn I really want that old type design for sparring

Oh that's interesting why do you say that

Damn I really want that old type design for sparring
They are a lot more stiff than Winning and Fly and the padding isn't nearly is soft. You could use them for sparring, they would just require some breaking in.

This is a good discussion going on, which perhaps I hope I can help further along.

FLY X (red) from Dec. 2019 and FLY Genuine Leather (stock item in blue and white) from March 2020.

IMG_9426 (1).jpg

IMG_9425 (1).jpg

IMG_9424 (1).JPG

They are a lot more stiff than Winning and Fly and the padding isn't nearly is soft. You could use them for sparring, they would just require some breaking in.
Would the ptes or horse hairs be better for sparring

Yeah see these fly xs and premiums look a lot closer then my fly xs and premiums this is a really good comparison

How is the softness of the padding between the two

The Genuine leather FLY Superlace gloves are quite softer (most notably, I can tell it's much easier to open up my hand to catch/parry shots), but the FLY X are pretty soft as well. This could be due in part due to the synthetic material not giving/flexing as much upon impact as the genuine leather.

If I'm not mistaken, these red FLY X gloves were purchased on the 2nd batch release FLY had on their X-line (their initial release sold out pretty quickly), back when a mini-clip was used on the Knight (cheek protector) headgear.

The Genuine leather FLY Superlace gloves are quite softer (most notably, I can tell it's much easier to open up my hand to catch/parry shots), but the FLY X are pretty soft as well. This could be due in part due to the synthetic material not giving/flexing as much upon impact as the genuine leather.

If I'm not mistaken, these red FLY X gloves were purchased on the 2nd batch release FLY had on their X-line (their initial release sold out pretty quickly), back when a mini-clip was used on the Knight (cheek protector) headgear.
Jesus so they're even softer then my fly x's? Same colour as my premiums too

Wouldn't have any interest in selling them would you

Reactions: CJ1

Hey Tmac!

Couple of questions if you wouldn't mind:

Regarding fly:
Were the people who's flys wore out in a year or two x line or premiums? Also they were the older softer ones not the stiffer new ones?

Regarding 1v1:

How long have you had 1v1s? Which models and what weights?

Hey Tmac!

Couple of questions if you wouldn't mind:

Regarding fly:
Were the people who's flys wore out in a year or two x line or premiums? Also they were the older softer ones not the stiffer new ones?

Regarding 1v1:

How long have you had 1v1s? Which models and what weights?

Hey Bud,

Actually I've heard more about the premiums wearing out than the X-line. As far as I know, it was the older models wearing down. They were the softer model, my guess is they are making them stiffer now to maximize the longevity of the gloves.

As far as 1V1s go, I currently have two pairs, a pair of 12oz and a pair of 10oz. Both the PTE model. I previously had 3 pairs of 16 oz that I sold along with about 20 other gloves.

Thank you for your insights. Yeah that makes sense - increases longevity & makes sense financially in terms of the market size as well (more people hit the bag than spar in total). Man, really hard to justify risking it on the new fly's when winning's proven. I do like a snug fit though. Decisions decisions.

23 pairs of gloves! quite the collection you had man! lol How long did you use the 16oz for? Great that you have the pte's in 10oz and 12oz because those are precisely the sizes I'm interested in! How do they compare in terms of size? How's the protection and feedback on the bag?

I prefer Winning to Fly myself. I've never worn a more comfortable, protective sparring glove. Probably my overall favorite brand with 1V1 being a close second. I used my 16oz PTEs for a few months before I sold them. I would say my 10 and 12 oz gloves are a compact glove but very comfortable. The 10 oz are my go to glove for bags and mitts. I probably have 60-70 rounds in them and they seem to get better and better each time I hit the bag.

I prefer Winning to Fly myself. I've never worn a more comfortable, protective sparring glove. Probably my overall favorite brand with 1V1 being a close second. I used my 16oz PTEs for a few months before I sold them. I would say my 10 and 12 oz gloves are a compact glove but very comfortable. The 10 oz are my go to glove for bags and mitts. I probably have 60-70 rounds in them and they seem to get better and better each time I hit the bag.
Would you say the 12oz ptes would be the best gloves for bags and pads that money could buy. Or would there be a better option

Would you say the 12oz ptes would be the best gloves for bags and pads that money could buy. Or would there be a better option
In my opinion, yes. They provide excellent feedback while also giving you great protection. A lot of people like the horsehair version but I haven't used them. My worry with horsehair gloves is that they tend to break down faster than foam gloves.

In my opinion, yes. They provide excellent feedback while also giving you great protection. A lot of people like the horsehair version but I haven't used them. My worry with horsehair gloves is that they tend to break down faster than foam gloves.
That was my assumption. I'm just wondering if it's worth it. Considering how good my current flys are for bags. If the ptes would be better

Interesting to hear that the 10oz are that great for bag work. Was concerned that 12oz would be as low as I could go as 10oz wouldn't have enough knuckle padding. I don't need or like a ton but I don't want to feel me knuckle if I press on the padding. Tried some winning 10oz. and was surprised that I could do that so easily even for a fight glove. I couldn't with 8oz grants for comparison.

Not exactly on topic but these look really nice for those that appreciate that kind of thing!

Back