Flukes?

SherdogChamp

White Belt
Reaction score
Why is JDS knock out of Cain a fluke?
I see it a lot on this forum, and i don't know why. It seems dumb to me that people would jump to that conclusion and disregard that fighters victory.

I for one, truly believe there is no such thing as a fluke in combat sports. It is not like winning a lottery, or being hit by a car and surviving. Those are all luck, flukes, miracles, etc... whatever you may call it, but JDS knocking out Cain is not. It is not like JDS punched Cain, and right when his fist hit lightning came down and struck Cain causing him to go out. Now that would be a fluke.

JDS is a skillful striker and he landed his punch flush; It wasn't luck. JDS is skillful and Cain(who is also skillful) made a mistake. It is as simple as that. No luck but just the combination of JDS being a good striker and Cain making a mistake. The same goes for GSP vs Serra I. Serra threw a punch and caught GSP coming in. GSP made the mistake of exposing his chin and not guarding, and paid for it that night. It wasn't lucky, but simply, Serra knowing how to throw a punch and GSP's mistake that paid for it. Same goes for the Kampmann vs Alves fight. Alves went for the takedown and got caught by a submission. Again, it was not luck, but Alves mistakenly going for a takedown.

So people, just give these fighters their dues. With that being said, CONGRATULATIONS Cain! Good fight.

Why is JDS knock out of Cain a fluke?
I see it a lot on this forum, and i don't know why. It seems dumb to me that people would jump to that conclusion and disregard that fighters victory.

I for one, truly believe there is no such thing as a fluke in combat sports. It is not like winning a lottery, or being hit by a car and surviving. Those are all luck, flukes, miracles, etc... whatever you may call it, but JDS knocking out Cain is not. It is not like JDS punched Cain, and right when his fist hit lightning came down and struck Cain causing him to go out. Now that would be a fluke.

JDS is a skillful striker and he landed his punch flush; It wasn't luck. JDS is skillful and Cain(who is also skillful) made a mistake. It is as simple as that. No luck but just the combination of JDS being a good striker and Cain making a mistake. The same goes for GSP vs Serra I. Serra threw a punch and caught GSP coming in. GSP made the mistake of exposing his chin and not guarding, and paid for it that night. It wasn't lucky, but simply, Serra knowing how to throw a punch and GSP's mistake that paid for it. Same goes for the Kampmann vs Alves fight. Alves went for the takedown and got caught by a submission. Again, it was not luck, but Alves mistakenly going for a takedown.

So people, just give these fighters their dues. With that being said, CONGRATULATIONS Cain! Good fight.

There are flukes in all sports.

The Cain KO wasn't a fluke.

Not in combat sports; there is no luck in that imo. Only mistakes

AM I to infer that you believe fighters are the only athletes in history that have never been lucky? It's 100% skill, every time?

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but be reasonable.. People get lucky sometimes, to say it's impossible ONLY in combat sports is a bit silly. Most of the time it's not luck, some of the time it is. Sounds like life to me...

Cain was coming from injury, surgery and layoff. JDS landing a hailmary one minute into the fight doesn't mean much.

Today it was proven who the better fighter is.

Cain was coming from injury, surgery and layoff. JDS landing a hailmary one minute into the fight doesn't mean much.

Today it was proven who the better fighter is.

Three excuses for the loss, immediately turned into ''Cain is clearly the better fighter''. Yep, you're one of millions of mindless fanboys who lacks the intelligence to form a rational, objective opinion. So boring...

His knockout in the first fight wasn't a fluke. JDS just couldn't quite connect and gassed, which is a death sentence against a guy like Cain. Velasquez was clearly the better fighter tonight.

This just my opinion, anyways...

AM I to infer that you believe fighters are the only athletes in history that have never been lucky? It's 100% skill, every time?

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but be reasonable.. People get lucky sometimes, to say it's impossible ONLY in combat sports is a bit silly. Most of the time it's not luck, some of the time it is. Sounds like life to me...

No, they can be lucky outside of fights. But when you step inside the ring, it becomes skill that dictates how it will end. Not always a 100% skill, but knowing how to throw a punch and not knowing how can make a big difference. No matter how lucky a guy is, not knowing how to throw a punch will never land a KO. If Serra never knew how to punch, you think he would have caught GSP still? No because it wouldnt have been effective. And, i said it is also the opponents mistake that adds toward their downfall as well.

No, they can be lucky outside of fights. But when you step inside the ring, it becomes skill that dictates how it will end.
You're wrong.

Not always a 100% skill, but knowing how to throw a punch and not knowing how can make a big difference. No matter how lucky a guy is, not knowing how to throw a punch will never land a KO.
You're very wrong..

If Serra never knew how to punch, you think he would have caught GSP still? No because it wouldnt have been effective. And, i said it is also the opponents mistake adds toward their downfall as well.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'm going to stop now, I'm being a bit rude. You have a good night.

You're wrong.

You're very wrong.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

ha...? You say i am wrong, yet you offer no insight as to how i am wrong. Now that is more laughable.

You are essentially saying an average joe, who has never thrown a punch, can knock out Mayweathers with luck alone? LOL

Are you rude? no... Might you have some stupidity? probably... and yes, i will have a good night. Thanks!

Last edited:
ha...? You say i am wrong, yet you offer no insight as to how i am wrong. Now that is more laughable.

Well, in that case...

You have to be an idiot to believe that luck can play a part in ANYTHING EXCEPT AN MMA FIGHT. That shouldn't need to be explained.. unless you're an idiot, in which case it becomes a circular thing that I don't want to be a part of.. which is why I tried to stop this earlier. Have a good one..

Flukes??

These are flukes, you can get them at Bass Pro Shops like Hendricks does..

The knockout wasn't a fluke, he was the better man that night, not tonight though..

090721_cox__004b.jpg

Well, in that case...

You have to be an idiot to believe that luck can play a part in ANYTHING EXCEPT AN MMA FIGHT. That shouldn't need to be explained.. unless you're an idiot, in which case it becomes a circular thing that I don't want to be a part of.. which is why I tried to stop this earlier. Have a good one..

I never said luck can be in anything other than mma; I said i agreed with you to an EXTENT. You see that? the word i just used? extent... you know the meaning right? i hope so.

What is luck? Is it real? No one can explain if it is real or isn't. It can all be a mere coincidence. It is what people believe it to be. Some people do not believe it and some do. Do you consider people who do not believe in luck to be stupid? If that is the case, then people who believe in religion are stupid as well, right? NO. Only idiot is you, who takes an opinionated statement to this extent.

I believe skill overtakes luck. Especially in a sport where one cannot rely on it.

Again, you offer no explanation, but only words. You can't belittle someone you can't match.

Last edited:
Back