Floyd vs Conor in the UFC

J

Julius_Caesar

This is the second thread about this. Made one a while ago but that was when I thought it would never happen. At the moment there's a lot of articles and videos going around. Even Dana White came out and said Floyd had been talking with the UFC about fighting Conor in the Octagon before the first boxing match:

I still doubt it will happen but if it does I still think it makes the most sense under kickboxing rules in a cage with MMA gloves. Conor is a striker so I'm sure he wouldn't mind and I cant see Floyd in a fight where grappling is involved (he would have no chance). The fight will sell like crazy either way.

As I mentioned before the best thing Floyd could do is bring in a few good southpaws. There are loads that would jump to the occasion like Sittichai, Saenchai, Kaew, Petpanomrung, Yod and petrosyan. Also a good English speaking Thai trainer. I've seen guys out in Thailand with no muaythai experience have a muaythai fight after a few months of training and they were not the type of athlete Floyd is. Even now at 40.

Floyd should concentrate more on defending kicks instead of throwing kicks and hours of sparring. Learn how to defend kicks whilst landing his punches. Kinda like the opposite of what most Thai's do in Kickboxing (defend punches whilst throwing kicks). Doing that for a few months who knows what he could accomplish. I know what one on one training with a good Thai trainer can do. Then you add in hours of sparring against some of the best southpaw strikers in the world who make fighters like Conor seem like a novice. It should at least make a stand up fight between those 2 interesting no? What do you guys think?

And I get it. It most likely wont happen but everyone's talking about it so if you're coming on here to bitch and whine because of how stupid you think this all sounds don't waste your time. There's enough talk going around for us to at least have a discussion even if it doesn't end up happening.

Kickboxing with mma gloves is the only way to make a vaguely interesting fight between these two. Floyd would probably get pieced up regardless of how much preparation he did, mma fighters have just way too much experience in kickboxing compared to boxers.

Floyd would probably get pieced up regardless of how much preparation he did, mma fighters have just way too much experience in kickboxing compared to boxers.
Conor for the most part is a boxer. His kicks are not all that compare to the fighters we follow. I've seen boxers go into kickboxing and beat better kickers. I've seen guys with some boxing experience and no muaythai experience train in Thailand for a few months and KO a Thai. Not a good one but still a thai who probably has better kicks than Conor. Its not like Floyd is going in there against sittichai or even a Davit Kiria.

You don't think sparring guys like sittichai and Petrosyan for hours every day wouldn't prepare him for Conor?

Why was my thread moved to the UFC forum if it was about kickboxing?

Probably because it has "UFC" in the title. :p
Yeah I get that but I wanted to hear the opinion of some of the guys in the MuayThai subforum. I feel like in here there will be a lot of biased Conor fans who don't understand kickboxing the way we do.

Yeah I get that but I wanted to hear the opinion of some of the guys in the MuayThai subforum. I feel like in here there will be a lot of biased Conor fans who don't understand kickboxing the way we do.
<{ByeHomer}>

Why was my thread moved to the UFC forum if it was about kickboxing?
Because Floyd, Conner, and the UFC have nothing to do with Kickboxing, and the thread sucks.

I can't take credit for it getting moved though, unfortunately.

Why does the thread suck? There's talk of them fighting and like @AbeRudder said kickboxing is the only way to make it interesting. So I'm confused as to why this idea sucks.
Because it's fantasy. We have a forum for such things it's called The Wasteland.

Because it's fantasy. We have a forum for such things it's called The Wasteland.
Is it really a fantasy tho when there's a lot of talk about them fighting from more than one source? Weren't people calling Floyd vs Conor in a boxing ring a fantasy a few months before their boxing match?

Realistically no one wants to see them box again in a ring and Mayweather will not and can not grapple with him so even if they don't call it kickboxing it'll have to be some kind of striking fight even if it ends up being just boxing but with mma gloves.

Is it really a fantasy tho when there's a lot of talk about them fighting from more than one source? Weren't people calling Floyd vs Conor in a boxing ring a fantasy a few months before their boxing match?

Realistically no one wants to see them box again in a ring and Mayweather will not and can not grapple with him so even if they don't call it kickboxing it'll have to be some kind of striking fight even if it ends up being just boxing but with mma gloves.
Do you not realize that nobody fucking watches Kickboxing?

Who the hell is going to promote this? Who is going to sanction this?

floyd would probably do anything if the money was right.

Do you not realize that nobody fucking watches Kickboxing?

Who the hell is going to promote this? Who is going to sanction this?
Who cares if no one watches kickboxing. They'll be watching for Conor and Floyd.

And the UFC/Mayweather promotions would promote it. It doesn't have to be kickboxing. It could literally be everything used in MMA except the ground game.

Who cares if no one watches kickboxing. They'll be watching for Conor and Floyd.

And the UFC/Mayweather promotions would promote it. It doesn't have to be kickboxing. It could literally be everything used in MMA except the ground game.
They would never do it. Their would be no benefit in promoting a concocted one off sport and guess what, they couldnt. You can't just make up a sport and get sanctioned by an athletic commision. Maybe in another country but not in the states. Again, you are living in a fantasy land and I'm embarrassed for you.

Like that time he fought Manny when they were both at the peaks of their careers? Oh that's right, he waited till Manny slowed down and took a loss. Floyd only does stuff for money when it favors himself. All the talk of fighting MMA is smoke and mirrors and just there to keep people talking about him.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.........we talkin' about the same Floyd???? The one that wouldn't fight Manny until he got old, brutally KO'd and lost to Bradley? There is a reason Floyd is 50-0, and it aint because he fought Golovkin as number 50 and Andre Ward instead of Berto. Are you talking about the Floyd that paid Maidana multiple millions to wear non horse hair gloves and wear specially padded gloves of his choosing?

Floyd only cares about keeping his aura intact, keeping his "oh" in tact and knows that once he loses that, he becomes no different than Rousey or Iron Mike. He is a heel character that built his brand off that '0', not off his country backing him or charisma, and when he loses (like Rousey or Tyson), his brand is gone. Losing in MMA would almost be worse than boxing to his legacy, as people will just remember him as the guy that could not really fight and needed rules to protect him - sad but true.

Back