Floyd Tops Manny and GSP for Best Fighter Award at the ESPY'S

Difference is boxing works in a street fight. Wrestling and BJJ will get your eyes gouged out, nose bitten off, nuts squeezed, ears bitten off and that's just for starters. I don't think a boxer has to worry about any of that.

Boxing works in a street fight, if you suckerpunch your opponent. But then...so would a swift bat upside the head or any other cheap way to start a fight. But watching a fight between two guys where one doesn't even see it coming is not my idea of entertainment.

Nor is watching two men fight where the rules are so restricted it only allows use of your hands and only above the waist.

Find me a sport where it allows finger manipulations, eye gouges, biting and the like, and I'll probably watch it. But for now the UFC is the closest thing you'll get to a street fight.

And you are going to see how radically a fighter needs to alter his gameplan when the rules are much more relaxed. You are not going to see James Toney fight the same way in an MMA match as he does in a boxing ring.

And for good reason...the simple sport of boxing does not encompass what the human body is capable of. Fight's do not start and end with JUST boxing. Which is why I love MMA. Their's more than one way to win...

Street fights where both fighters see the fight coming just have a tendancy to go to the ground...

and obviously MMA fighter wont win against boxers in street fight because they have fucking have lots of bodyguards.

How many street fights on YouTube go to the ground when MMA's most popular fighter was doing them.

Boxing works in a street fight, if you suckerpunch your opponent. But then...so would a swift bat upside the head or any other cheap way to start a fight. But watching a fight between two guys where one doesn't even see it coming is not my idea of entertainment.

Nor is watching two men fight where the rules are so restricted it only allows use of your hands and only above the waist.

Find me a sport where it allows finger manipulations, eye gouges, biting and the like, and I'll probably watch it. But for now the UFC is the closest thing you'll get to a street fight.

And you are going to see how radically a fighter needs to alter his gameplan when the rules are much more relaxed. You are not going to see James Toney fight the same way in an MMA match as he does in a boxing ring.

And for good reason...the simple sport of boxing does not encompass what the human body is capable of. Fight's do not start and end with JUST boxing. Which is why I love MMA. Their's more than one way to win...

Street fights where both fighters see the fight coming just have a tendancy to go to the ground...

Absolute utter nonsense. This is idiotic. Not sure if you've ever seen a boxer get into a fight outside the ring, but those fights ended with boxing. Usually with the other person KO'd. Stop pretending that MMA is somehow reflective of the real world and go back to posting on the MMA boards.

You people make me hate MMA more and more.

Mostly, that’s the marketing falling on the ears of a 14 year old.

MMA allows more sport fighting ranges & talents than boxing rules allow, so athletically it’s more complex, and in terms of drawing more additional ranges of self defense, it’s more complete too, but grappling is applied in MMA without the need to worry about the close range maiming tactics that grappling invites on the street.

So grappling can be applied freely in MMA because of the rules protections that exist there, whereas on the street grappling has a place but has to be applied more sparingly, and because of that, MMA is no closer to a “legal street fight” than boxing is, and in fact, it’s further away when you consider the best approach is always to knock your attacker out quick while staying mobile; if you have the skills to do that.

In real life you should be ready to go to the ground & know some grappling for that of course, but you don’t want to go there as a 1st response by choice, where shanks, bites, eye gouges, glass bottles and other people stomping your pink haired ass is what you’ll get, and in a wide open space where you can back up and pick your shots, a grappler looses advantages that he has in a confined cage anyway.

Somebody tried to sell you something and you bought it.

Real fights can of course be all about grappling, and they can feature half grappling the way MMA fights typically do, but the best approach is always to blow your enemy away and walk; and BJJ or Wrestling will not help you to do that.
If your skills offer you a choice, You only want to wrestle when there’s a ref to watch over things or when you’re with the man you love, sweetie.

This is real fights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ILgKU34GVw

YouTube - Boxer Takes On Four Attackers

Both of those links could have had a guy shoot in. They both decided they wanted to keep it standing, but clearly I saw a chance for a shoot in with both fights.

The one with the 4 attackers is just plain fucking ridiculous. And is a great example of people who don't know how to close the distance on a guy who's backpeddaling and flaing his arms.

Seriously, this is a perfect example of just how insecure MMA fans can be.

This thread was made (in the Boxing Sub-Forum no less) to mark that Floyd won the ESPY Best Fighter Award (an award which used to be called the "Best Boxer Award" prior to 2006. It was changed to "Best Fighter Award" to cash in on the Tapout/Ultimate Fighting crowd).

Sure enough, a couple posts in, MMA Fanboys appear in an attempt to shit on Boxing and turn this another Boxing/MMA thread.

This is why Boxing fans don't like MMA. It's not because of the grappling, rather, it's because of blind MMA Fanboys.

And that is why MMA will always struggle to get respect. Adults tend to look upon it with disdain. The whole "cage fighting!" and "ultimate!" and "real as it gets!" slogans might work great in attracting adolescents and young college males, but it will always have that street-fighting stigma attached to it.

There were rules in UFC 1 that prohibited eye gouging and groin shots. Plus, it was a one-on-one fight. Street fights usually end up being against multiple adversaries.

You've clearly never been in a street fight.
First of all, going to the ground comes with its own risks. Usually, street fights are more than just an one-on-one affair. There's usually multiple assailers and therefore BJJ might not be the best tool to use.
Second, good luck trying to pull guard over concrete ground. Hell, when I took my first BJJ class, even Renzo admitted these limitations about BJJ.

Third, lol at you saying that you could "take a few shots in the nuts". One well placed blow to the groin of an opponent (who's not wearing a cup) is usually enough to induce vomitting. Good luck slapping on that armbar while simultaneously throwing up.

It was supposed to be a boxing match but they changed it to an MMA match several days before the fight.

Tim agreed with Ray to keep it standing and only box with him. However, as soon as the fight started, Tim went back on his word and immediately went for a leg kick.

Face it. One of the most "dominating Heavyweight Champion in the UFC" got completely owned. There is no excuse that you could possibly make for him.

This.

Seriously, reading some of these UFC fanboys' posts lead me to believe that they've never even seen a street fight, let alone actually participated in one.

Great post!
It says it all.

Fight under real no rules like the Spartans or stfu.

What like boxers do? Fu*k off douchebag.

Eye gouging, biting, punching/kicking the nuts of an ultimate fighter would stop him.

It would stop a boxer in his tracks too, what is your point?

It's not about "Ultimate Fighting" there is no such thing...it's called Mixed Martial Arts because (in general) the practicioners are skilled in multiple disciplines.

Boxers are NOT superhuman, untouchable, indestructable killing machines...they are one dimentional fighters. Hell, compared to Muay Thai fighters they are even one dimentional in the world of striking!

I kind of thought the boxer would stick and move till he had room to run. Worked out well for Silva vs Maia. Speaking of being one dimensional, Maia found decent success in the UFC using almost solely BJJ.

Good point! I couldn't believe he had so much success being as one dimentional as he is/was.

This thread was made (in the Boxing Sub-Forum no less) to mark that Floyd won the ESPY Best Fighter Award (an award which used to be called the "Best Boxer Award" prior to 2006. It was changed to "Best Fighter Award" to cash in on the Tapout/Ultimate Fighting crowd).

This is why Boxing fans don't like MMA. It's not because of the grappling, rather, it's because of blind MMA Fanboys.

First of all, going to the ground comes with its own risks. Usually, street fights are more than just an one-on-one affair. There's usually multiple assailers and therefore BJJ might not be the best tool to use.

I saw it on the front page, if you only like boxing then why sign up and post on a MIXED MARTIAL ARTS WEBSITE??

This is why MMA fans don't like boxing fans. It's not because boxing is boring or corrupt it's that boxing fans think boxers are these superhuman, unshakeable killing machines that have no weaknesses.

Well they do have weaknesses, their major one being that once the fight hits the ground (as most street fights do) boxers have no idea what to do.

You boxing fans also don't listen. MMA is just that, and BJJ is just that...when we say MMA, you hear BJJ but it's not the same thing!

If you only train boxing and then you get into a street fight and you get kneed in the face or kicked in the head or choked out...then that's your own fault. You shouldn't put such an invinceable emphasis on boxing.

Here fucknuts. Check this out...

[YT]zWGwBHavbu0[/YT]

Wow! A guy with training beats up guys with no training...I guess that proves your point really well huh?

Stupidity levels just went up a few notches in here.

Both of those links could have had a guy shoot in. They both decided they wanted to keep it standing, but clearly I saw a chance for a shoot in with both fights.

The one with the 4 attackers is just plain fucking ridiculous. And is a great example of people who don't know how to close the distance on a guy who's backpeddaling and flaing his arms.

Flailing??!?! Oh Jesus christ! The guy was clearly a boxer or had that kind of training. He clearly used head movement and showed technique to put 4 guys to sleep. You're a tool.

Wow! A guy with training beats up guys with no training...I guess that proves your point really well huh?

In a street fight the average person has no formal training.

It went up when you insecure ufc fans showed up.

And the point about about hitting someone's nuts?, it will stop anybody.

What like boxers do? Fu*k off douchebag.

It would stop a boxer in his tracks too, what is your point?

It's not about "Ultimate Fighting" there is no such thing...it's called Mixed Martial Arts because (in general) the practicioners are skilled in multiple disciplines.

Boxers are NOT superhuman, untouchable, indestructable killing machines...they are one dimentional fighters. Hell, compared to Muay Thai fighters they are even one dimentional in the world of striking!

Good point! I couldn't believe he had so much success being as one dimentional as he is/was.

I saw it on the front page, if you only like boxing then why sign up and post on a MIXED MARTIAL ARTS WEBSITE??

This is why MMA fans don't like boxing fans. It's not because boxing is boring or corrupt it's that boxing fans think boxers are these superhuman, unshakeable killing machines that have no weaknesses.

Well they do have weaknesses, their major one being that once the fight hits the ground (as most street fights do) boxers have no idea what to do.

You boxing fans also don't listen. MMA is just that, and BJJ is just that...when we say MMA, you hear BJJ but it's not the same thing!

If you only train boxing and then you get into a street fight and you get kneed in the face or kicked in the head or choked out...then that's your own fault. You shouldn't put such an invinceable emphasis on boxing.

The point you retard is that Boxer's are not coming in saying their's is "real fighting", it's a fight SPORT nothing more just like MMA. Too bad you don't realise it and like a 14 year old suckered into the marketing hype think that MMA is somehow a real representation of true NHB fighting (but then again you probably are 14 going by your dumb posts).

GTFO and go dry hump your BJJ partner while calling it "real fighting".

Absolute utter nonsense. This is idiotic. Not sure if you've ever seen a boxer get into a fight outside the ring, but those fights ended with boxing. Usually with the other person KO'd. Stop pretending that MMA is somehow reflective of the real world and go back to posting on the MMA boards.

You people make me hate MMA more and more.

Utter nonsense?

Boxers usually end their fight with a sucker punch. So the fight ends before it starts. But don't tell me fights don't go to the ground.

Here ya go fella...some fo the best boxers ever to lace up the gloves

#10 starts with a sucker punch...'oh joy'

# 9 is between trainers and it ends on the ground...

# 8 has foreign objects being used...that's some 'sweet science' there.

# 7 Just a group brawl

# 6 Muhammid Ali and Joe frazer...two legends, and it ends up on the ground...

# 5 Lennox Lewis, and Rahman...Lewis of all people...and it ends up on the ground...

# 4 Lewis and Tyson, and while it start off like a boxing match you can see that they start to slip and fall at the end...

# 3 Bowe sucker punches...

# 2 no video But in interviews detailing the fight, Tyson was pounding on Mitch while he was...ON THE GROUND...

# 1 was a fucking drop kick of all things.

So there ya go. A list of the top ten boxing brawls featuring some of the biggest names in the sport, and all I see were some sucker punching and allot of wrestling...

Go figure.

You're an idiot. It's becoming more and more clear. :D

What about if a boxer is outnumbered and his BJJ practicing opponents have lots of his homies around...you gonna knock them all out?

The dream scenario you have where your "bjj pacticing opponents" all team up against one boxer is just stupid non sense. I gave you a scenario where a boxer was outnumbered and put guys to sleep. Regardless.. You can go and try to dry hump your "opponents" all you want. Boxers take care of business the manly way. LOL

Utter nonsense?

Boxers usually end their fight with a sucker punch. So the fight ends before it starts. But don't tell me fights don't go to the ground.

Here ya go fella...some fo the best boxers ever to lace up the gloves

#10 starts with a sucker punch...'oh joy'

# 9 is between trainers and it ends on the ground...

# 8 has foreign objects being used...that's some 'sweet science' there.

# 7..............

I wanted to post and say: "When boxing is used in street fights, It ends on the ground. Except it's the guy fighting the boxer that's there." :icon_neut

I got beat to it..

Back