Floyd Patterson

TheRatman

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I been watching some Floyd's Fights and can't believe how much he moved like tyson. I know they had the same trainer in Cus, but i wasn't really aware of how much the me-mick each other other.

Skip to the 2:18 mark and watch Floyd bob and weave.

Yea i feel he's under appreciated. His chin was suspect but come on he was fighting in division he shouldn't have been in. His trilogy with Ingemar Johansson is underrated. Quite possibly the fastest HW ever. Also his fight with George Chuvalo was pretty good.

Yep, same peek-a-boo style.

It's an effective style for athletic, offensive minded fighters that I think should be used more today. David Haye could use it. The guy's style now is shit, poor defense, relies too much on reflexes, crappy jab, hardly sets up hayemakers, holds his left hand too low most of the time, just real shit in my opinion.

Thanks for the info Prod. I just watch Floyd/Imgemar 3 fight and that is a good fight. I need to go back and watch the other 2.

Ratman,
Good post.

Patterson is greatly undervalued in historical retrospect.
He was an amazing fighter who dominated the heavyweights for years.
During his tenure as champion he was also one of the most popular athletes in the world, on par in America with Baseball stars and more popular than they were in Europe, where he had a huge following bolstered by his famous trilogy with Ingo.
He had, for a heavyweight of his modest size, tremendous power to compliment his terrific fundamentals, tenacity and of course, speed that in all heavyweight history is rivaled only by Tunney and Ali, and most of his fights were incredibly exciting.

It

Thanks for the info, Kid. I am just starting to look at the career of Patterson. I didn't know he was that popular.

Haha...Yeah, I know my spelling and grammar need help. I
most of time just let the computer pop in the right word
and go with it. :)

Last edited:
Some reporter: "It's been said that you have been knocked down more than any other champion"
Floyd: "That may be true, but I also got up more than any other champion"

The man had heart. One of my favorite fighters.

Good thread. Patterson is one of my faves to watch on film. Tyson isnt compared to him enough, as I feel that Floyd is the closest comparison that can be made to young (prime) Tyson. The Ingemar Johannsen KO is one of the most brutal Ive ever seen...

Some reporter: "It's been said that you have been knocked down more than any other champion"
Floyd: "That may be true, but I also got up more than any other champion"

The man had heart. One of my favorite fighters.

I agree Cracky for sure.

Also, this was a genuine, to-the-bone stand-up guy who probably never told a fib, did an unkind deed or had a perverted thought in all his life.

Well, he was once in reform school so that may be a bit over the top, but in adulthood Patterson never forgot where he came from and never forgot to be grateful for the blessings of fame and lifelong fortune that the Gods bestowed upon him.

I never once heard a negative thing said about him in Boxing circles (outside of his chin and not fighting the top 4 contenders during his reign of course). By all accounts he was a genuinely nice guy; smart, principled, disciplined, reserved, modest, decent and honest, which places him in very elite company among sports stars and celebrities, and in my book at least, puts him up there as a great in the long history of the sport.

YouTube - ‪Floyd Patterson on his boxing career 1985‬‎

Poor floyd has got to be one of the most forgotten champs ever. i mean in terms of legacy and even with the fans. No one even thinks of him in the historical setting at all. The Liston beatings, the Ali fight, but they forget that he was in some tough fights with top guys, lost controversial decisions and was near the top of the heap for close to twenty years, that's not easy. Even in his second Ali fight he surprised everyone before Ali turned it on and stopped him on a puffy eye. Little guy in an era of the new breed of heavyweights. He came ready for a lot of tough fighters and went the distance with guys like Chuvalo, I think Ellis and many more. Cus D'amato protected him and hurt his legacy. Tyson, ironically, said once "you can't tell Cus anything about Floyd" dismissively meaning he didn't think highly of him and finally "He left Cus and you saw what happened". Seems everyone forgets the special qualities of the fastest hands the division ever saw, the power which could nearly kill a naturally bigger man and the constitution and will to win the title at 21 and regain it after a devestating loss. I wouldn't put him anywhere in the top twenty but i have lots of respect for him.

Here is a old SI article about Floyd if you guys want to check it out. It about his life story told by him. It is long(14 pages), so I am just going to post the link.

0528_large.jpg

The champion tells his own story?the progress of a - 05.28.62 - SI Vault

Yep, same peek-a-boo style.

It's an effective style for athletic, offensive minded fighters that I think should be used more today. David Haye could use it. The guy's style now is shit, poor defense, relies too much on reflexes, crappy jab, hardly sets up hayemakers, holds his left hand too low most of the time, just real shit in my opinion.

Check out this other fighter that used the peek-a-boo style. Jose torres

Make sure yall check out the 1:22 mark as he throws a sick body shot.

Edit, Sorry getting side track but I got post this one too. I never heard of this torres guy but dam he throw some vicious body shots and I love body shots.

Last edited:
Back