Floyd Patterson vs Rocky Marciano

I'm seeing stats that patterson was knocked down anywhere from 16 to 22 times during his career, they always said he held the record for a HW champion being knocked down (Patterson optimistically used to say "if I held the record for going down, i held the one for getting back up too") I'm seeing some say that ezzard charles was put down 30 times but i always heard floyd held that record. Floyd was very protected as champion too, I can't really see a case against Marciano, he wasn't any of the things that someone would need to beat Marciano aside from a very clever boxer. He wasn't big (some say he could have been a middleweight) he could punch really good but Rocky could take a good shot, he wasn't especially courageous, like I said, kind of a headcase. Character wins many fights and it would win this one.

I'm seeing stats that patterson was knocked down anywhere from 16 to 22 times during his career, they always said he held the record for a HW champion being knocked down (Patterson optimistically used to say "if I held the record for going down, i held the one for getting back up too") I'm seeing some say that ezzard charles was put down 30 times but i always heard floyd held that record. Floyd was very protected as champion too, I can't really see a case against Marciano, he wasn't any of the things that someone would need to beat Marciano aside from a very clever boxer. He wasn't big (some say he could have been a middleweight) he could punch really good but Rocky could take a good shot, he wasn't especially courageous, like I said, kind of a headcase. Character wins many fights and it would win this one.
compare floyd's competition to marciano's...big difference.

Lol your experience vs two ATGs.

Its based purely on their individual statistics, reach is reach, height is height, angles are angles.

If you read it properly rather than trying to put words in my mouth so you can be a jackass you'd see I also look at the Patterson vs Liston fight as very similar issues.

Are they "great" enough for you or are comparisons just not allowed according to you?

Patterson and Rocky are practically the same size and both short respective reach.

Liston finishes them both.

Its based purely on their individual statistics, reach is reach, height is height, angles are angles.

If you read it properly rather than trying to put words in my mouth so you can be a jackass you'd see I also look at the Patterson vs Liston fight as very similar issues.

Are they "great" enough for you or are comparisons just not allowed according to you?

Patterson and Rocky are practically the same size and both short respective reach.

Liston finishes them both.

They are not the same fighters, don't have the same game plans, don't have the same conditioning, punching power, footowkr or overall strategy. The thing about boxing is that it's a sport that requires your brain more than anything. It just depends if you can actually do it. Things like reach and height only go so far. You are never, and won't ever have the ability to be at their level and see the game how they saw it. You can analyze the fight on their behalf but basing it off of yours is just kinda silly.

They are not the same fighters, don't have the same game plans, don't have the same conditioning, punching power, footowkr or overall strategy. The thing about boxing is that it's a sport that requires your brain more than anything. It just depends if you can actually do it. Things like reach and height only go so far. You are never, and won't ever have the ability to be at their level and see the game how they saw it. You can analyze the fight on their behalf but basing it off of yours is just kinda silly.

I'm not just comparing it to mine though am I?

I've boxed those stats before, Patterson was even worse off and he had better movement and speed than Rocky.

What I'm saying is in a nutshell Rocky will lose to Liston and I don't see anyway for him to get any advantage.

He's got a reach, power, weight and height disadvantage and he can't even come up and under as both he and Patterson liked to do because Liston wasn't tall enough for that to be overly effective.

Your argument changes none of that, regardless of my own experience as an undefeated amateur.

you got a point with the height, one reason ali didn't really catch patterson clean was because he was so much taller, he looked like a man against a boy at the ring introductions, Patterson was really small. Most of Ali's punches went over his head, tyson, ironically, had the same trouble when he fought the only heavyweight his height, Peekaboo trained Buster Mathis, throwing punches as high as he was used to, Mathis made him miss a lot, and even managed to stun Tyson even though he wasn't a puncher.

I'm not just comparing it to mine though am I?

I've boxed those stats before, Patterson was even worse off and he had better movement and speed than Rocky.

What I'm saying is in a nutshell Rocky will lose to Liston and I don't see anyway for him to get any advantage.

He's got a reach, power, weight and height disadvantage and he can't even come up and under as both he and Patterson liked to do because Liston wasn't tall enough for that to be overly effective.

Your argument changes none of that, regardless of my own experience as an undefeated amateur.

You boxing someone with those "stats" is completely irrelevant.

The thing about Liston is he blitzed through dudes and I think it's pretty safe to say he isn't going to demolish a dude like Marciano. I also don't know if Lison can beat someone where he constantly has them on their back food and never giving them a good angle to hit. Rock has underrated head movement and Liston wasn't the fastest dude. Liston had dynamite in both hands, but I doubt he keeps that dynamite after 6-8 rounds vs Marciano.

underrated skill, which i thought the first time i watched a docu on him. the triple left hook he put harry kid matthews down with is a rarity and unheard of for someone who supposedly is clumsy and had two left feet. I don't know why people can't respect great champions for what they were in their times. It really isn't possible to put a dempsey or johnson in against a modern fighter and even if it were, i don't know if they could even be competitive, that's besides the point for me, i try to look at them with what they had at the time to work with. Jerry Izenberg said something surprising in a recent interview, he said that Joe Louis was greater than Ali, surprising not only because he was there for Ali's whole career but also even most people who couldn't stand Ali thought he was too big, too mobile and had too good a chin to be beaten by Louis, different times, different styles and techniques along with different sized human beings.

The thing about Liston is he blitzed through dudes and I think it's pretty safe to say he isn't going to demolish a dude like Marciano. I also don't know if Lison can beat someone where he constantly has them on their back food and never giving them a good angle to hit. Rock has underrated head movement and Liston wasn't the fastest dude. Liston had dynamite in both hands, but I doubt he keeps that dynamite after 6-8 rounds vs Marciano.
Liston was pretty awesome in some of the footage i've seen, not the strongest guy mentally but he was something, never fulfilled his true potential, like Tyson.

Patterson, not much of a contest.

Rock has a punchers chance, that's it.

Patterson had good head movement.

Liston could easily keep Rocky back with that long reach of his by jabbing to the body and chest rather than the head, then tee off on him.
Rocky is going to take too much punishment trying to get on the inside and even when / if he gets there Liston is stronger.

Also Liston could "demolish Rocky" Rocky never fought any HW's bigger than him with the quality of Liston.

Back