Floyd Patterson -- Greatness

markdellas

White Belt
Reaction score
I am creating a documentary entitled "Greatness" about the life of Floyd Patterson. I am trying to find out if there is buzz to be made.

The

I think he was a great fighter but has been surpassed by many since he was in his prime and fighting his best opponents.

I agree with your assessment of the sort of man he was but don't think it should carry any weight when considering how great he was as a fighter.

I really liked his personality from what I've read and seen. Very humble and respectful guy.

yes! we need more documentaries about some forgotten greats! I would love to watch one about Jersey Joe Walcott but nothing out there.

yes! we need more documentaries about some forgotten greats! I would love to watch one about Jersey Joe Walcott but nothing out there.

There's this piece about the Walcott and Louis fights.

He had a nice jumping left hook. The disguises thing was weird though.

I've wondered why Patterson is so seemingly forgotten and is never included on anyone's list of "great" fighters. He certainly had some amazing accomplishments, the youngest heavyweight champ,first heavyweight to regain the title. Add on to that he was very popular in certain quarters of the country. I remember reading in a Howard Cosell book that Patterson was one of the most popular champions of all time. I really scratched my head after seeing that but I've heard from others it was true. He also fought the cream of the division for the better part of two decades. No one remembers the Chuvalo fight, the fights against guys like Jimmy Ellis and Quarry. Ali also has said that Patterson was the best technical boxer he ever fought. I guess what we can put it down to is just the changing of times, Ali came along and revolutionized what it meant to be a star heavyweight champion and a black athlete. Conforming, conservative types like Floyd were just a part of history then. Floyd probably would have been an all time great had he fought as a middleweight/lightheavyweight. He had the fastest hands in the heavyweight division and great power for his size. If I were you, a docu on him would be centered along a "why isn't he remembered" line than anything else.

He had a nice jumping left hook. The disguises thing was weird though.

oh yeah, you bring up another fascinating aspect to Patterson, his psyche, he was a true neurotic (as was his mentor Cus) who the sportswriters called "Freud" Patterson. Either way, man definitely deserves his props in my opinion.

There's this piece about the Walcott and Louis fights.

ya, I saw that, I love the part where jersey says "you're serious? you can't be serious Joe". about the first decision for Louis. Joe seems a little embittered by the controversy about that fight and the fact that many people thought that he left the ring early because he knew he lost it.

I've wondered why Patterson is so seemingly forgotten and is never included on anyone's list of "great" fighters. He certainly had some amazing accomplishments, the youngest heavyweight champ,first heavyweight to regain the title. Add on to that he was very popular in certain quarters of the country. I remember reading in a Howard Cosell book that Patterson was one of the most popular champions of all time. I really scratched my head after seeing that but I've heard from others it was true. He also fought the cream of the division for the better part of two decades. No one remembers the Chuvalo fight, the fights against guys like Jimmy Ellis and Quarry. Ali also has said that Patterson was the best technical boxer he ever fought. I guess what we can put it down to is just the changing of times, Ali came along and revolutionized what it meant to be a star heavyweight champion and a black athlete. Conforming, conservative types like Floyd were just a part of history then. Floyd probably would have been an all time great had he fought as a middleweight/lightheavyweight. He had the fastest hands in the heavyweight division and great power for his size. If I were you, a docu on him would be centered along a "why isn't he remembered" line than anything else.

Just saying, I've mentioned Tyson unified the titles at a younger age than anyone as an indicator of his greatness and people laughed.

Jerry Quarry and Jimmy Ellis would be forgotten if they fought in any other era aside from the Ali era.

Just saying, I've mentioned Tyson unified the titles at a younger age than anyone as an indicator of his greatness and people laughed.

Jerry Quarry and Jimmy Ellis would be forgotten if they fought in any other era aside from the Ali era.

I don't think Patterson is great because he won the title at 21, but it is a big accomplishment, and he won the title back, both of those are huge accomplishments for the era. It is kind of sad how he's forgotten, but I wouldn't call him a great heavyweight regardless. He was just too small, especially in an era where the big guys suddenly averaged about 20-25 pounds more than they used to. Like I've said, he should have fought at lightheavy or middleweight, his chin wouldn't have been the same liability that it became. I also find it interesting that he never got kayoed after the Liston fights except by Ali and he fought tough guys. Maybe his chin wasn't to blame, some people blamed the peekaboo style because you stand square to your opponent, not a good thing.

He got eclipsed by a perfect and superior clone: Mike Tyson

Back