Floyd or Pacquiao, who ranks higher?

I can't remember the time as much, but wasn't Cotto pretty prime when Floyd beat him? I know he had the losses to Margarito and Pacman, but he beat the crap out of Margarito in the plaster of paris-free rematch right around that time and looked really good IIRC.
ehhh not really. cotto was still really good but he wasn’t in his prime. his prime was at 140 imo. the WBO reign and some of his early welterweight work. margarito & his plaster fists really beat cotto’s prime out of him.

ehhh not really. cotto was still really good but he wasn’t in his prime. his prime was at 140 imo. the WBO reign and some of his early welterweight work. margarito & his plaster fists really beat cotto’s prime out of him.
Still became lineal middleweight champion AFTER Floyd by beating future hall of famer Sergio Martinez(he’s getting in, maybe not the next 2 years but he’s getting in)

Still became lineal middleweight champion AFTER Floyd by beating future hall of famer Sergio Martinez(he’s getting in, maybe not the next 2 years but he’s getting in)
ur damn right he did. cotto is an all time great

Floyd IMO.

Undefeated. No draws. Beat Pacquiao h2h. And holds the advantage in wins vs common opponents (pitched a shutout on the man who would end up putting Pac's lights out).

Pacquiao was/is def the more fan-friendly fighter however.

It's up for debate. Obviously Floyd being "undefeated" is a big deal and he won titles in 5 divisions. However, Pac doing it in 8 divisions is legendary. The fact he just beat Thurman (regardless of whatever Floyd fans want to say about that) is a massive accomplishment. If he beat someone like Spence or Crawford, that would cement him as a top 10 fighter of all time in my opinion.
Pac's "eight divisions" is a marketing job. He never won in the eighth division, and his early titles were due to the fact that he went pro in his mid teens (Mayweather was fighting at a similar weight at the same age, he was just winning accolades as an amateur.)

Mayweather if very clearly ranked ahead of Manny.

I can't remember the time as much, but wasn't Cotto pretty prime when Floyd beat him? I know he had the losses to Margarito and Pacman, but he beat the crap out of Margarito in the plaster of paris-free rematch right around that time and looked really good IIRC.
Manny beat him 2 years earlier and smashed him to bits. Floyd had a really close fight with him.

Floyd IMO.

Undefeated. No draws. Beat Pacquiao h2h. And holds the advantage in wins vs common opponents (pitched a shutout on the man who would end up putting Pac's lights out).

Pacquiao was/is def the more fan-friendly fighter however.

Pac performed better when it comes to common opponents outside of Marquez though. Floyd still ranks higher.

Who ranks higher all time? I say Floyd is the better fighter (more skilled), while Pacquiao is the greater fighter (better resume and accomplishments).

This is how I see it

I was always a Floyd man, but Manny is still fucking going at 40!

He has a few losses, but he has had loads more fights in more weight classes

They are difficult to split, but going by the usual criteria for greatness? Then I think manny should probably rank ahead!

I see it as similar to Duran and Ray Leonard

Imo Ray was still the better boxer, with some of the best wins of all time (however Duran's win over Ray probably eclipses any of Rays)

But with the longevity of Duran and his domination at LW (were many see him as the greatest), I think he ranks higher and I know that is usually the consensus

The draw was a scoring error but Marquez clearly won the majority of the rounds.

Marquez won the second in my opinion and was royally screwed by the judges in the 3rd, hell, that’s the only reason there was a 4th to begin with

I must wwatch the second fight again. I remember thinking that was the only fight I scored for Manny, but it was awfully close

I had Marquez winning 1 and 3 and we all know what what went down in 4!

Can’t ever put Manny above Floyd. They faced head to head when they were ranked number 1 and 2 p4p in their own era and the biggest matchup in boxing history, Floyd won.

Mannys other biggest rival in Marquez had the definitive win in the final fight of their 4 fight series, an opponent Floyd ghosted on the scorecards

Floyd was undefeated and beat more champions in history I believe. It’s pretty simple

You are entitled to your opinion, but you aren't trying to be objective here. Manny has never been a natural WW. Floyd beat Marquez who went up 2 weight classes and Floyd came in over weight on purpose. That's a big reason people don't credit Salido for beating Loma (low blows aside) because he came in much bigger than his opponent. Mayweather struggled with Oscar and Cotto, Manny dusted both. These transitive arguments make no sense.

I don't understand this argument at all. Roy Jones Jr was P4P #1 and got smoked by Tarver twice. Hell, he arguably lost the 1st fight where he "won". I don't think anyone would rank Tarver ahead of Jones.

The fact you say it's "simple" goes to show you have an agenda. There is a reason many boxing analysts and fighters rank Manny above Floyd. It's a matter of opinion sure. I have no problem with someone ranking Floyd above him.

Pac's "eight divisions" is a marketing job. He never won in the eighth division, and his early titles were due to the fact that he went pro in his mid teens (Mayweather was fighting at a similar weight at the same age, he was just winning accolades as an amateur.)

Mayweather if very clearly ranked ahead of Manny.

Manny's 8 divisions is a "marketing job" but Floyd winning a title at 154 is legit because he beat Oscar who beat the winner of Michele Piccirillo vs. Ricardo Mayorga.

Floyd then regained a 154 title against Cotto, who defended against Margarito 1 year after Pac starched him. Then Floyd defended against Canelo at a 152 catch weight.

This shit laughable. I am literally arguing with a guy who is using the "Pac started young" as an argument against him. It's not Manny's fault Floyd was not a pro at that age.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you aren't trying to be objective here. Manny has never been a natural WW. Floyd beat Marquez who went up 2 weight classes and Floyd came in over weight on purpose. That's a big reason people don't credit Salido for beating Loma (low blows aside) because he came in much bigger than his opponent. Mayweather struggled with Oscar and Cotto, Manny dusted both. These transitive arguments make no sense.

I don't understand this argument at all. Roy Jones Jr was P4P #1 and got smoked by Tarver twice. Hell, he arguably lost the 1st fight where he "won". I don't think anyone would rank Tarver ahead of Jones.

The fact you say it's "simple" goes to show you have an agenda. There is a reason many boxing analysts and fighters rank Manny above Floyd. It's a matter of opinion sure. I have no problem with someone ranking Floyd above him.

They met when they were the 2 best boxers in the world and Floyd won, and Floyd had never lost before that nor after than, Manny has.

Floyd fought both Cotto and Oscar at 154, didn't Manny fight them both at 147? Those thank rank Manny above Floyd just hate Floyd for being a horrible human being. Also, remind me, at what weight was it that Marquez KO'd Manny? 147 right? So Marquez clearly was big enough to do that 3 years after facing Floyd when he was 39 years old but wasn't big enough when he was closer to his prime?

Was Tarver undefeated his entire career with world titles in 5 weight classes and beat more champions in the history of boxing? I think that's the difference here.(comparing to Floyd here)

And no one would rank Tarver ahead of Jones, BUT, they certainly are going to use that to rank someone else ahead of Jones. If Roy retires after that first fight I think we have a serious argument about placing him as the GOAT but he didn't and he's fallen so far from where he was.

They met when they were the 2 best boxers in the world and Floyd won, and Floyd had never lost before that nor after than, Manny has.

Floyd fought both Cotto and Oscar at 154, didn't Manny fight them both at 147? Those thank rank Manny above Floyd just hate Floyd for being a horrible human being. Also, remind me, at what weight was it that Marquez KO'd Manny? 147 right? So Marquez clearly was big enough to do that 3 years after facing Floyd when he was 39 years old but wasn't big enough when he was closer to his prime?

Was Tarver undefeated his entire career with world titles in 5 weight classes and beat more champions in the history of boxing? I think that's the difference here.(comparing to Floyd here)

And no one would rank Tarver ahead of Jones, BUT, they certainly are going to use that to rank someone else ahead of Jones. If Roy retires after that first fight I think we have a serious argument about placing him as the GOAT but he didn't and he's fallen so far from where he was.

Floyd is naturally bigger than Manny. It's not an excuse, it just is what it is. Manny is a Lightweight fighting at Welterweight. That is obviously his choice and no one should be punished for that, but I think most people always thought Floyd would beat Manny. If the fight happens in 2009 then sure, maybe it's different. We will never know.

You are grouping everyone together by saying "they just hate Floyd". That is not fair and it's not true at all. Duran ranks above Leonard, Hearns, and Hagler in most peoples minds, and he lost to all 3. There is much more to it than head to head. Manny is the most accomplished boxer of all time in terms of weight divisions.

Once again, there is an argument for both. I just can't stand when people stan fighters and pretend there isn't an argument.

grouping everyone together by saying "they just hate Floyd". That is not fair and it's not true at all. Duran ranks above Leonard, Hearns, and Hagler in most peoples minds, and he lost to all 3.
No he doesnt. Duran was the worst out of those 4. You could almost replace him with Wilfred Benitez as the fourth king of that era

It's up for debate. Obviously Floyd being "undefeated" is a big deal and he won titles in 5 divisions. However, Pac doing it in 8 divisions is legendary. The fact he just beat Thurman (regardless of whatever Floyd fans want to say about that) is a massive accomplishment. If he beat someone like Spence or Crawford, that would cement him as a top 10 fighter of all time in my opinion.

What do Floyd fans say about the Thurman fight?

Back