Floyd Mayweather NY Times article

I'm not even getting into that.. I would think it's obvious that Robinson was better, but you would be surprised at how long debates would go on by floyd's fanatics. I'm merely stating something that is undeniable here. Floyd talks more than he walks... especially in comparison to Sugar Ray who began his career below 130 and fought competitively as high as 175 with maxim who he was beating easily before he fell out because of the ring lights and the extreme heat in the ring. The same Maxim that handed Floyd Patterson his first career loss.

I felt like this writer touched on alot of stuff that most fans are feeling.

mayweather is a boy compared to Sugar Robinson,true legend.

that's one sick highlight of him.

Word, Sugar Rashad doesn't sound right at allllll. If he was worthy of using the nickname sugar, he'd have to say Sugar Shad Evens. But he's not worthy of the name Sugar.

I'm not even getting into that.. I would think it's obvious that Robinson was better, but you would be surprised at how long debates would go on by floyd's fanatics. I'm merely stating something that is undeniable here. Floyd talks more than he walks... especially in comparison to Sugar Ray who began his career below 130 and fought competitively as high as 175 with maxim who he was beating easily before he fell out because of the ring lights and the extreme heat in the ring. The same Maxim that handed Floyd Patterson his first career loss.

Yeah I guess your right. Not smart to get too into it.
I thought the fact that Ray fought everyone and didn't pick and choose like PBF would be enough to think theres a distinction....but whatever. Personally I think its going to be a long time before we get a fighter as good as Robinson again, and I don't think there has been one since.

Well.. Ray did duck Burley..
"Im too good looking to fight Burley"..

but other than that, he didnt duck anyone. Shame he didnt fight Burley though.. would have been epic

you can't blame a man for the era he fought in but mayweather is nowhere close to robinson.
here is some food for thought:

Five men can lay claim to having the best record in boxing history in terms of their accomplishments and quality of opposition. Those men are Harry Greb, Henry Armstrong, Benny Leonard, Muhammad Ali and Ray Robinson.

Robinson amassed a peak professional record of 128-1-2 while winning the welterweight and middleweight titles. The only fighters to surpass Robinson

This leads me to believe the Mayweather Cotto fight will happen even more. If being a huge A list entertainer is Floyd's ultimate goal, he has to realize his standing as a boxer got him there. Sure he doesnt have to clean out the division, but when a head and shoulders above the rest contender like Cotto emerges, it will only secure Floyd's reputation to bring him down.
And if Cotto Margarito goes the way man think it will, Cotto's name will blow up and Mayweather will be confronted with that question too often to move on to anything else.
Cotto just needs to beat Margarito, the fight will happen.

you can't blame a man for the era he fought in but mayweather is nowhere close to robinson.
here is some food for thought:

Five men can lay claim to having the best record in boxing history in terms of their accomplishments and quality of opposition. Those men are Harry Greb, Henry Armstrong, Benny Leonard, Muhammad Ali and Ray Robinson.

Robinson amassed a peak professional record of 128-1-2 while winning the welterweight and middleweight titles. The only fighters to surpass Robinson

One thing I will say, based on the footage I have seen on ray robinson it looks like floyd's defense is better overall.

One thing I will say, based on the footage I have seen on ray robinson it looks like floyd's defense is better overall.

LOL well few people will dispute that. Robinson wasnt a defensive fighter, he was an offensive fighting machine.
Robinson would have literally brutalized Mayweather.

lol, this thread got hijacked so bad.....

Anyways, good read. Liked how the author called out Mayweather afew times.

LOL well few people will dispute that. Robinson wasnt a defensive fighter, he was an offensive fighting machine.
Robinson would have literally brutalized Mayweather.

Plus unlike some other offensive machines, he had both the chin and the athleticism for him to pulloff his style.
I like Mayweather as a fighter, but I cant imagine him sitting in the pocket rolling his shoulders for 12 rounds against a guy who had such a versitile offense. Plus he was a damned good puncher too.

I always thought Rashad was a shitty fighter before. But after he started calling himself Sugar I deeply wished he would loose every fight from then on.

I don't think you can use 'Sugar' when your only stand up move is grabbing the guys left hand and pulling it down so you can throw a straight right.

have you seen the sean salmon ko. that was sweet as sugar

have you seen the sean salmon ko. that was sweet as sugar

Yeah and the absolute highlight of his career, still I think Sugar isn't the proper nickname for him.

This should start a thread of it's own, Mixed Martial Artist's who have stolen boxing's nicknames.

Sam "Hands of stone" Stout

Plus unlike some other offensive machines, he had both the chin and the athleticism for him to pulloff his style.
I like Mayweather as a fighter, but I cant imagine him sitting in the pocket rolling his shoulders for 12 rounds against a guy who had such a versitile offense. Plus he was a damned good puncher too.

He wasnt only an offensive machine. He had a nice balance imo, but often chose to throw caution to the wind and go for blood...

Back