Rumored Floyd Mayweather JR. to train fighters

Awaiting the first "L" of some prospect's career because Floyd tried to reorganize his boxing style to emulate Floyd's

The few videos I've seen, he's mostly working on foot work and fundamentals. I didn't think he had the temperament to be a trainer but the things I've been seeing look promising.

Teofimo Lopez? Wouldn't mind seeing him prep Teo for his fight against Loma. I think Teofimo has the physical talent and skill to make Floyds philly shell work and it would be a good look for Floyd to coach Teo to a victory over Loma. But i'm probably guessing wrong and it'll end up being Boo Boo, Jacobs, or one of the Charlo's.

Watch Floyd become Manny's trainer for a fight with Spence

The few videos I've seen, he's mostly working on foot work and fundamentals. I didn't think he had the temperament to be a trainer but the things I've been seeing look promising.
I think the same. I feel like his ego is too big. A bit like David Haye doesn't make a good boxing manager because instead of promoting his fighter he wants to talk about himself. I could see Floyd doing the same.

I think the same. I feel like his ego is too big. A bit like David Haye doesn't make a good boxing manager because instead of promoting his fighter he wants to talk about himself. I could see Floyd doing the same.

Floyd has definitely done the same before for fighters he was promoting. It seems like Rogers death has had an affect on him. Only time will tell if it's just something he's doing now to pass the time, or if he's genuinely changed.

Those of you who think Floyd will be a full time trainer are on crack. He will, at best, be like Roy Jones Jr. and train when it doesn't conflict with his busy schedule. He WILL NOT be in camp on a full time basis. Now on name value alone, he will get enough people who want to work with him. But the very few top guys he does get, they will not stay with him long. I saw Teofimo listed above. You have a world champ there, a guy that thinks he is the best in the world. Do you honestly think he would put up with Floyd being there some days and some days not? Top guys have routines and stick to strict schedules. Nobody worth a shit is going to tolerate it not being bout them for long.

In most sports, the best players dont make the best coaches.

Bill Russell won like 2 championships while being officially a player-coach

Craig Counsell was a pretty good ball player, too (two rings and a NL MVP), and has been doing a good job as the skipper for the Brewers.

Teofimo Lopez? Wouldn't mind seeing him prep Teo for his fight against Loma. I think Teofimo has the physical talent and skill to make Floyds philly shell work and it would be a good look for Floyd to coach Teo to a victory over Loma. But i'm probably guessing wrong and it'll end up being Boo Boo, Jacobs, or one of the Charlo's.
Teo has some beef with Davis, doubt that will happen. He could use the philly shell work, his is much sloppier compared to Floyd's.

I think Floyd will be a damn good trainer if you ask me. I think he wants to keep Roger's legacy alive in that sense.

Training is a whole different animal and for the sake of the sport, I really hope he ends up being great at this.

Working with Devin Haney.

Not a fan of Haney but -- good for him. Regardless of being a title holder and what he thinks of himself he has very few notable scalps on his record -- and is essentially still a prospect. He's got a lot to learn and lots to prove. Floyd can only make him better.

Back