Floyd Mayweather demonstrates his boxing defensive skills

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Frode Falch, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

2. Frode Falch

and just for fun:

3. Frode Falch

you guys did not like the video or something? :icon_lol:

4. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

I like how relaxed he is talking about his technique, and how simple it is.

It's refreshing to hear real professionals talk about what they do. You always here, "never slip inside the jab" or "hitting back with the hand you blocked with is unrealistic." Maybe you don't, but I've heard all kinds of things like that in the gyms.

At amateur, or, sub amateur level, everybody spends too much time trying to sound clever.

5. Frode Falch

IMO most people doing some wrong by trying to be too textbook in their technique..

be creative. break the rules a bit.. just make sure to still be in control.

6. thugpoet

thugpoet Purple Belt

depends on the textbook you are learning from. Pbf learned from a different play book from most what's normal to do for him isn't text book for us

7. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Floyd also learned a very specific style that has its own integrity. Meaning it has it's own answers for everything. He didn't invent the stuff he does, though he has taken a lot of it beyond his forefathers in practice.

8. snizzar

snizzar Purple Belt

Thanks for the vid Frode.

Is it me or does Floyd seem out of character here? He seems really humble and nice in the video lol. Maybe it's cause this was awhile back? Not gonna even act like I really know the guy though.

9. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Out of "character" is correct. Because that's all "Money May" is.

10. devante

devante Silver Belt

Very good way of putting it..the source or nature of the source directly impacts how you perform..what u learn...its why you have a bunch of guys who box but have obvious variations in tech and philosophy

11. snizzar

snizzar Purple Belt

lol very true

12. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

That's exactly what I was going to say.

Looking at Floyd and saying "he's breaking the rules" isn't exactly true, because his style has different "rules" than another style. People forget that, in boxing, there are lineages and clearly defined styles. Think old-school Kung Fu movies. The Aikido school couldn't justifiably tell Bruce Lee that he was fighting counter-intuitive to the "rules," because Bruce had never learned the "rules" of Aikido.

That being said, Floyd does do a lot more improvised stuff nowadays, though he actually looked a little more textbook against Canelo than I expected him to.

13. SAAMAG

SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

I absolutely love the way FMJ boxes. There's a reason why he's a champion...part of it is because he's smart, part of it is because he trains hard, and part of it is because he's technically sound. He's got a work ethic that very few people have.

Though the way he presents himself...I absolutely hate. If it's fake as I've been told by those who are more in the scene, then he's also a marketing genius as well. That's what makes him a rich champion.

14. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

If you watch videos of him when he's just talking with people, or when there's no future fight lined up, it becomes pretty easy to believe that he's nothing like his press-conference persona. Shit, it warms my heart to hear the things he says to his opponents during and after fights. Right after the fight he told Canelo "You're a good young champion" and hugged him and smiled. He seemed very cool at that point, and that's his opponent he was talking to.

15. Frode Falch

I actually think its would be very hard for a a-hole to go undefeated for 17 years straight.. or even 5 years.

Floyd is probably a humble and cool guy when he is not playing his image.

16. SaiWa

SaiWa Black Belt

definitely agree on this. it's just his fighting persona. gets people in the stadium/seats and increases the amount of PPV sales. it's nothing personal and all business.

one of the biggest trash talkers in boxing (hector camacho) was like that too.. it was all persona... he'd say outlandish shit to get attention but he was a real nice dude supposedly based on what i read.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/8662856/hector-macho-camacho-was-ultimate-survivor

And after he knocked out Leonard, a fight that had a particularly nasty buildup, Camacho showed up at the postfight news conference with his son, who could have been no older than 6, on his lap.

In the middle of the presser, the boy piped up with, "Daddy, you were right. Ray fought like a little sissy."

Camacho, clearly embarrassed, said gently, "No, no, Papi, the fight's over now. We don't say things like that no more."

this is why i don't put any weight in fighters trash talking...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013