Floyd Mayweather, an American Hero

W

warrenchikchik

Is Floyd Mayweather Jr an American hero?
July 4, 6:01 PMFight Sports ExaminerRick Rockwell

Around the world, it's become a common practice to place athletes on pedestals and call them heroes. In this country, the term gets thrown around carelessly and recklessly. Arguably, one of the most popular athletes in this country is Floyd Mayweather Jr. The undefeated boxer has controversially transcended the sport of boxing and has redefined pop culture with his flair for "money". But, is Floyd Jr an American hero? On this country's Independence day, let's examine further:

The case for
Floyd Mayweather Jr is undefeated and arguably the top fighter in Boxing, depending on who you talk to. He also was a highly decorated boxer. Floyd Jr represented his country in the 1996 Olympics bringing home the bronze medal. In addition to his boxing accomplishments, Floyd Jr has branched out into other entertainment channels by performing well on "Dancing with the Stars" and wrestling the Big Show at WWE's WrestleMania 24.

Outside of the ring, Floyd Jr started a foundation simply named after himself. The FMJ foundation has provided numerous charity events and services over the last few years with an emphasis on the youth. Coming up this week, Floyd Jr will be holding a free boxing camp teaching kids boxing drills and exercises. The camp will also teach the kids essential life skills.

We've just read some reasons for those who will say Floyd Mayweather Jr is a hero. Now, let's go over the argument of those that say Floyd is not a hero....

The case against
The first place to start with the case against Floyd Mayweather Jr, is his criminal record. Floyd Mayweather Jr has had several incidents of assaulting others including women. In addition to criminal assault, Floyd Jr has also skipped out on paying taxes. In this country, tax evasion is a serious act and highly frowned upon.
The Mayweathers public smear campaign against Manny Pacquiao will prevent megafight from happening

Floyd's unhealthy obsession with money can't be considered a heroic quality. For the last several years, Floyd has centered his life around how much money he makes, spends, and flaunts. 'Making it rain' was as important to him, if not more, than making a difference in someone's life.

Mayweather Jr has a pension for speaking his mind without a filter or a conscience. Floyd has publicly spewed racially discriminating comments toward Manny Pacquiao, Filipinos, foreign athletes, MMA athletes, and MMA fans.
Lastly, Floyd has stated numerous times that it's all about him. That he lives for making himself happy first. Once again, this doesn't seem to be a heroic characteristic.

Conclusion
What qualities do you think a person should possess to be considered a hero? Does Floyd Mayweather Jr meet those qualities. I've tried to balance this article with arguments for and against Floyd Jr being a hero. I'm going to abstain from commenting. But I look forward to seeing your answers.

quackquack.jpg

No, he's not. Gimme a break with this bullshit.

I hate how people throw the word "Hero" so lightly. Athletes are no heroes.

If any maywetaher is your hero, then you're in big trouble...

I hate how people throw the word "Hero" so lightly. Athletes are no heroes.

I agree, athletes are no heroes. They are there for your entertainment. Obviously Floyd with his villain attitude that he plays up for every fight would never be considered a hero.

Pacman will be a hero when he shuts the mouth of that ass-wipe Mayweather.

Floyd is not a hero, people who have money should have or invest in charities, why not spend your money on something worthwhile. Tax evasion and assault, what a hero.

Floyd ain't no hero for sure. He is however IMO the best boxer and will defeat Pacman.

Pacquiao vs. Mayweather Could Finally be Here in the Fall

With the Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather fight picking up steam once again

Back