flower sweep

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
does anyone here use this I saw it on a video didnt know how affective it was.

Yes it's my best sweep by far. It's also called the pendulum sweep.

That sweep and the crossover/hip heist are definitely my favorites from the closed guard.

There's even a nice flower sweep-like escape from the brabo choke that I saw Gustavo Machado show in a preview of his Great Escapes DVD ... The physics of the flower sweep are impeccable.

the flower sweep aka pendulum sweep is a great sweep and it combines very well with straight armlocks as well.

Honestly, my closed guard sweep game basically revolves around:

hip heist/cross over sweep
scissor sweep and its variations
elevator sweeps
pendulum sweep

and that's really about it. All pretty basic stuff that I've been using for years that still gets the job done.

I guess Im alone on this one. I dont like the sweep, esp. the way it is showed on the video link, b/c you pass up on the armbar setup.

THE PENDULUM SWEEP IS NOT THE FLOWER SWEEP!!!

Flower sweep:

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" flashvars="" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=7890619350561598349&amp;hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="never"></embed>

Pendulum sweep:

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" flashvars="" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-118087518420304773&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

As you can see, they are very different sweeps. The flower sweep is like a windmill where you use misdirection and you block his side so he can't post that way. OTOH the pendulum sweep is like a pendulum and you bring him over top of his base using your leg as a counter weight, then you roll him over his missing support.

As you can see, they are very different sweeps. The flower sweep is like a windmill where you use misdirection and you block his side so he can't post that way. OTOH the pendulum sweep is like a pendulum and you bring him over top of his base using your leg as a counter weight, then you roll him over his missing support.
You must have figured this out since last year? In that post of yours I linked you say the pendulum is sometimes called the flower sweep.
From my blog:

One of my favorite sweeps is the pendulum sweep. Sometimes it is also called a flower sweep. You can use it to set up an armbar or as a combo if he counters the armbar attempt.
  1. Start with closed guard. Cross grab the arm you want to attack (other hand can also go on the wrist or it can grip his elbow or triceps).
  2. Arm-drag your opponent's hand across your body and do a crunch to break his posture. Switch your grips and try to keep his arm controlled through the move.
  3. Open your guard and pivot sideways and scoop under his knee (on his free arm's side). Sometimes your opponent will post on this leg to start a pass. That's ok, just scoop right under it.
  4. At the same time, your leg on that side goes into his armpit while other leg swings straight out for momentum. Hip out a little bit to he gets more off-balance.
  5. Pull with leg scoop and on his arm (so he can't post). Simultaneously, push with your leg in his armpit and throw your pendulum leg straight back along the ground. Your pendulum leg gives you more momentum to turn him and acts as a hinge for your body to rotate around. This moves is a little bit like a break dancer or switching your hips.
  6. Your opponent will fall over shoulder-first you as you roll. Finally, establish mount.
You can finish him off with a number of submissions now. Here a good article and a good video showing a flower/pendulum sweep.

Balto uses the technique very well in this match last year.
Cool though, better to learn the difference between the two sooner rather than later. Thanks.

Yes, I used to think they were the same thing, but I learned differently. I've changed a lot since last year. :)

The Pendulum movement is a big part of my guard game.

Back