Law Florida Restores Right To Vote For Felons

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by deadshot138, Jan 9, 2019.

1. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

they dont track that, so you are gonna have an awfully hard time. thats why i keep asking for a source when its said. because its fake.

Sano likes this.
  2. oldshadow

oldshadow Steel Belt

Do dodge.

From what I can make out you only want certain ex felons and only certain rights.

My question is simple, all ex felons and all right?

3. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

i dont know how i can be any more clear than my first comment.

did making it bigger help? i feel like this doesnt need clarification. what words are you having trouble with?

4. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

WA I think you get it back once your sentence is complete which means it includes Restitution and fine payments.

irish_thug likes this.
  5. Fawlty

Fawlty Yellow Card Yellow Card

For the most part yeah. Exceptions for armed robbery or any crime using a weapon, and probably domestic violence felonies.

HunterSdVa29 likes this.
  6. Gregolian

This must be a state by state thing but in WA being charged with robbery means you used violence or the threat of violence to conduct a theft. We have an "Armed with Deadly Weapon" add on but no actual charge of "armed robbery"

7. HunterSdVa29

HunterSdVa29 Respect, tho Platinum Member

plus the way I see it, Judges used to make heavy use of the 'go to war or go to jail' tactic, and if they were sending essentially criminals as armed representatives of the government.....surely a non violent felon can maintain private ownership right?

8. oldshadow

oldshadow Steel Belt

Why no violent crime? They served their time. Don’t expect they deserve their rights all rights restored.

Why only the rights you want?

Why should a violent ex felon get to vote but not get to buy a gun, rights are rights.

9. Amerikuracana

Amerikuracana Titanium Belt

I think after 10 years, even some crimes that you might relate to a line of work should be forgiven. I agree not all.. But 10 years straight means the person isn't a criminal and shouldn't be treated like one. Pedophilia is a glaring exception.

10. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

that seems reasonable. the only thing i can think of where you should lose voting rights would be election fraud. or some sort of election specific political racketeering.

Limbo Pete and Amerikuracana like this.
  11. Rational Poster

Rational Poster Scourge of the War Room

Then why did a conservative state with a conservative governor vote to restore their rights?

12. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

No, I don't.

I think it says something that when discussing people's rights, some people cannot separate out the issues from their perception of political parties.

Either ex-convicts deserve to get back their right to vote or they don't. What political party might benefit from it is irrelevant to answering that question.

If someone says "Those people shouldn't get the right to vote because they will vote for X political party," then that is exactly what leads to voter suppression in other cases. It's okay to negatively impact that person's voting because I don't like who they might vote for.

Anyone who thinks that way should be ashamed of themselves.

ChainFlow and Limbo Pete like this.
  13. panamaican

I'm fine with parole if it doesn't involve other rights related restrictions. Considering that parolees are being released before the end of their court mandated sentences, I think it's fine to monitor them during that time period.

14. KeepItRealist

KeepItRealist Red Belt

Except I don't believe that to be the case. Wasn't an issue until Democrats in places like Virginia saw a way to get thousands of votes in close races, it was never an issue until then.

And it should be mentioned that felons, the lowest people in our society favor one party heavily. It should say something about that party. Just like it should be an issue that people live on welfare and don't pay taxes also heavily favor one party.

People who don't pay taxes voting to raise it on the people who do. That's the system we have now. The one the Founding Fathers tried in every way to avoid. Universal suffrage would make them weep.

15. panamaican

It's been an issue for years, just because you recently heard about something doesn't mean it's only recently been discussed by others.

But let me run down the variations of this asinine position you've taken.

1) If ex-convicts voted for another party, their voting rights should be restored.
    2) If the political party changed it's platform, the voting rights of ex-convicts should be restored.
    3) Ex-convicts in favor of one party should not be allowed to vote because other ex-convicts will vote for the other party.
    4) Restricting individual voting rights based on group politics is acceptable in a democracy.

<{nope}>

The right to vote isn't dependent on who someone will vote for. It's based on the constitutionally protected right to vote.

As I stated before - anyone who evaluates basic rights through the prism of which political party might benefit should be ashamed of themselves.

deviake and Limbo Pete like this.
  16. KeepItRealist

KeepItRealist Red Belt

Losing certain rights was part of their punishment. Tell me, in the same vein, do you believe felons should be allowed to purchase firearms after serving their sentence? And have all the exact same rights? Sex offenders shouldn't have to be registered and so forth?

Because it's all part of the same thing. If felons have their voting rights restored, then the same line of thinking should mean that they lose no other privileges too.

17. Gregolian

What's the felony?

Chael Sonnen fraud type felony or the dude that got dinged for say Attempting to Elude a pursuing police vehicle cause he was a dumbshit?

Fuck yeah, give them their firearms rights back AFTER their sentence is complete.

Violent PHYSICAL assaults, DV instances, sex cases, Burglary/Robbery cases? I don't want to "blanket no" those as some dude's get dinged fora sex offense by being 19 and having consensual sex with a like 16 year old but generally speaking that's a no for any of the crimes I listed in this paragraph for me.

18. KeepItRealist

KeepItRealist Red Belt

I understand the point you are making, but the issue is that people who committed rights lost their voting rights as part of their punishment, no doubt until the idea that no one should want such people helping to decide who the leaders of government.

This was a universal principle until Democrats got desperate to win these close races and looked and saw that 80-90% of felons favored them and they could pick up thousands of votes by giving criminals the right to vote. Says a lot about their party and more than anything that pisses me off. Because if criminals favored Republicans 51-49%, it would be a constant issue.

19. Gregolian

See, I never realized that this was a state-to-state thing. I always thought every state was like WA where you get the rights back when you finish your sentence which includes the fines and shit.

20. zebby23

zebby23 Red Belt

lol... seriously? Voting is one of the pillars of living in a free society. Did your time and now you should be able to vote

ChainFlow and Limbo Pete like this.